Need a s trength training routine..any suggestions??

Options
I know strength training is such a popular topic, however, I feel like getting a routine down is not as simple as doing cardio. Are you guys just doing the machines or free weights? Are there any dvd's for strength training. There is a class at my gym for strength training, but I can never make it.

Replies

• fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    A friend of mine told me about bodybuilding.com. Check it out, it's done wonders for me already, and it's only been 3 weeks.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    There is a book called New Rules of Lifting for Women. I read it and I'm following the plan outlined there. I can't afford a personal trainer, and I didn't like just trying to figure it out on my own, so I'm enjoying this.
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    Try googling strength training routine, I know bodybuilding.com has some nice routines as well. You can either use free weights or the machines if you are new to strength training.
    I go to the gym and do Beachbody's fitness programs so that's another option as well.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same things! I can go outside and run...free, easy, no time constraint. I can pop in a DVD...cheap, easy, no time constraint. GOing to a gym = membership fees, plus working that around my family time is not so easy.
  • iveycolangelo
    Options
    Im right there with you girl, I have no idea what to do to tone up...Im not very good with the repetitions part of it, or what machines at the gym do what....so hopefully someone enlightens us both
  • kk281
    kk281 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine told me about bodybuilding.com. Check it out, it's done wonders for me already, and it's only been 3 weeks.

body building.com is amazing for all your lifting inquiries
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    I have really like Jillian Michael's "No Trouble Zones" DVD. I sweat a ton and after doing it for 2 weeks noticed some big changes in my body. I have been doing it for 3 weeks 3 times a week, and then run or do the BL "Last Chance Workout" 3 days. Good luck. There is a lot to choose from.
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    I have really like Jillian Michael's "No Trouble Zones" DVD. I sweat a ton and after doing it for 2 weeks noticed some big changes in my body. I have been doing it for 3 weeks 3 times a week, and then run or do the BL "Last Chance Workout" 3 days. Good luck. There is a lot to choose from.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The more muscles you can invove in your workout, the better results you will have. Compound moves will usually give you the best workout. Machines are usually a little safer, but they isolate the muscles. You may prefer them though, because they are a little simpler too. I do prefer free weights.

There are several sites you can get good workout routines from. Bodybuilding.com has some really good ones, and they also have videos showing you how to do them. You can also get routines out of most fitness magazines. I have an app on my phone called jefit, that allows me to put in my routine,(if I don't want to use on they have) then has a timer on it to tell me when my rest set is over. It's a good way to log my workout, to tell me how I am doing.
  • beachbum377
    Options
    If you have digital cable try the 10 pound slimdown workouts. You can find the workouts under the health & fitness or exercise tv sections. It is a circuit training program where all you need is a set of 5 lbs hand weights and a mat. The program combines strength training with cardio. I saw very quick results when I followed the workout plan online. She also provides a helpful nutrition guide. Here is the link to the workout plan if you want to try it
    http://www.exercisetv.tv/slimdown/
  • alpepp
    alpepp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am following the Lee Labrada Lean Body 12 Week Challenge on Bodybuilding.com. It features a daily workout with both freeweights and machines and includes videos of each exercise. I write them down in my notebook so I can keep track. It's a really simple (but full-body, sweat-producing, hard) routine. Just pop up the Challenge on the computer and it tells you what to do that day!

It only calls for cardio on your rest days and during your back/bicep workout days. I do more cardio than that but limit (READ: SHOULD limit) it to 30 minutes on strength training days or I get really exhausted.

As a woman, it was a little bit intimidating to do the machines and freeweights in the "man" portion of the gym. I quickly got over it when I lost my first two inches off my waist. My 4 week measurements are on Sunday and I'm really excited to see the results!

P.S. Lift heavy (safely) or go home! It is physiologically impossible for women to get "bulky" so again, don't be intimidated!
  • dmhill0301
    dmhill0301 Posts: 1
    Options
    There's a pretty good app (for iphone) called BodyFitness. what's great about it is it provides routines based on what part of the body you want to work on and shows how to actually do the exercise. Great app! Try it!
  • johnstorz
    johnstorz Posts: 2
    Options
    Les Mills Bodypump is great. A lot of Gyms offer it. I've been doing it two to three times per week for the past 5 months. I've gotten great results, and it's actually a fun class. Even if you can't go regularly, it will teach you some great strength training excersises that you can do on your own time. Also, many people are surprised to find out that the classes tend to be made up of mostly women in their 30's and 40's.
  • Bigtunatina
    Bigtunatina Posts: 44
    Options
    I love love bodybuilding.com It gives great articles on nutrition and training, with examples and videos of training and different routines.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    BodyRocktv as well- not typical weight equipment, but trust me, sandbags are not light and will give you a good strength workout
  • Big_Dancer
    Big_Dancer Posts: 17
    Options
    A lot of my friends like the Crossfit Workout of the Day (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-how.html). They utilize full body and multiple muscle movements rather than isolation. I am loving the Nerd Fitness website also (http://nerdfitness.com). Has lots of great advice, for all levels.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options

I just checked the site out, OMG I LOVE IT, its so clear and tells you exactly what to do and when.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, all this was very helpful. Here's to lifting!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Same here, would like to tone up as well all i got is 3-5lb dumbells and simple exercises to get it done. When im ready to do heavier things, I was told you can make heavier weights like filling milk jugs/ reusables with stuff and so on..
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I'd try out 30 Day shred. She does some strength in there (and you can feel it!), its only a 20 min work out so at least it would be a good way to get started before venturing off on your own. Also the DVD is only $10, so that's a nice perk too. lol