Losing weight a little too fast

Options
I've mainly used MFP in the past just to check what average days for me are like calorie wise and i'd always wanted to lose a little bit of vanity weight which never really happened because i wasn't committed and measuring everything, ect. But since the middle of Jan i've suddenly lost over 10 pounds, dropping to 160 which is less then i think ive ever weighed before.

I'm just a little concernced since its coming off out of nowhere and fast if its not healthy. Even the last week i went on holiday to paris and ate like nothing but brioche and cake haha and still came home lighter.

Otherwise i'm a fairly fit 6ft guy, i run a little (as my asmtha allows a few times a week) and do general body weight excercises at home.

tl;dr - Why am i suddenly losing weight when nothing has dramatically changed in my lifestyle?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Unexpected weight loss can be a sign of a number of medical conditions, probably best to see a doctor.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    See a doctor please :)
  • zirr_
    zirr_ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You guys really think its that serious? :\

Haha i guess going to the doctor is never where my mind goes first. I certainly feel fine and healthy though.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It's been said before but I will say it again: See your doctor!
  • thinterruption
    thinterruption Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't think it's that strange. My weight constantly changes due to hormones and stress. 10lbs seems okay, but if you lose any more weight you should see a doctor (just in case).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Unexplained weightloss should be checked by a MD. Even if "just 10 lbs".
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If your goals are set to two lbs per week, that sounds about right.
  • zirr_
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's not that i was totally not trying to lose weight, just that all of a sudden it seemed to work. Maybe i should just actively try to eat more for a week or so and see how it goes.

Edit: Or i guess go to the doctor as well, since everyone has said that.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    +1 for seeing the doctor. With no other symptoms, the chances are good that nothing serious is wrong. But it's always worth getting checked to be on the safe side, just in case. Do it sooner rather than later.

10lbs is quite a bit given your total weight. I've lost 10lbs, from 154 to 144, in the last seven weeks, but it has taken a concerted effort!

EDIT: Just seen your last post. Have you been tracking all your food and exercise and eating at a calorie deficit? If so, that's not unexplained weight loss (which is a cause for medical concern). :)
  • zirr_
    Options
    My goal is set at .5 a week. Since i'm in no real rush to lose weight, since to be honest its not about the number on the scale but the mirror ever since i got to a healthy BMI.

I guess i should go to the doctor, i hate going so much haha. I always feel like it is a waste of time and they have people who need to visit more than me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Are you actively trying to lose weight? Because you are just over a lb a week which isn't bad. Have you changed any of your eating habits lately?
  • zirr_
    Options
    The only thing i guess that has changed is that i started a new job, so have been active for more of the day everyday. Eating habits not really, a typical day would be

Breakfast
    Bowl of cereal and milk

Snack
    Some kind of fruit bar/biscuit thing

Lunch
    Either dinners leftovers or soup, or a cheese toastie.
    some kind of fruit

Snack
    Stuff like humous and crackers, or some cake, a smoothie

Dinner,
    a lot of pasta, stir frys, sausages and mash. + veggies

Snack
    Stuff like ice cream or sweets, whatevers around, haha.

I dont often calorie count because it stresses me out and makes me want to eat more and i get fixated on number instead of the food.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    More active, not counting cal, has a menu that could be 1400-3000 depending on quantities (what you have really won't tell us much with regards to weight loss).

10 lb weight loss is probably in line with added activity and not much change in diet.
    If you find it odd ... Well, the advice is there already. But it's likely the new activity level.

Oh, and, if calorie counting is stressing you out there are other mental areas to work on - the right frame set will help a lot. Try to address that.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    That's a little higher than a normal large drop in beginning weeks in change as your body adjusts 3 kilos in a week isn't uncommon as the body resets and adjusts to the change and it should slow down.
    However that is still very fast and you should consult with your doctor and at least make sure you are getting all your need nutrients to avoid shock.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Oh also while muscle weight is heavier sudden change after about a month or too of constant exercise big drops are normal.
  • zirr_
    Options
    More active, not counting cal, has a menu that could be 1400-3000 depending on quantities (what you have really won't tell us much with regards to weight loss).

Yeah i get that unless i actively count and weigh my food its hard to tell anything from all that.

Just i would much rather try to eat till im not hungry rather than focusing on the numbers. Which i know isn't the sensible or effective way to do it. But it is a lot simpler and easier.