Hate the word "DIET"

Options
How many times have we all been down this road before. At the end of the day it becomes about getting our heads around the fact that our bodies need looked after and for most of us it is harder work than for others. Its quite a process to realize we need to do a lifestyle change...forever. All this really means is making better food choices and going for a walk everyday....if you want to do more that's great! Its very hard to make that adjustment in your brain to get away from the horrendous "diet" word. I have been overweight for half my life...I am 50 now and want to live the latter part of my life able to walk and play with my grandchildren...which hopefully come soon :wink: I know what its like to be on the other side of the fence...when I was young I never had any weight issues....played every sport....you know the story. I look forward to skiing next winter...something I haven't done in 26 years....but first...my daughter gets married in July...hopefully I will find a dress...and maybe I will be lucky and it won't be plus size....but if it is....it is....I am just going to keep going and make the best choices I can for me and my husband. Please feel free to add me if you are on the same wavelength...lol!! I look forward to continuing my journey....for life!!!

Replies

• NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I also despise the word "diet". I am looking at this as a life change and an overhaul for my health and well being. I also want to lead my daughter by example. She sees me doing Zomba videos and often joins in and has started to ask questions about making healthier food choices. I am glad you are on the right track!! You definitely are looking at this the right way.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree. I prefer the word "nutrition". It is a lifestyle change to me.

We need good nutrition AND exercise to lose weight, gain muscle, get healthy, prevent injury, and live better.
  • johafuentesa
    Options
    I agree.... I prefer to change it for "habits", good habits...and just don't apply to food... I apply to everything in my life to become a better person and love myself more and more every day... :D
  • Lunastar3
    Lunastar3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I call it a Lifestyle change because, well, it is.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I use the word diet as it is intended: it's the food I eat. It's not just something "you go on." It just "is." Like a rabbit eats a diet of greens. It's not "on a diet." It has a diet.

I really tire of semantic games. This "It's a lifestyle not a diet" reminds me of born again Christians who say "it's not a religion, it's a relationship!" But really...It's still a religion.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    no matter what you call it, we cant keep eating the way we did before. I feel like I am on a diet all the time because I cant eat whatever whenever I want. It is what it is
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    at the end of the day does it really matter what you call it? Just make positive changes and hit your goals….

I dont understand the fascination with labeling everything….
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I hate the word "journey". It's not a journey, you didn't pack any bags or go on any expeditions. Diet is the food you eat. Like a panda would have a diet consisting mostly of bamboo. Doesn't mean the panda is trying to lose weight.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm with wizzybeth, I look at the word diet as the definition was intended: The sum of food consumed. It's what we eat.

What I don't get is "I'm going on a diet." Was this person not eating before? No. They are making dietary changes..
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Diet is DIE with a T. I prefer to change the way I live.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    To me, absolutely everybody is on a diet, diet meaning the foods that you habitually eat. Therefore, diet doesn't bother me. Journey doesn't bother me, either.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. To be successful you aren't dieting. You are just becoming educated about food and lifestyle choices that you will carry forward for life.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What normal English word do you propose to communicate that you are eating with the goal of weight loss? None of the preferred alternatives in this thread do that. Why make life so complicated?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm with you-I hate the expression "on a diet"!!!!
    To me diet means hunger, deprivation and punishment for being fat.
    Years ago, I finally started losing weight the moment I vowed to myself that I would NEVER go on a "diet" again.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Every person alive is on a diet. A diet is a way of eating, be it good foods and nutritious or bad stuff.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I have a very enjoyable diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I use the word diet as it is intended: it's the food I eat. It's not just something "you go on." It just "is." Like a rabbit eats a diet of greens. It's not "on a diet." It has a diet.

I really tire of semantic games. This "It's a lifestyle not a diet" reminds me of born again Christians who say "it's not a religion, it's a relationship!" But really...It's still a religion.

This is me too ^^.
    A weight loss diet
    A vegetarian diet
    A healthy diet
    whatever. A diet is what I eat.
    And if I'm trying to lose weight? I'm on a diet.