Why am I scared

Options
Why am I scared to say I really want to lose 100lbs?

I started saying I want to lose 60lbs, that wouldn't even take me out of the obese category. Then I said ok well I really want to lose 85lbs. Now the thing is I REALLY want to lose 100lbs, it will bring me right into the healthy category for my height and I've been there before and it looked great!

I think part of me doesn’t want to admit I need to lose that much, I think part of me thinks it's not possible to do in a healthy way(the last time I was there I was starving myself) or maybe I just think I'm never destined to be thin.

Then I realize maybe just maybe this is why I always gain it back, because I won't admit to myself I really need to 100lbs!

Replies

• mawhite717
    mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    the first step is admitting it.... YOU DID IT!! and you CAN lost that 100lbs in a healthy way. we will all support you!! <3
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

Would it be wrong of me to only admit it to myself and you guys? I really don't feel like telling the world :-(
  • jml107
    jml107 Posts: 27
    Options
    Don't be shy! I mean, you don't need to start shouting from the rooftops but tell the ones you love around you. They'll be supportive and make it even easier to do. When I started dieting the first time around I kept it to myself and it didn't go so well. But the second time around (now) I have told a lot of my friends and family and not only are they supportive but they also help hold me accountable.

And hey, you just told a bunch of strangers. :) The confidence you had to possess to do that is astounding. Now go kick some butt!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    We are absolutely here for you!!!
  • Soozcat
    Soozcat Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you need to lose 100 lbs., you need to lose 100 lbs. It's like balking over a particular dress size, or your age -- there's not really a point in denying the truth of it, is there?

For what it's worth, I also need to lose 100 pounds. I've been trying to think of it as losing 10 pounds 10 times. (Just not the same 10 pounds, thanks.)
  • sthum
    sthum Posts: 25
    Options
    I didnt want to admit it either!!! But this place is AWESOME with supportive friends!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • kk281
    kk281 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Why am I scared to say I really want to lose 100lbs?

I started saying I want to lose 60lbs, that wouldn't even take me out of the obese category. Then I said ok well I really want to lose 85lbs. Now the thing is I REALLY want to lose 100lbs, it will bring me right into the healthy category for my height and I've been there before and it looked great!

I think part of me doesn’t want to admit I need to lose that much, I think part of me thinks it's not possible to do in a healthy way(the last time I was there I was starving myself) or maybe I just think I'm never destined to be thin.

Then I realize maybe just maybe this is why I always gain it back, because I won't admit to myself I really need to 100lbs!

it CAN be done. it won't be easy, but you have the strength withing you to accomplish the task. don't think long term, set mini-goals. 10 or 20 lbs at a time. also don't worry about an aerbitrary number, the ultimate goal of any fitness routine should be to get and stay healthy. The weightloss is just a side effect of maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle. if 100lbs seems to duanting try setting a work out goal instead. some times i have to ignore the scale for a bit and just set a goal of working out for x amount of time in x days.
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i've been telling my coworkers, family and everyone the same thing -- i need to lose 100 pds. I'll start with the first 60 and build from there.this is a lifestyle. don't be afraid, claim your fitness goals to your heart.

YOu will do it and sayingit makes it real....
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    It's called setting "mini" goals and that's fine and works for alot of people. If losing 100 pounds is intimidating, just focus on the 40lbs at a time. I used to buy new workout music for every mini goal I reached and it made losing tons of weight more bearable. Before you know it, the majority of the weigh loss will be behind you, not in front of you!
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain - in about 2 more pounds I'll be down to only needing to lose 100.

You can do it, we are all here to help each other :flowerforyou:
  • Big_Dancer
    Big_Dancer Posts: 17
    Options
    The 100 lb mark scares me too! I think it just seems so overwhelming, and I think my commitment won't last the whole year (the max time I have set to lose it). Maybe setting smaller short term goals along with the long term 100lb goal will make it seem less daunting.

But it is possible and you CAN do it! There are lots of people on here who will help with support and encouragement. Add me as a friend if you like.
  • karatsd
    karatsd Posts: 35
    Options
    AND you are worthy of it. God wants you to be healthy and proud of yourself and you can do it! You are worth it! Right Here, Right Now, today. "It is never to late to be who you were intended to be." Don't focus on the 100 pounds, focus on the now and the first pound and then worry about the next pound after that. In two years you will look back and know it was worth it!
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You DID just admit it! I had to admit that to myself too...and I know it will be a long road ahead of me. I think for this to work we need to be honest to ourselves. Honest about how much we weigh and honest about what we did to get ourselves here. Honest about everything we put into our mouths and the exercise we do (or need to do). Too many times I would rationalize to myself why it was ok to eat half a pan of brownies, or a package of cookies or whatever. I got pretty good at coming up with excuses about how it didn't really matter. It does matter, and lying to ourselves is only hurting us...and by extension our families.

Good for you for taking that first step and admitting what need to be done!
  • wvmark41
    wvmark41 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Similar case here.

I decided to go all the way to the good, ol' days of when I felt my best. At first I thought I was crazy for such a big goal, but I'm glad I went for it.

I'm 44 pounds along my 90-pound journey. I'll be at the half-way mark by this weekend!!!!!!

That fear of failure I had three months ago is nothing but a laugh from the past now. I'm going to get to my goal and stay there!

Come on in... the water's fine... don't be chicken.... it's fun!!!!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    What does having lose to 100 pounds means? That you're a bad person? Are you a better person if you "only" have to lose 65?

It sounds silly when you think of it that way, doesn't it? Your weight is just a number. It tells us nothing about who You are. It's just information. Data. A statistic.

I started with 90 pounds to lose. It doesn't make me 10% more fabulous than you. And you are not 50% more awesome than someone who has to lose 200.

You're beautiful, lovable, and imperfectly wonderful right here and now. Who cares what you weigh or how much you have to lose? Weight is something you can change. That all of us can change. When you can get objective about it--and stop believing that having extra weight makes you less-than in any way--you are free.

So, get real. Get free.
  • karatsd
    karatsd Posts: 35
    Options
    "10 pounds 10 times" I love that!
  • Daisy_May
    Options
    I have lots of Mini goals, I've done that for the last 30lbs, maybe I need to start thinking of it as I need to lose 70lbs because 30 is already gone!!
  • Daisy_May
    Options
    I have lots of Mini goals, I've done that for the last 30lbs, maybe I need to start thinking of it as I need to lose 70lbs because 30 is already gone!!
  • Bigtunatina
    Bigtunatina Posts: 44
    Options
    I thought I needed to lose more and at my current weight I am happy. I am at 138lbs. But for my height - all the charts and articles suggest I be more around 115-120. Screw that! I am healthy, I am fit and I look good.

So if 100 lbs is what it takes for you to feel/look good then so be it. But often times I find that I end up losing much less but physically being where i want to be
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    Thank you!

Would it be wrong of me to only admit it to myself and you guys? I really don't feel like telling the world :-(

I know in the Facebook age it seems weird not to air your personal life to the entire world but feel free to share it on MFP where you can get support and encouragement. No one else has a right to know unless they come bearing a protein shake!