Going over in healthy fats

Options
Hi:) I've been concerned about going over in my fats almost daily. The fat comes from olive oil, nuts and cheese. I am always under my calorie goals, however. It's only the fat that I seem to go over in---I've been trying to cut it back, but I can go over by 18g. Need input, and many thanks:)

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The only requirement for weight loss is a caloric deficit.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to limit fats, it isn't necessarily bad to go over. The main problem with a high fat diet is that since fat is so calorie-dense, a small mis-measuring of portions can easily put you over your calorie goals. So be meticulous with weighing & measuring and you should be fine.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Unless going over on your fats is putting you into a calorie surplus, not need to worry.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gallbladder, so I should technically watch my fat intake. I totally don't, and I can't say I've noticed any ill effects. I wouldn't sweat it if your calories are still okay for the day.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    to quote Lita Ford "It ain't no big thing"
    No worries and stay in deficit...winning formula
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    As others have said, a calorie deficit is most important for fat loss. If you have particular health concerns, your doctor may have good advice for you regarding the amount and kinds of fat you eat. I will be having a cholesterol test done soon, and I will be very interested to see what my numbers are!
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calorie goal, you will continue to lose weight. But I would recommend trying to get your macros within your goals as well as a secondary objective.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone:) I am hypothyroid and take medication for it; weight loss has taken years and is an extremely slow process for me. The only thing my Endo worried about was my carb intake--I was eating too many oranges. I kid you not, LOL. I had another doctor that said eat all the oranges I want; it's healthy. I was eating one with each meal to stave off cravings of, cookies, and other fun things;)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hi:) I've been concerned about going over in my fats almost daily. The fat comes from olive oil, nuts and cheese. I am always under my calorie goals, however. It's only the fat that I seem to go over in---I've been trying to cut it back, but I can go over by 18g. Need input, and many thanks:)

I would only worry about it if your other macros are suffering because of it, especially the protein. Otherwise, if you feel good and are not hungry go for it.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone:) I am hypothyroid and take medication for it; weight loss has taken years and is an extremely slow process for me. The only thing my Endo worried about was my carb intake--I was eating too many oranges. I kid you not, LOL. I had another doctor that said eat all the oranges I want; it's healthy. I was eating one with each meal to stave off cravings of, cookies, and other fun things;)

The Endo is probably used to looking at carb numbers for his/her diabetic patients. Go with what the other doc said and enjoy your oranges. :)
    Fats and oils are good.

• autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

The Endo is probably used to looking at carb numbers for his/her diabetic patients. Go with what the other doc said and enjoy your oranges. :)
    Fats and oils are good.
    This makes sense. He also said I would have a difficult time as I am "fighting genetics"-Mom has been overweight all her life, Dad struggled with his, but lost weight quickly on fad diets. I take after him and Paternal Grandmom. I did the low carb diet thing and lost weight every day; that's when I learned I was really losing water. That's something I couldn't stay on forever, but I miss dropping the weight as rapidly as I was on that thing, LOL;) The Endo recommended tomato juice, but told me to stay under 60g of carbs a day. It was doable, but the tomato juice was high in carb and would 'eat up" a good portion of my daily carb intake. I don't think he reads labels. My labs were fine, so there was no concern of sugar or lipids. It's like these docs don't know what to do with me:) I know I need to take off 40 more pounds. Since my labs are fine, my heart rate is low, I make them aware of my exercise and food intake, they are not concerned in the least. Just feeling that I am somehow failing; there's something I should be doing; a missing link. Why is my body fighting it, as hard as I work? Makes zero sense to me; I should be Twiggy, if the truth be known:/