What a 70lb weight loss looks like on a 5'8" 54yr old female!

Options

Replies

• 1bellringer1
    1bellringer1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful, I really need to see these kinds of pics to keep me motivated. Thanks so much for posting them!
  • AzWifenMom
    AzWifenMom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you for giving me that push I needed.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    You look incredible. Love the huge smile. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing!
  • sheliajim
    Options
    You look fantastic. You did an awesome job and I'm so glad you feel better. The kitchen is beautiful too.
  • fatkidonadiet
    fatkidonadiet Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Did your diet/exercise help your autoimmune issues as well?
  • Sandra_Curtis
    Sandra_Curtis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY! I believe the nutritional changes in my diet alone accounted for at least half of my health improvements. Doctors are at least a decade behind in the research for autoimmune disease treatments. Doctors may try to treat the damage that has already occurred with prescriptions, surgery and devices, but they know virtually nothing about how to prevent further damage. That leaves patients to investigate the research on our own. I'm now gluten-free, no added sugars or sweeteners, eat less than 40% carbs, eat lean meats and good fats, and minimize processed foods (including alcohol). I didn't do it all at once. Even if I had known all these changes would help me, it would have been too daunting. I started by using MFP. Once I became 100% gluten free for about a month, I saw huge changes (even a trace spirals me into severe flare ups for weeks). A light went off. I realized these changes were no longer a choice, but a medical necessity. Looking better is nice, but regaining and maintaining my health is priceless.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You look great! But, more importantly, you look happy :) Wonderful even, you're an inspiration!
  • ojettabrown
    ojettabrown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! Will you be kind enough to tell me what your exercise regime looked like at the beginning and how it has progressed?
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • LisaPrust
    LisaPrust Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    SO proud of you! What an awesome inspiration for all of us! Thanks for sharing your pix and story-it was just what I needed to see! And the kitchen looks amazing as well!
  • Sandra_Curtis
    Sandra_Curtis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! Will you be kind enough to tell me what your exercise regime looked like at the beginning and how it has progressed?

I started by walking a couple miles. Few times a week. I hiked routinely, but I struggled with the my lack of strength and endurance. In February 2014 I started a group fitness class focused on weight loss at Lifetime Fitness. This was a huge turning point. It was 3 days per week at a scheduled time. It was a small group with other obese folks, so I wasn't embarrassed by how I looked or how out of shape I was. People would ask me why I had missed a class (so I didn't), I tried new things, worked at my ideal fat burning heart rate (not too slow, not too hard), and I stuck with it religiously until I had a long road trip starting in June. During that weight loss class I lost 35lbs! During my 4 mos road trip of over 12K miles, exercise was difficult. I was also battling a shoulder overuse injury and plantar fasciitis. (We averaged 600 miles per day shuttling across the US to get to graduations, two weddings, caring for parents in MI and OR, dropping our freshman daughter off to Arizona State and a funeral). The best I could do was monitor my calories and walk when I could. I was fortunate that I gained less than 5 lbs and was able to return to my more rigorous exercise when I returned home in Oct 2014. I could no longer afford the weight loss class, so I took the plunge to join "regular" fitness classes, combining cardio and strength. In Feb 2015 I've notched it up again, a core class 3x a week plus 2 60min strength workouts. In an attempt to continue weight loss I also add at least 500 cals of cardio 6 days a week. (I'm not losing weight (yet) using this last strategy but my body fat percentage has dropped from 31% to 25%). I still hike once per week (when it's not too icy), but I'm proud to say I've doubled my speed (from 1.5 to 3 mph), increased my distance and difficulty (usually 6-8 miles), and my endurance gives me hope to be more successful on multi day backpacking trips.
    Currently I eat 1500 calories and exercise an average of 600 cals.
    My tips are: Stages. Routine. Group classes. Dedication. Variety. Heart rate monitor. MFP!
  • want2feelbetter
    want2feelbetter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well done !!!! Thanks for inspiring us all ; )
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! Glad you feel better too! Good job!!!
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration! You look amazing and it's wonderful to know how just how much of an impact your new lifestyle has had on your health.
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! I've lost 65 and my mission this year is to get down another 20-30 pounds. Your success is inspiring!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Well done and it just goes to show what determination looks like and how powerful we are.
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You have a wonderful healthy glow. What exercises did u enjoy most?
  • 1905Jane
    Options
    You look great. I just started my life changing journey yesterday and I hope that I can look as good as you do.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Job very well done. You look great!!!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous. We had about the same starting weight, but I still have 20lbs to go to get to where you are. Glad to see it can be done!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!