how long does it take you to log a home cooked meal?

Options
mkakids
mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
edited February 2015 in Introduce Yourself
It took me 9 minutes to log breakfast! 1 whole egg, 2 whites, 1/8c shred cheese, turkey, slice toast and butter.

I rarely eat the exact same thing twice, so it seems like I spend a ton of time logging. Just wondering if its my phone (1 month old, but I had this ussue with the last one too) or if its mfp?

Replies

• KLiK3xs
    KLiK3xs Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    It took me 9 minutes to log breakfast! 1 whole egg, 2 whites, 1/8c shred cheese, turkey, slice toast and butter.

I rarely eat the exact same thing twice, so it seems like I spend a ton of time logging. Just wondering if its my phone (1 month old, but I had this ussue with the last one too) or if its mfp?

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Hard to compare because I eat the same thing a lot. But if I were to log what you listed that would take me about two minutes.
  • KLiK3xs
    KLiK3xs Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What was it that took so long? Searching for items, waiting for results, etc.?
    The handy barcode scan is helpful. Although lunches at work are routine, breakfast is somewhat routine, my dinners are rarely routine.
    Having a spouse who cooks mostly homemade Japanese dinners, it is a challenge to find exact dishes for calorie count.
    Most of he time I'll choose something already posted then guess at the portion size.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    barcode helps

over time you build up your own database of foods that you buy/eat so it gets easier and faster
  • TiffKouns
    TiffKouns Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    How do you log with a bar code?
  • arditarose
    Options
    tkouns2015 wrote: »

....just scan it with the app
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is lagging on everything and is slow.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 2 minutes, and that is if I'm doing a larger meal. When I first started it took longer, but it gets easier as you go. Save things you eat often as a meal or a recipe, then it is just a few seconds to log. Good luck!
  • TiffKouns
    TiffKouns Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

What app MFP, sorry I didn't know we could do that , where on MFP do I find that option?
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

What app MFP, sorry I didn't know we could do that , where on MFP do I find that option?

On the iPhone, if you click add food you should see a little barcode on the bottom right hand corner. I don't know about other phones.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There should be a small barcode symbol on the bottom right of the app when you click to log food or add recipes
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You can only scan food in using the app on your phone, it is not able to be done from the website
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I use my computer most of the time because i have trouble navigating the food diary on my phone. it sometimes takes a long time because of internet performance especially if I do a food search
  • ahokay89
    ahokay89 Posts: 353
    Options
    I usually use the barcode but have to compare what comes up on my phone and what my package say. Sometimes it's way off so I have to enter everything in manually.
  • mkakids
    Options
    Mostly waiting to get to each next screen. I used the barcodes where I could, but couldn't use them on the turkey, butter, or egg whites.
  • mkakids
    Options
    I thought I posted this in general weight loss. Not sure how it ended up in introductions!