Cambridge Diet

Options
Has anyone done the Cambridge Diet? If so, what are your thoughts on the diet? How much weight have you lost? Thanks

Replies

• PoisonIvy088
    Options
    Eat what you like + Reduce portions = weight loss.

Diets/diet pills/juicing/fads = unsustainable = weight regain very quickly.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Very low calorie diet. Bad.
  • hanajbanana
    hanajbanana Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Honestly I haven't tried it, but what worries me about diets like that in general is that it doesn't teach you good habits for the long term, so you might lose weight but then you'll just be stuck in a cycle of losing-gaining-going back on the diet again (not good for you, but very good for the company selling you the products!)

You have to find what's right for you, but I think a lot of people would agree with me that losing weight isn't rocket science - just eat less calories than you burn, aim for a sensible rate of loss (no more than 2lb per week) and, if you want to, find an exercise that you enjoy (but the food is key... concentrate on that first).

If you have patience, weigh your food and be honest with tracking your eating and activity with MFP, it'll work... and no fad diets or massive expense either :smiley:
  • emc2fit
    emc2fit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    jennc6977 wrote: »
    Has anyone done the Cambridge Diet? If so, what are your thoughts on the diet? How much weight have you lost? Thanks

Absolutely horrific. Would not recommend. It'll burn a hole in your pocket, you'll be very hungry, and it's all BS nutritionally! The best solution is to make healthy choices and count calories with MFP. Much more effective and helps build good habits for life :) It is truly awesome and not an 'all or nothing' thing. Cambridge diet you're either on it or you're off it. MFP, you're just making small adjustments for a better and healthier lifestyle.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    The core of the Diet in the UK is a very-low-calorie diet (VLCD), as low as 440 calories/day, combined with minerals, vitamins and fatty acids to reduce the loss of nutrients typical of low calorie restriction.

Sounds miserable.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Run away. Don't walk. Run.

If you follow this advice, you'll burn more calories, too ;)
  • jaydeehermie
    jaydeehermie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi iv just started the cambridge diet its my first week and im feeling great! My skin has cleared up and im full of energy. My boss is on her 3rd week of the diet and has lost 8kg (also eating through the easter holiday) and her friend lost 35kg over 4months on the cambridge diet. I love it for myself and recommend it. Iv tried weight loss pills, personal training and many diets and find this is easy and works well for me. Start on step two so your allowed one meal a day along with your cambridge sachets x
  • RuthEliz89
    RuthEliz89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi jaydeehermie! Thanks for sharing. I've just started the diet myself and am currently on day 4 of sole source. I think yesterday and today have been the hardest so far. At what point does it get easier? Xx
  • RuthEliz89
    RuthEliz89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi iv just started the cambridge diet its my first week and im feeling great! My skin has cleared up and im full of energy. My boss is on her 3rd week of the diet and has lost 8kg (also eating through the easter holiday) and her friend lost 35kg over 4months on the cambridge diet. I love it for myself and recommend it. Iv tried weight loss pills, personal training and many diets and find this is easy and works well for me. Start on step two so your allowed one meal a day along with your cambridge sachets x

Hi jaydeehermie! Thanks for sharing. I've just started the diet myself and am currently on day 4 of sole source. I think yesterday and today have been the hardest so far. At what point does it get easier? Xx
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I overheard some women in the kitchen at work the other day talking about the Cambridge diet.

One of them was saying what was in her lunch - some creamy fish thing. She said "I'm eating this before I start the Cambridge diet and can't have it again" "does it work, the Cambridge diet?" Asks her friend "yes, it's really good, I do it every year" :huh: :noway: :laugh:
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what these diets are when people ask, so I had to look this on up. A couple of gems I found: "If you have 15 pounds or less to lose and you are willing to go without conventional food for up to 2 weeks - the Fast Start Program is for you." Wow, terribly unhealthy.

And: "Through the balanced nutrition of the Cambridge Food For Life Nutrition formulas, your body will get the critical nutrients it needs to maintain good health in only 420 calories each day." No, just no.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Is this an MLM? Something about all these "it's fabulous" posts from brand new members is giving me that idea.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Is this an MLM? Something about all these "it's fabulous" posts from brand new members is giving me that idea.

Yup.

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I did Exante which is a cheaper version of Cambridge. Lost a stone in a week and then missed food so err ended up at WeightWatchers. I learnt from all my past dieting mistakes and now do it the proper way. Using a calorie deficit and exercise. Lol enjoy your shakes and vile soups. You'll soon get fed up.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Yup.

Well, look at me. I'm Nostra-flippin-damus.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Reported - against forum rules.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    There were half a dozen fat ladies at my wife's work who did this or some other awful VLCD. About half of them quit. The other three lost a lot of weight and looked unhealthy as s**t. Every single one of them put it all back on and more when they went back to eating real food.

It teaches people nothing about proper eating. Nothing.

I'll tell you exactly what it teaches you... That there is NOTHING finer than the chewing and tasting of actual food.
  • frazerkate_sw
    frazerkate_sw Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My Dad and Step Mum did this diet a few years ago. I don't know the figures for losses, but my step mum went from a size 24 to a size 16 in about 4 months. She is now a size 26, and had no time in which she maintained her loss. My Dad lost quite a bit (5XL to 2XL) too, but is now AT LEAST a 5XL. I would advise you against this. It is a fad diets and you won't be able to maintain the loss as you don't actually learn anything from it. Weight loss is a simple formula of having your calorie intake lower than your output with approx. 3500 kcals equaling 1lb.

Would you rather lose the weight having soups and shakes, or having roasts and steaks?
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Would you rather lose the weight having soups and shakes, or having roasts and steaks?

❤LOVE
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options

and don't forget chocolate and ice cream