The Struggle is Real.

Options
KGRebelRanch
KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
I'm constantly floored by people, especially when dealing with sales.

I breed rabbits. I posted every rabbit I currently have for sale, with photos, on several local facebook pages-price, location, phone number, gender, breed, everything you need to know.

All of the rabbits are either black or white.

First question: Do you have any brown rabbits for sale?
2. Where are you located?
3. is this one male or female?
4. How much are you asking for them?
5. I know you're asking $20, but can I get it for $5?
6. If I buy two rabbits, how many chickens can I get too?
7. Do you sell turkeys?

This happens. Every. Single. Time.

And I fight the urge to ask people if they're illiterate or just willfully stupid.

Three phone calls, back to back, just today and all THREE of them got ANGRY with me when I explained that I ONLY HAVE BLACK OR WHITE RABBITS. One called me a very long profanity because he "wanted Holland lops" and I apparently have some hidden somewhere. He was still mad when I gave him phone numbers of local lop breeders.

Sorry. Had to get it out, lest my phone ring and I tell someone that they are as dumb as a bag of hair.

Replies

• PerfectMisfit
    PerfectMisfit Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    But why? Why don't you have any brown rabbits?

Get out of sales if you can't stand dealing with people is the best thing you can do.
  • KGRebelRanch
    Options
    Oh, I HAVE brown rabbits. But I like them, so they aren't for sale ;)
    Fortunately for me, I sell enough (to people with at least a double-digit IQ), that when someone calls and gets irate over something because they chose to ignore the whole ad....

I can call them stupid and not worry about it. As an added bonus, we eat everything we don't sell.
  • outtamyweigh
    Options
    Ring..ring..."hello, um yes I have black rabbits and white rabbits, NO no brown rabbits those I do not sell, we just eat those" Maybe they'd like a take out menu?
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Razmataza wrote: »
    But why? Why don't you have any brown rabbits?

Get out of sales if you can't stand dealing with people is the best thing you can do.

There's only so much stupidity a seller should have to deal with.

I have an online business, and you wouldn't believe some of the things people ask or assume. It's like people don't take the time to READ or even do something as simple as LOOK at the d*mn pictures.

I feel for you OP. As the seller, we're the ones "at fault". There are days I just want to tell people exactly what I'm thinking...but thankfully never quite do.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    On a side note. I really want a Lionhead rabbit. You do have those available, don't you??

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • KGRebelRanch
    Options
    I actually got a call for lionheads earlier. They were very polite and friendly, and I gave them every contact I have that happens to have lionheads!
  • KGRebelRanch
    Options
    What kills me most is the people who link back to my personal page, see that I have goats, ducks, chickens, etc-and then call the number off my rabbit ad to ask about the goats.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Do you have any emus? I want one.
  • KGRebelRanch
    Options
    No, but ironically enough I have an uncle who raises them. O.o

I actually want a few, but I don't have the fencing for them (yet).

(please don't tell my husband....he doesn't know we will get emus someday.)
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Some times people really truely surprise me.

In that, sometimes, it is extraordinary that they have not yet been culled by natural selection...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I regularly send out large broadcasts, invitations to a training session. My announcements have all the information a person may need, including transportation and parking options. My maths work out that an announcement to a thousand users will garner two thousand phone calls. It doesn't matter how thorough my announcement is; they call anyways.

After a deep think about the issue, I concluded that registering for training produces anxiety. Anxious people don't use the thinking part of the brain; they need a human touch. So the call is to reduce the anxiety. So I chalk up the phone call as a free therapy session.

The sellers that totally have it going on is Pike's Place Fish. One of the principles they use that really transforms the exchange is that they try to "make the day" of every person who comes in to the store. I'm a huge fan and when I dropped in on a pilgrimage, they truly did give me a transforming experience. I bought one can of salmon (not a huge fan of fish), and their latest book. The guys all took a moment to sign it for me.

I left the fish stall with tears streaming down my face, I was so happy. Hubby didn't "get it" at all. How often do you get the chance to chase down the hype and find that it is for real?
  • KGRebelRanch
    Options
    Right? I try so hard as a seller to really take time out to teach people (I get first-time livestock owners daily) what I have learned through my years. I can tell you, if you buy a chicken from me, which chickens are its parents, what its favorite treats are, everything health-wise it has had done, etc.
    Same goes with my rabbits-I can tell you three to five generations back on them all-what colors you could get breeding specific rabbits, what treats they like or dislike, etc.

It just gets so mind numbing when people call day and night to ask me questions I answered in the same spot they got my phone number from, and even more so when they get angry that I can't manifest a specific breed/color at their whim.

I enjoy my job-I really do-90% of my customers become lifelong friends after one meeting. The other 10% are infuriating.
  • mmmMiMi
    mmmMiMi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm still sittin' here, thinking
    "Who bursts into profanity...over BunBuns???"
  • KGRebelRanch
    Options
    I also try very hard to reduce the amount of "money breeders" in the area, that buy an animal to shove it in a cage for the rest of its life, using it only as a means to an end. I don't sell to those people. And I get a lot through here.

But here's my thing: I may be living well below the poverty line, and we may not always be able to pay our bills on time-but I am not sacrificing my morals for money. If you cant treat the animal you buy from me with dignity and kindness, you can buy from someone else.
  • mmmMiMi
    mmmMiMi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I wish this was like FaceBook, so I could click "LIKE" on ^that
  • KGRebelRanch
    Options
    mmmMiMi wrote: »
    I'm still sittin' here, thinking
    "Who bursts into profanity...over BunBuns???"

You would be surprised.