What really sucks about cooking from scratch...

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Food timing. Oh gosh I suck at this. I always end up with cold roasted veggies or meat while I wait for the potatoes to finish boiling or something :'(

It's called learning, it's really not that difficult. Once you cook something once and it turns out to your liking, you know how long it takes, make note. Then whenever you cook that component, you know how long it takes and hopefully you can combine with other past experiences, so it all gets to the table at the same time.

Does that account for the time lost on the boiling potatoes because hubby decided it was too high and turned down the heat on the stove? But my main issue is roasted veggies. Typically I have no idea how long it will take the veggies to roast, if you look for times online it's always all over the place...

Again, humans as well as many animals have the ability to draw upon past experience. If you've roasted veggies a few times you should have a good idea approx how long it takes to cook properly. If it's a brand new veggie you've never ever cooked, online/recipes will give you a rough approx of how long it'll take, once you cook them them according to the directions you'll know if you have to add or subtract time. Learning isn't that hard...

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    beets4us wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    What sucks about cooking is mountains of dirty dishes.
    The rest of it is fine with me.

This is why I am looking forward to having children.

Good luck with that.
    (Have a child... still have mountains of dirty dishes... more people in a family makes more dirty dishes but not necessarily more people washing dishes)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    But my main issue is roasted veggies. Typically I have no idea how long it will take the veggies to roast, if you look for times online it's always all over the place...
    The temperature of the vegetables (room, refrigerated, frozen) and the size is probably what's causing the variations in cooking time. Just try and be consistent with those two things and you'll get consistent cooking times you can plan the rest of your meal around.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Slow cookers are the best - all done at same time lol

I LOVE my crock pot!

Me too. Without that thing I'm not sure I would ever have learned to cook!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked my crock pot. I like a few things with it, but mostly dislike the consistency of what comes out...
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I roughly know how long each thing is going to cook, so I set lots of timers. The item that cooks longest goes on the stove first, then a timer goes off for the next one that takes a shorter time, and a timer for the one that takes the shortest time goes on last.

I love timers. I'm a bit ocd like that. :)

I do the same thing, mainly because I am math challenged, and the timers make it easier to remember when to start the next thing.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    jordistsm wrote: »
    Crushing garlic. I LOVE garlic - would add it to every single meal if I could. But garlic crushers are messy and annoying, and I haven't mastered the chef's way of using the flat side of the knife blade. It's a good thing I don't mind getting bigger chunks of the stuff every few mouthfuls!

Oh, and cleaning up afterwards. Love planning, preparing, and cooking food. But loathe any form of housework, so the clean up is my most hated part of cooking. I do it. I just hate doing it.

I learned a handy trick for dealing with garlic instead of using a crusher or garlic press. Use a good quality zester. It breaks up the garlic so you're not getting big chunks and releases the flavor beautifully.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Yup. Hate them. I love to cook, though.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jordistsm wrote: »
    DebzNuDa wrote: »
    I always set up my recipes with MFP and it all figures it out for me (as long as I can select the item with grams. I so hate it when an item is setup as "medium", "cup", etc. Can't trust any item that way). Then, I put everything with my name in the beginning of the recipe (i.e.: (DebzNuDA) Chicken Curry with Sweet Potatoes and Pineapple). It's so easy to find and log. If I find that I need to change a recipe then all I need to do is "Edit" the recipe.

Yes! This! I get sick of trawling through all the entries with 'cups'. Just put in the freaking grams, people! (I'm calm, I really, really, am.....)

I end up with some freakish diary entries because of this. I know how many grams are in the cup sometimes thanks to the food package, then calculate the percentage I'm using and end up with some weird fraction of a cup based on how many grams I'm using.

I really should be the unlazy one and add an entry that calculates a correct entry for these things.

• Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I wish I had someone to cut up all the veggies for me. I'm so slow with the chopping part. Maybe it would go a lot faster if I wasn't obsessed with the veggies being all the same size. Ha, ha, ha, ha.
  • ljallen2000
    ljallen2000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I'm not good at knowing what's missing, what needs to be added to make it taste better. I didn't grow up around any cooks.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Dishes....cleaning the flipping dishes.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What sucks most right now? My stove and oven went out, I have no slow cooker, and it's 36 degrees outside while I cook on an open fire. -_-

And then I have to do the dishes.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    beets4us wrote: »

This is why I am looking forward to having children.

I hope that you're only joking because I had to raise myself & my siblings & it wasn't supposed to be my responsibility.

Dishwashing is a reasonable chore for a child.

In my opinion, raising younger siblings is NOT a reasonable chore or expectation. Sorry that happened to you, it really sucks. (Just one of the 8000 reasons the Duggars can bite me) But, kids do need kid-appropriate chores. Folding laundry, washing dishes, helping with sweeping/vacuuming....normal. "You've been assigned your little brother?" Not so much.
  • JaneiR36 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    What I hate about cooking from scratch, is when I search for recipes; not all of the ingredients are from scratch & so then I have to search for that separately as well. For instance I wanted to make Worcestershire Sauce but it said to add Soy Sauce, that's it; no recipe for the soy sauce was included. Obviously if I use store bought Soy Sauce, then the Worcestershire Sauce; wasn't made from scratch!

I know, right? My recipe from yesterday called for salt, so I had to go grab a bucket of sea water and wait for it to evaporate. Could have saved me so much time by food prepping the day before if the recipe clearly detailed the salt making step!

Nice try but salt is only one ingredient of an ingredient, whereas Soy Sauce; has several ingredients.

I do frequently use a recipe that calls for seasoned salt...

Last night I actually made a single serve cake that needs applesauce. Ever since the first day I made the cake and didn't feel like going out to buy a jar of it, I've been making mine from apples, water and cinnamon. To me it's just a bit ludicrous to expect a recipe to have that level of detail. I would think it would be your responsibility to review the recipe and find sub recipes if you prefer not to buy common ingredients. I mean what if people prefer to grow their own potatoes and need a several month head start before they can make scalloped potatoes??

Actually the Soy Sauce & Apple-Cider Vinegar, to make Worcestershire Sauce take several months to make because some of the ingredients, have to ferment. Some people, especially children and/or new cooks whom want to even just try to make something simple from scratch, might not realize that a particular ingredient; isn't in it's natural state from the recipe. I am just trying to be as health conscious & processed free as possible, so if I could potentially substitute an ingredient and/or even reduce it, it makes sense to me; for all of the ingredients to be listed. There can be a lot of different things, that one might have to look up separately; for a single recipe. If I just type "How to make Worcestershire Sauce", I expect to get a simple list of ingredients but when I typed "How to make Vegan Worcestershire Sauce from scratch", I expect to get exactly what I asked for; which of course is a more complex list of ingredients.
  • About the sauce thing, well, if I have to buy some soy sauce to make Worcestershire sauce, well I might as well just buy a bottle of Worcestershire sauce, you know? So I see her point...

Exactly my sentiment!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I get really grouchy really fast if hubby doesn't hustle to the table when it is at it's peak (I'm getting pretty good at timing everything to be ready at once). Then he has the gall to ask howcome the stuff at the restaurant is better? Because he is ready and waiting when the meal at it's peak, DUH! This weekend I decided to dial back my anger a notch and wait until his favourite program is finished. But that meant the asparagus was overdone, and wasn't nearly as nice as it had been ten minutes ago. Frustrating.
  • jgnatca wrote: »
    I hear you. I get really grouchy really fast if hubby doesn't hustle to the table when it is at it's peak (I'm getting pretty good at timing everything to be ready at once). Then he has the gall to ask howcome the stuff at the restaurant is better? Because he is ready and waiting when the meal at it's peak, DUH! This weekend I decided to dial back my anger a notch and wait until his favourite program is finished. But that meant the asparagus was overdone, and wasn't nearly as nice as it had been ten minutes ago. Frustrating.

Have him cook & you be late, then see how he likes it. Sometimes a taste of one's own medicine, is exactly what they need.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Logging recipes when the recipe list is in imperial but your actual ingredients are in metric. I have no idea what 3 oz of peanut butter is, but I could easily measure out 25 g. There ends up being too much math involved.

This goes for calculating what 400 degrees is with a metric oven.

I put an ounces/grams/cups chart on my fridge and that is helping a lot. I've used it twice this weekend.

UK-US-cups-grams-ml-convertion-chart1.png

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Food timing. Oh gosh I suck at this. I always end up with cold roasted veggies or meat while I wait for the potatoes to finish boiling or something :'(

Like most things, it gets easier with time and practice.