Raw chicken in the crock pot

Options
kimmerroze
kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
So my mind has been mulling over a rocking bean and chicken crock pot dish.

Kinda like chilli but I want to cook the chicken so long it falls off and shreds up, or when it comes time to eat it I can shred it off the bone easily..

My question is this

I bought some chicken its the drumstick and thigh all together still connected. (I got a GREAT deal on it) If I put it RAW in the crock pot with my beans and veggies, would it easily cook raw, or should I cook it some first?

Replies

• think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You can put it in there raw. I do this with whole chickens all the time.
  • jackiemomx2
    jackiemomx2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've done frozen chicken breast on low for 9-10 hours and they come out perfect! The meat shreds with a fork. Love it.
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    You can put it in there raw. I do this with whole chickens all the time.

How long does it usually take you to cook it? Just curious?
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    It will cook even if you put it in completely raw
  • bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    I always put chicken in the crockpot raw.
  • tukrainets
    tukrainets Posts: 119
    Options
    bump
  • Vkoons3
    Vkoons3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I make whole chickens in the crock pot all the time but I usually don't put my veggies and stuff in til later because I don't want them to soft to where they turn to mush. I never cook the chicken at all before I put it in the crock pot and it is really good it is one of my kids favorite meals and I only put a little mrs dash on the chicken and a cup of chicken broth its great.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Yep throw it in raw for 8-10 hours on low or 4-6 on high. Just a word of warning - the last time I got a great deal on the chicken legs and thighs together - it was a really odd cut. I did them up in the crockpot- but ended up with lots of little vertebrae type bones in the dish that were highly annoying. Just a watch out- hopefully mine were just a weird batch.
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have recipes where I put chicken breast in raw. I cook it on low 6-8 (usually done in 6) hours and hi 4-6 (usually done in 4) hours.
  • tigerlily0102
    tigerlily0102 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you can put it in raw and it will cook just fine.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    You can put it in raw but I almost always cook and shred/cube my meats ahead of time so I get to marinate/spice them up the way I want and then I add them to the crock pot - plus this will generally reduce the overall cooking time required.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    The chicken will cook in the crock pot even if you put it in raw - but what I like to do is, to trim the chciken first and then boil it for about 5 mins to get the extra fat and skin off. This just helps make it a cleaner and less fat meal. I tend to this chicken to prepare it the healthiest way possible. Hope this answer helps!!!
  • MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've done a pulled BBQ chicken with the thigh meat. I put it in the crock pot raw with the sauce and then let it cook for 5 hours. When you take the chicken out it falls off the bone. Then you take two forks and shred it. Delicious!
  • cindylouk
    cindylouk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It will cook in the crock pot. I do it all the time w/raw chicken and it will fall off the bone when it is done:smile: .
  • candacecollins
    Options
    I cook my thawed out whole chickens on low for 6-8 hours in a box of stock. But you could use water if u had to.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Put it in there raw. Just make sure you add some water or liquid.

This morning I put 1/2 pork tenderloin seasoned (raw,) brown rice and enough water to cook the rice in this morning. It is going to be super yummy when I get home. I will pair it with some black eyed peas, creamed corn and salad. All for 428 calories!!!
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am definately going to give it a try! I cant wait!
  • bpecherek
    bpecherek Posts: 1
    Options
    I use raw chicken in the crock pot all the time.

Put everything in the crock. If you are using canned beans, I would drain them first. Use 2 cups of chicken stock for a meatier flavor. I will frequently use a juice pack (any flavor) and one cup chicken stock. This gives everything a little more flavor.
    Garlic and onion for / to taste, a couple of twists of pepper. Turn crock pot to high for 30 minutes then to low. Leave on till you get home from work.
    Pick up a bone, the chicken will fall off. I will then go through the pot removing the bones, tendons and cartilege.

Serve over rice or in a soft tortilla with sour cream and rice. Great dish.

You can play with spices if you like more kick or if you want it sweeter add more fruit.

Enjoy.
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    I use raw chicken in the crock pot all the time.

Put everything in the crock. If you are using canned beans, I would drain them first. Use 2 cups of chicken stock for a meatier flavor. I will frequently use a juice pack (any flavor) and one cup chicken stock. This gives everything a little more flavor.
    Garlic and onion for / to taste, a couple of twists of pepper. Turn crock pot to high for 30 minutes then to low. Leave on till you get home from work.
    Pick up a bone, the chicken will fall off. I will then go through the pot removing the bones, tendons and cartilege.

Serve over rice or in a soft tortilla with sour cream and rice. Great dish.

You can play with spices if you like more kick or if you want it sweeter add more fruit.

Enjoy.

Sounds amazing.. this is somethinig along the lines of what I was thinking.. My husband HATES rice, so I am the only one to eat it, but I think I will do tortillas for him!

thanks MFP for all the great advice!