Taking mini meals to university (low cal)

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for meals I can cook and then take to university to last me throughout the day? My workload has seriously increased so I've been spending 9-6 either at university or the library. At work I have the use of a microwave so there are a lot more options but at university I don't. Normally I take something like a salad sandwich or chicken, brown rice and veg. Are there any nice meals you take to work or uni?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wraps, (you can fill these with sandwich fixings or eggs, meat cheese etc.). Leftovers are always great, because you can eat them cold.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    can of tuna mixed with a smashed avocado.
    hard boiled eggs with guacamole/hummus with chips/veggie sticks
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I quite often throw a lot of spinach in a container and slice up some strawberries to throw in (it makes it really sweet and nice, but doesn't make the spinach all gross like having dressing on it for hours might do). I also wrap up some lunch meat to have, and include some babybells, granola (or whatever type of bar) bars, and an apple, or other fruit. Sometimes I'll even throw in some raw green beans to snack on. I like having snacky things that I can eat when I get a break.

Otherwise, the wrap idea is good as it is very quick to put together and eat. If you want a proper warm meal, then I'd suggest making extra food the night before and having leftovers, as Lifting4Lis said.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    In the summer I used to make salad nicoise with fresh tuna, eggs, anchovies, big chopped salad, new potatoes, olive oil and balsamic .. I'd just make a huge chopped salad and add different things each day

Sandwiches, wraps

You could still take hot things and invest in a wide-mouthed thermos flask - soups and stews etc http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainless-King-16-Ounce-Midnight/dp/B0017IFSIS/ref=pd_sim_k_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=00C0ZY3XGFJBKT0KS92Z
  • Rebekkadorn
    Rebekkadorn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'm planning my weeks meals with your suggestions:)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic (now in remission) I've gotten used to carrying snack foods with me that are high in protein and don't require refrigeration. Having a stash on hand in your back pack is handy in emergencies.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504

Salads work as long as you keep the dressing and the dry-crispy (croutons) separated until you eat it.
  • weightsnbakes
    weightsnbakes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love soup and have a small 160z thermos flask that I take with me. It stays warm about 5 hours so that could be an option for lunch.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I cut chicken in strips and boil on Sunday. I store them in the refrigerator in a container with water to keep them moist. Then I take a few strips out, sprinkle them with seasoning and put in a plastic baggie to take with me. Other baggies might have carrots, celery, broccoli, almonds, walnuts, Triscuits, roasted garbanzos, apples, oranges, cheese, hard boiled egg, pop top cans of tuna, sardines, yoghurt. Except for the last 3, they are all finger foods. I snack instead of eating meals and it helps me avoid eating too much.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    (*)
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Couscous! One of my favourite packed lunches is vegetables and meat fried off with some herbs and spices. Add some dried fruit. Then add dried couscous and stock. Tastes even better next day.

Otherwise I take lots of snacky things - cold cuts, chicken, surimi, fruit and veg, cereal bars. And there are always protein bars and shakes to fall back on, for variety.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Tins of mixed beans are super cheap and you can add in anything you fancy - tuna / eggs go great if that's your thing or I whip up a ratatouille also super cheap. Fine to eat cold. The beans will give you protein to give you a full feeling.

I steer clear of wraps/bread just because they make my energy crash.

You could make a frit attached and take a couple of slices. Also cheap to make. If you have a muffin tin you can make mini ones. Load up with veggies for interest.

Sushi (veggi) is also great for low calorie portable snacks. Bit more fiddly and initially a bit more expensive.

Load up on fruit to go.

Drink lots of water :)
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I like to cook up a lot of veggies in advance -- do a bit chop-and-cook prep. I find they're good cold, but I might be weird, and you have a library microwave. Anyway, cheese is a decent on-the-go protein source, so I'd probably do a meal of say, 1 apple, feta cheese & cooked veggies. Maybe a serving of crackers on the side if you like a little crunch.

You can also cook up a lot of meat in advance, and pack it. Like chicken on a baking sheet. Or meatballs (make them large, well spiced/seasoned, and bring one or two as your protein).

Crock pot or liquidy meals can be brought in a thermos.

You can make your own hummus super easily using chick peas. Which is another portable and yummy protein source, that you can use on/with lots of things. (I like the ... Ryvita crackers.)
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Should say fritata. ..
  • DottyBearP
    DottyBearP Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation... tomorrow for lunch I have bulgar wheat, mixed bean salad, mediterranean veg (frozen) and a bit of hummus. Very tasty and filling enough to get me through to the end of the day.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Do you have a refrigerator?
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    can of tuna mixed with a smashed avocado.
    hard boiled eggs with guacamole/hummus with chips/veggie sticks

I do the tuna and avocado but I usually add 1/2 cup cottage cheese as well. One of my faves.
    String cheese, carrots, and apples are my default snacks.
    Mason jar salads - check pinterest or google for this.

I work two jobs and go to school so I definitely understand the need for convenience. It is difficult sometimes but doable with some extra planning. At my busiest I always kept a bag of English muffins and some apples in my trunk- not very perishable and if worse came to worse I had something filling and fairly low cal to eat with me at school. At work I keep oatmeal packets in a desk drawer. These are my fallbacks for the days where planning fails because noteverythinggoesaccording to plan all the time. Feel free to add me - I definitely understand the struggle lol.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing is those single serving tuna packets (Personal fav: sweet and spicy) and 1 serving of wheat thins...you can take this anywhere and I always have a tuna packet in my purse in case I'm hungry, so I don't have to break down and have fast food.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I like your thinking. Plan for those long periods of time so you don't succumb to temptation and buy crappy cafeteria food (overpriced as well). Most of my suggestions have already been taken but I'll throw then in no particular order

I will add that I carry around a small cooler bag with ice pack when I bring dairy.

hard boiled eggs, nuts (any decent trail mix will do), salad, those pre-made chicken salad or tuna salad packs(with crackers included), fruit, veggies, cottage cheese and yogurt.