Struggling big time

Hi all, hoping I've got the right section! It's been ages since I posted on any forum. I've been trying for over a year now to get into healthy eating & exercising but it's been a major struggle. No excuse really, just lack of motivation & being bogged down with stress. My fiance is unwell & we've spent the last 4 years trying to find out whats wrong with him. He just keeps getting worse every year & it makes things really tough on the both of us. Neither of us have many people to lean on so we provide each other with support & I guess that often means comfort eating! Anyway I know we both really need the push because no way is he ever going to improve if we both keep piling on the pounds!

I'm desperate for budget ideas for lunch & dinner meals! We always do great at breakfast with low sugar cereals & always have a banana. Lunch & dinner are the struggles! As for exercise, we've been walking around our block everyday (except Sats & Suns) for about 2 months & gradually increasing the distance but he can't handle too much & it's a very slow pace. Despite being much more overweight than he is, I love walking & can do a fair bit but I am unable to leave him on his own. Neither of us have lost anything but at least the walks are a start. I think I'm going to start adding the exercise bike in when I can.

Would be grateful for any tips.

Replies

• gemmag72
    gemmag72 Posts: 19 Member
    I really identify with your difficulties. My husband has rheumatoid arthritis, and so we are quite limited with what exercise we can do together. I've found having a stationary bike at home helps, and also some fitness wii games. It is hard to focus on weight loss when you're so stressed, but remember that better health will benefit you both in the long run. Keep going
  • margolinville
    margolinville Posts: 127 Member
    Do you like games! This is a numbers game!
    In order to win your new body! You have got to eat less calories than your body uses! Play hard!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Write daily affirmations to support your goals. I also think you should feel o.k. about getting exercise on your own when your partner isn't up for it. My husband has an active job, so in his home time, he wants to lay around and watch Netflix. I finally figured out that this is deadly for me. So now I get out there and get in some exercise with my dog or by myself.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    I think it'll help you to break down some of your problems & goals so you can look at them separately. It'll be easier to come up with possible solutions, and you'll be able to make progress on each thing individually, and not feel like you're failing on the whole because of the areas that still need work. From your description, I see:

1. Wanting to increase exercise. Exercise is primarily for fitness, mood, overall well being. (It isn't necessary for weight loss.)

2. Wanting to lose weight. For this, you need to set up MFP for each of you. Maybe pick a modest goal to start -- even maintenance. If you've been "piling on the pounds" then you are likely eating, right now, at a gain. So even a goal of maintenance would be a reduction to start. Once you have a handle on that, shift the goal to reduction. It won't matter WHAT you eat as long as you stick to the calorie goal. (However, what you eat affects how you feel, so it will matter in that respect.)

3. Wanting to keep your food budget under control. (Coupons, check flyers for sales, check what's in season, buy things that are less convenient, cut out "extras", cut back on expensive stuff -- see below.)

4. Wanting to stop comfort eating. (Stop buying comfort foods, and pre-plan your meals & snacks if you have them, is what helps me.)

So for #1, you have already taken some steps. Your husband sounds more limited, and so his walks may be enough for him. If you would like more, and feel you can't leave the house, there are lots of great options for free on YouTube. All sorts of styles, levels of difficulty, lengths, etc.

For #2, I do suggest starting with MFP at maintenance. Get a kitchen scale. Weigh solids, measure liquids, and accurately log everything. This will probably be fewer calories than you're used to already. Then progress to setting a goal of -0.5 lb per week, or -1 lb per week. It's okay if this is slow -- it only matters that it sticks, you know? You can go faster as it gets easier to do so.

For #3, I don't know if you have any other nutrition goals or needs, or what you like, etc. But you can start by eliminating "extras" -- if it isn't a main component of a meal or snack, then it really adds up. (Soda, for example.) There are other foods that are notoriously pricey, and you could limit them -- not buy them every week, buy less, etc. (Cheese, for example.) Buying meat in bulk and freezing is one way to save money, as is buying less convenient cuts. Incorporating the odd vegetarian or vegan meal can save. Eggs are great for you and cheap where I live. Fruit that's in season and local vs out of season and imported. Even the freezer section -- check the flyer for what's on sale. Splitting a thin crust pizza between you might fit within your calorie goals. If it doesn't, make it two meals each (so 1/4 pizza each, per meal) and add a good side. You can also add toppings, like veggies, to your frozen pizza before cooking, to make it more filling. I used to make sandwiches out of frozen waffles (the boxes often go on sale for $1 here), 1 sausage patty (you can buy a whole log of patties in frozen section), 1 serving cream cheese, fresh dill, fresh green onion, fresh bell pepper. Lots of crock pot meals can be very inexpensive, so you can Google those. English muffins are often also on sale, and you can make sandwiches with those.

You can also look at meal ideas for various types of diets (diets here meaning "how you eat" not eating at a deficit) because, due to the restrictive nature, there are often a lot of creative, simple, and yummy options. You don't have to commit to one, but just for ideas. Paleo, vegan, vegetarian, clean eating, etc. Or Google budget meals, etc.

Sorry for the essay, but you asked so many questions! Hopefully something helps you or gets you started thinking about things in a positive way!
  • Thanks so much for the very helpful replies. I will reply at greater length when I have some spare time. Thank you so much futuremanda! That info is so helpful! Think when I have a few mins to myself I will sit down and work it all out.