MPF suggested a 1030 calorie diet?

Options
I always heard it went as low as just 1200 to avoid health issues, but it put my goal calories as 1030.. I changed it to 1400, which I've lost weight on before but it's discouraging, now I feel like I'm eating too much... Anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    There's a glitch right now causing it to do that for some people.

What did you put in for your goal (2lbs a week, 1lb a week, etc)? What are your stats (age, height, weight) and goal weight?

1400 seems like a reasonable goal, but if you give us more info, we can help you assess.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Glitch.

I thought mine was a little low too especially when other calculators told me I should take in more (mine is way higher than 1200 though) so after seeing so many people post that their MFP provided calories were ridiculously low, I just redid mine. It added about 200 calories back to mine which is more in line with what other sites say. It's also more in line with what my body has been wanting lol.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Maybe file a bug report with technical support? It seems like quite a few people have been reporting this issue lately; I would hope MFP techs are aware and are working on a solution, but it can't hurt to have more people report it.
  • Tiny_Charles
    Options
    There's a glitch right now causing it to do that for some people.

What did you put in for your goal (2lbs a week, 1lb a week, etc)? What are your stats (age, height, weight) and goal weight?

1400 seems like a reasonable goal, but if you give us more info, we can help you assess.

Thanks:) that makes sense! I'm 5ft 1, 54.7kg (120.5lbs) wanting to be 48kg (106lbs) It recommended 0.5kg a week (so 1.1lbs) I put my activity level as sedentary because I spend a lot of my day in classes. But I will obviously be walking/running and swimming as a form of exercise:)
    I've used MPF in the past on another account and my goal has usually been 1200, sometimes 1300. But I find that difficult to stick to and 1400 I can do to avoid coming off track:) and I still lose weight at a moderate pace (1lbs a week usually)

I just felt like now maybe I should try and eat a bit less than 1400... Adding an extra 100 calories felt okay but adding an extra 400 is worrying.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Definitely a glitch - it should bottom out at 1,200 and refuse to go lower.

If I set the following goals, I get the following net cal goal:

1lb/week = 1,280
    1.5lb/week = 1,200
    2lb/week = 1,200

Ie it stops going down at 1,200 and won't let me try to lose 2lb/week, as at my weight I can't without undereating.

Try re-entering all your stats and seeing if it kicks it back into gear? Failing that, try re-installing the app if you're using it on your phone/tablet?
  • Tiny_Charles
    Options
    Glitch.

I thought mine was a little low too especially when other calculators told me I should take in more (mine is way higher than 1200 though) so after seeing so many people post that their MFP provided calories were ridiculously low, I just redid mine. It added about 200 calories back to mine which is more in line with what other sites say. It's also more in line with what my body has been wanting lol.

Thank you:) yes! I feel the same about other sites! that's encouraging that we're not alone
  • Tiny_Charles
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Maybe file a bug report with technical support? It seems like quite a few people have been reporting this issue lately; I would hope MFP techs are aware and are working on a solution, but it can't hurt to have more people report it.

That's true, if I had done loads of research and just trusted the app i could be restricting way too low, so hopefully it'll get sorted
  • Tiny_Charles
    Options
    Definitely a glitch - it should bottom out at 1,200 and refuse to go lower.

If I set the following goals, I get the following net cal goal:

1lb/week = 1,280
    1.5lb/week = 1,200
    2lb/week = 1,200

Ie it stops going down at 1,200 and won't let me try to lose 2lb/week, as at my weight I can't without undereating.

Try re-entering all your stats and seeing if it kicks it back into gear? Failing that, try re-installing the app if you're using it on your phone/tablet?

I've just manually entered it now as I usually edit my calories slightly anyway:) but thank you for the advice:) and that's how I've always known it, never dropping below 1200
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I put your stats into this calculator: scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It puts your sedentary TDEE (what you burn daily with no added exercise) at 1649 calories.

To lose 1lb a week you would have to eat 500 calories less a day, which would put you at 1149. This isn't recommended since it's incredibly hard to get the proper nutrition at that level.

To lose 0.5 lbs a week, you would eat 250 calories less a day, which would mean you would eat 1399 calories. So that's spot on your 1400 calorie estimate. I would recommend sticking with that.

Your weight loss would be slower, but you get to eat a little more food. Eating more generally means that you will stick with it longer and will hit your goal.

Please remember that these numbers are with ZERO exercise. If you exercise you should enter that into MFP and eat back at least half of those calories.

ETA: These calculators are based on population averages, so your rate of loss may vary. You need to be patient and look at your rate of loss over time (not just have a gut reaction from week to week). Try it for a month or so, then reassess.

All of this is worthless if you don't track your food accurately. Make sure you are being as accurate as you can be in your logging. Most people recommend using a food scale for a variety of reasons. That conversation is better saved for a different thread.
  • Tiny_Charles
    Options
    I put your stats into this calculator: scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It puts your sedentary TDEE (what you burn daily with no added exercise) at 1649 calories.

To lose 1lb a week you would have to eat 500 calories less a day, which would put you at 1149. This isn't recommended since it's incredibly hard to get the proper nutrition at that level.

To lose 0.5 lbs a week, you would eat 250 calories less a day, which would mean you would eat 1399 calories. So that's spot on your 1400 calorie estimate. I would recommend sticking with that.

Your weight loss would be slower, but you get to eat a little more food. Eating more generally means that you will stick with it longer and will hit your goal.

Please remember that these numbers are with ZERO exercise. If you exercise you should enter that into MFP and eat back at least half of those calories.

ETA: These calculators are based on population averages, so your rate of loss may vary. You need to be patient and look at your rate of loss over time (not just have a gut reaction from week to week). Try it for a month or so, then reassess.

All of this is worthless if you don't track your food accurately. Make sure you are being as accurate as you can be in your logging. Most people recommend using a food scale for a variety of reasons. That conversation is better saved for a different thread.

Thank you! Yea I'll be burning roughly 1500 ish calories a week through exercise which doesn't include me walking about an hour each day on the weekends too:) so my weightloss before of 1lb a week seems accurate enough:) and the calories I know are super important, but I've been doing it on and off for almost 4 years now so I should be okay:) thanks for the advice!:)