Steal cut oats

Options
moremari
moremari Posts: 119 Member
:ohwell: How many of you eat this and how often? I'm trying to add more variety to breakfast.

Replies

• sneakmode
    sneakmode Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually measure 1/2 cup for myself and add cinnamon to it or honey. I'll also add a few tablespoons of rice milk to cool it off at the end.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I eat them. Only about once a month - well, I make one batch once a month and eat that batch for something like 4-5 days in a row. There are great oven bake steel cut oats recipes out there for variety - but I always forget about them :)
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    I eat them 4 x per week! Love them with brown sugar!!
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I make them overnight in the crock pot in the winter months. It's a really easy and filling breakfast, especially if you add a little fruit or raisins to it.
  • melandcurt
    melandcurt Posts: 16
    Options
    I eat them every weekday at work. I buy the frozen kind from Trader Joe's and mix it with a teeny amounts of butter, walnuts and frozen berries. It's awesome. I've been eating it for months and I never get sick of it. It also lowered my cholesterol about 30 points, but probably not good for people watching carbs!
  • amberlilies
    amberlilies Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started eating the quick-cooking ones (McCann's) recently as a breakfast alternative for this detox I'm doing. I boil 1/4 cup with 3/4 cup of water. I mash up a banana and cut up some strawberries to throw in there so I don't have to add processed sugar--better than any packet of oatmeal I've ever eaten!
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I eat them for breakfast every day......I usually soak a cup of them in 4 cups of water overnight, that way they don't take so long to cook.( about 15 minutes) That's usually enough for the whole week.... I warm them up with a little milk and eat them with cinnamon and some walnuts :-)
    You can also add some barley...about 1/4 of a cup...they add a nice chewy texture...
  • aekriebs
    aekriebs Posts: 45
    Options
    I LOVE Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats. A serving size is 1/4 c. dry. When I make it, I use 1/2 c. dry oats, 1.5 c water, and a dash of salt. Bring the water to a boil first, add the oats, simmer for about 20 minutes and then enjoy! I like a little cream and sugar, or they are awesome with a small scoop of low fat ice cream on top for a treat. :) I've also added dried fruit, nuts, maple syrup, honey to change it up a bit.
  • moremari
    Options
    Great responses! I was afraid it might be too soon to start so early in my process. Thanks to everyone for so many yummy recipes and brands.
  • djrick508
    djrick508 Posts: 3
    Options
    I eat John McCann Steel Cut Oatmeal 3 to 4 times a week. I alternate mornings with Fiber One cereal. Very easy to make...I usually make a double batch (2cups water, 1/2 cup oatmeal) cook on low for 25-30 min.(Refrigerate half) I add a tablespoon of smart balance light buttery spread and a teaspoon of cinnamin while cooking. I also add either a banana or 15 blueberrys. Very healthy and less than 300 cal including the fruit. rj
  • lpoppenwimer
    Options
    Another vote for McCann's with blueberries! Several times a week.
  • moremari
    Options
    :bigsmile: