Running thoughts...

Options
I am just wondering what people think about when they are running to keep themselves motivated and able to complete the run? It seems my mind interferes with my ability to complete a run sometimes!! Very frustrating! Everyone keeps telling me 90% of running is all in the mind, how true is that? :noway:

Replies

• Nadine32
    Nadine32 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I put on a book on my ipod! I focus on that and barely notice when my run is finished!
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I listen to the rhythm of my feet on the trail... that mixed with my breathing make a really cool rhythm.
  • eabeumer
    eabeumer Posts: 8
    Options
    I review what I did that day or the day before.... I also think over past experiences I've had...you know I do a "Re-run" in my head of fun things, or situations that I'm dwelling on....Running long distances can be hard if you "can't out of your head.". Sometimes I even run scenarios about what if I was confronted by someone when running on the trail (I run in a remote part of a National Forest), how would I handle that...Hope this helps...Keep up the good work!
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I usually run with something is bothering me... what ever that may be, something in the past or something that happened that day. The extra anxiety helps me push harder and by the end I'm totally worn out and all my frustration is gone. On days that I don't have anything bothering me, I turn up my headphones and focus on the lyrics... anything to keep me from focusing on how tired i'm getting
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I put on a book on my ipod! I focus on that and barely notice when my run is finished!

That is a brilliant idea! I just pump up the music and set markers for myself along the run.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Good music keeps me going! Also, if I run outside..I tell myself the only way to get home quicker is by running not walking!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I usually run on the treadmill, so I watch cheesy 80's tv shows. My most recent series is Airwolf. :D
  • s_waser
    s_waser Posts: 92
    Options
    That is 100% true. I usually listen to music and I try to map out my run if i am running outside so I know how far I have to go. Then I look only at the ground directly in front of me not ahead because that can be discouraging especially when I am on a long inclined hill. Looking at my feet moving constantly keeps me motivated! Good luck
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have to NOT be able to hear my breathing or feet falling (others will tell me they can't run without hearing this). I also love running to books on tape (well iPod now.....) because they pull me into the story or just music. I have to make sure it is "mad" music or bubble gum pop - for me nothing else works on a run - I don't question things, just go with them........
  • amylynn9
    amylynn9 Posts: 40
    Options
    I totally agree that it's the mind! I used to run cross country in highschool, all four years. Now I was no star at it, but I did learn that it is mind over matter.

Scenerio: your legs hurt, you want to stop because it hurts so bad....
    In your mind you just have to think "one foot in front of the other."
    Pain goes away, but that feeling of "succeeding" or meeting a goal stays.

What helps me is listening to music that pushes me to run. I have to listen to hardcore music to keep moving, Britney Spears won't help me with my running. lol.

I even talk to myself (not out loud) why I am running, how I'll feel afterwords, etc.

Now I mean if you have severe pain, like that needs medical attention, that's different, but most pain is good and goes away within a day or so..

Good luck!

I just started running 3 weeks ago and I just timed my two mile run, and I ran it in 16 min 7 secs.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I completely agree...running is 90% mind!! I find myself wanting to stop after just starting!!! I'm not breathing heavy, nothing hurts, my mind just says STOP!!! lol!!! Kind of funny because I'm arguing with my self in my head!
    I usually run at the gym on the treadmill...I have music on and people watch out the windows of the gym. There's a furniture store next to the gym and a Lowes farther down...I watch the people walk in and out of the stores...silly huh?...but it helps keep me distracted. I also try to picture someone standing in front of the treadmill cheering me on!
  • jizenna
    jizenna Posts: 49
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everyone, keep it coming!!
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    if i dont have my ipod, i cant run! the min i start hearing myself breath heavy, its downhill from there. so i keep my ipod blasting and i just sing along with the songs. i run out on a trail and i know the trail well, so i just tell myself... just a lil farther, just a lil farther. u got this.... etc. lol. 5 miles later, im ready to die! but, i feel much better!
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I enjoy doing the Couch 2 5k - Robert Ullrey's version! I love the music! :smile:
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    omg, i budget the checkbook and make a mental grocery list. I am so lame, haha.....
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    omg i don't listen to anything. i don't know if that's good or bad? maybe i should! i just started running last week. i run a couple of blocks, walk a block, run a couple.....hoping i can actually run all of it with no walking tho!
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    I listen to the rhythm of my feet on the trail... that mixed with my breathing make a really cool rhythm.

Yes, running is totally a mental game...let's face it, we're nuts!

I listen to my breathing, too. As long as I can keep the same number of steps per breath, I know I'm close to keeping pace. This keeps me from telling myself, "only x miles until I'm halfway done"...which can be pretty defeating on a bad day.
  • trishobr
    trishobr Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I listen to upbeat music on my iphone. I visualize me at my goal weight/fitness level. One thing that I say to myself during the run is "lean and strong" It's my power phrase that keeps me going when I feel like quitting.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I think about running. I keep my form in mind, always telling myself to lean correctly, hold my pelvic right, abs correct, toes pointed forward. I focus on a spot far ahead to reach. I think the pure enjoyment of running to me is the not thinking process. It's me out there with no kids, husband, dogs, cats, snakes, tortoise, chickens, boss, work, parents... you get the idea, it's no worry but just me and running. I sometime listen to music, mainly only at a race because I don't want to hear other peoples conversations. I love the fact that I'm alone and thoughts are outside my scope of running.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have to say, every one of my runs is different. Sometimes I run with music, a must for longer runs, but on short ones, I might just enjoy the peace and quiet. As a mom of three, it's a nice escape. Of course, when the time comes that I feel like I can't finish, I really try to push myself through the pain. I remind myself that I've gone through labor and delivery, once without the joy of an epideral....and if I could do that than I can finish my run! It's definitely mind over matter!

Also, I ran a few weeks ago with a friend, and I have to say, that was the best motivation ever! I ran my best pace ever! If you know someone that runs, partner up!!!