How do I handle going out to eat??

Options
So I'm supposed to go out to eat with my friends tonight… normally we just stay home and cook for each other so I generally get a lot more control over my food… how do I make sure what I eat is healthy when I go out?

Replies

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Search the menu online before you go out.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If it's a chain restaurant, check out their menu and nutrition info online before you go. If you can, make your selection before you leave the house, and pre-log it. Make it fit into your goals for the day - if a half portion of what you order fits the bill, log it that way, then divide your meal in half as soon as you get it, stop eating when you're through the logged portion, box up the rest to take home for tomorrow.

That's how I do it. Even if it's a local spot and I can't get nutritional info, I might look for a similar item in the database and get as close as I can, and most times a half portion is still plenty.

And mostly, just remember that it's one night - you said you usually stay home and cook, so whatever you end up with, one evening out is not going to wreck ya. Enjoy the time out with friends!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead.

Does the restaurant post it's nutritional values online? If it does, great! Pick something that fits your goals.

If it doesn't post nutritional values, does it at least post its menu. Most restaurants do. Prelog what you want to eat. I tend to keep it simple when I have to go this route. Steak, veggies, mashed potatoes. Or chicken, veggies, rice. Etc. It's easier to log with simpler meals like that. Else, pick something in the food database that is similar from another restaurant.

If you can't pick anything that will fit your goals, pick something reasonable and only eat half. Most restaurant meals are in the 1000 calorie range. I would have a hard time fitting 1000 calories, but I can fit 500 just fine. Then I have another 500 meal that I can eat the next day too.

The biggest thing is to plan and log it ahead of time. I log everything I'm planning on eating down to the drinks and bread/butter. It helps me stick to it when I'm there.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Aim for grilled/baked meat. Avoid things cooked or topped with heavy creams/sauces/butter.
  • SweetPegasai
    SweetPegasai Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. I try to find menus and nutrition counts for the planned place (or somewhere similar if it's not available). I have a hard time picking what I want in the first place, so figuring out what I want to get helps with the that as well.

I also usually ask for a box early on or if they can box half ahead of time so I'm not going to over eat (I'm about a half portion eater anyways, so I'm going today end up boxing half unless I'm starving).
  • dwaynemachinski
    dwaynemachinski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you know the restaurant you are going to eat ahead of time, you can go online and find their menu.
    most of them now have the calorie count for each meal or side dish.
    I know Applebees, Chilli's, Longhorn, Outback and others have that.

You can either download it and take it with you, preplan your order be fore you go. Even with myfitnesspal you can also type in the place you are at and it will identify the foods with the calories.

Most places have a healthy menu now, so your options are available.
    an example for me at Longhorns:
    Longhorn Steakhouse - 6 Oz. Renegade Sirloin, 6 oz. 320 Cal.
    Longhorn Steakhouse - Broccoli, 1 side 90 Cal.
    Longhorn Steakhouse - Asparagus Side, 1 side 90 Cal.
    Total 500 Cal of a healthy meal

Trust me its awkward at first, but once you start doing this, it will come natural
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your night out to eat. One meal isn't going to set you back.

FYI most chain restaurant salads are 600-1200 calories. Texas Roadhouse grilled chicken breast is over 1000, for JUST the grilled chicken breast. It's like 3 times a normal serving and soaked in butter juice..
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Guesstimate.

Using the food scale at home is a good way to hone your estimation skills. With practice, you should be able to roughly estimate portion size just by looking at it. You won't be exact, but you should be able to approximate what was in your food. Use the recipe builder when you get home, take a guess at what ingredients went into what you ate, and come up with a number.

Guesstimate high, not low, since the human brain has a tendency to underestimate, and since restaurants like to pile on the fats and butters and oils when they cook to add flavour.

ETA: If you live in the US, many restaurants post nutritional information that can be used as a rough guide. If, like many of us, you live elsewhere, then guesstimation is your best friend.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I find appetizers and drinks are both wastes for me when dining out. If I get a drink it's usually a wine spritzer or a bloody mary, the spritzer is preferred as I sip it and it lasts longer.
    I have a few friends that I do plate sharing with, none of us eats a full plate and leftovers just don't work well with some foods. If it works as leftovers I typically split the food in half on my plate and take half home.
    Also don't be afraid to ask to have 2 servings of veggies instead of the rice or pasta or potato option if that's what you want, most places don't have a problem with that at all.

As for dessert all I'm going to say is this is the 1 thing I don't avoid, if I truly want dessert I have it but again I have friends to share desserts with so we'll order a few different desserts and nibble on each. Usually for me a bite of each dessert is plenty and I feel like I fully enjoyed the entire meal.

Hopefully that helps a little and as the poster above mentioned, check the menu online beforehand if that's an option.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    So I'm supposed to go out to eat with my friends tonight… normally we just stay home and cook for each other so I generally get a lot more control over my food… how do I make sure what I eat is healthy when I go out?

If you can't find online nutritional information (which will be inaccurate, but hopefully at least close), then just use common sense. Choose grilled or broiled over breaded and fried. Sauces on the side. Nothing smothered in cheese or cream.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I eat out at restaurants a ton for work. Here's my usual route: get an entree salad with grilled chicken or salmon, make sure it doesn't have a ton of cheese / croutons / creamy sauce on it, ask for light dressing on the side, and don't eat a bunch of bread and butter if it comes beforehand. Done and done!
  • mrson241
    mrson241 Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Everyone is saying plan ahead for good reason.

I'd like to add that the fact that you cook at home is going to assist as well, so you will be a better judge of what you know you are safe to eat. Just remember that a restaurant is going to use less healthy cooking methods, so most foods will be 25% higher calories higher than what it would be if you made them.

I have also found that taking the time to consult MFP to see what items have already been listed for the restaurant you are visiting. That will help you even more, and over time will help you learn which restaurants have friendly options!
  • AmandaLipphardt
    AmandaLipphardt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. Don't drink your calories. Avoid the telling words: creamy, crispy, battered, tempura etc. With nicer restaurants you can ask that they substitute a side for vegetables and make sure that you ask that the veggies be steamed. Many places will cook it in butter or some other fat if you don't. Get salad dressings and sauces on the side and use the fork method to eat them (dip your fork lightly in the dressing and then spear your salad so you get some dressing but not too much).
  • mrson241
    mrson241 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    PS.
    Just caring enough to ask is going to make all the difference.
    Stay focused, you have got this!
  • dbkle
    dbkle Posts: 44
    Options
    You can always ask for something simple, like steamed vegetables, when you order. Typically, restaurants are pretty flexible and capable of getting you something you don't feel horrible about eating. They'd rather have you paying them than not eating.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    google nutrition facts.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Also, you can do all these things to get blander, healthier meat n' veggies food at restaurants... Or, if you prefer, you can view your restaurant outings as treats and just order whatever you like. Just eat less of it. Get half to take home and eat it tomorrow for lunch.

This isn't a diet; it's a lifestyle change for life. You don't have to spend the rest of your life avoiding restaurants or foods you enjoy. That's not sustainable. Just eat in moderation and have fun!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I mean, I'd probably just say ''F it'' and just eat whatever I wanted. Tomorrow is another day, just eat the correct amount of cals tomorrow. I mean, when I go out to the pub and get drunk, I don't log the shots or the double malibu and diet cokes or the ouzo and diet cokes, I get really drunk and enjoy it. Granted, I'm 135lb and 163cm 5'4 so I'm a healthy weight, but I'm still losing, it just is more gradual with a social life.
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    A lot of restaurants nowadays have healthy menu options, like Applebee's Under 600 Calorie menu - just an example, but a lot of your bigger chain restaurants have these options. Even the small family-owned restaurants in my area are catching on and offering healthy alternatives. I normally pick from these menus if we dine out - unless it's a cheat meal - then I eat whatever I want.
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your profile - you're in my area... lol. You shouldn't have a problem finding healthy meal options wherever you go.