walking at lunch

Options
So, instead of sitting on my butt and reading a book during my lunch, I've been eating my lunch early(about 11), and doing a power walk for 30 mins. . gotta say, I'm feeling amazing, and burning 250-300 calories depending on the day. . we have a hilly walk behind the office building, and the office park is also hilly, so the heart rate gets a workout. I then walk back up 5 flights of stairs(YEAH!! I can do this without feeling like I'm going to pass out anymore!)

Problem is coming back into the office. . got a dirty look from someone else cuz I was sweaty LOL. . .I want to keep this up during the summer, but is only going to get hotter and more humid. .. any suggestions on how to be more 'presentable' coming back into the office? I sat down in front of my desk fan and already feel refreshed as well as JUST DAMN GOOD!!! :)

Replies

• Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I run during my lunch break 2 or 3 days a week, and I bring wet ones wipes and a small towel. If I get really sweaty I freshen up in the restroom. I also change my clothes for my run, which you might consider for your walk. And you are doing something healthy for yourself, so screw the dirty looks!! :)
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Don't let the dirty look upset you! They're just jealous!!
    Bring a change of clothes and deodorant. I've been walking at lunchtime for a few months now...it not only gives me a little more exercise but it helps my mind! lol!!
  • s_waser
    s_waser Posts: 92
    Options
    I agree keep up the good work don't worry about dirty looks. Changing your clothes and a towel always helps me. i also used to bring a mini hair dryer to dry around my face so my hair wasn't matted down (I would just dry it for just a couple mins.)
  • Sara2525
    Sara2525 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I walk at lunch in the Texas heat almost every day. I do just over 2 miles on my 30 minute break and eat lunch at my desk. I have deoderent and body spray I keep at work so I wash my face and clean up after my walk and don't worry about what the others think. Most of my co-workers think I'm crazy for walking in the heat but I'm like you, I enjoy it and it helps me get through the afternoon.
  • RaeBella13
    RaeBella13 Posts: 153
    Options
    I walk during lunch as well! My girlfriend and I were JUST talking about this! I was thinking possibly getting those face wipes (as long as you're not a makeup-wearer, this should be fine). So far, I've been running a brush through my hair and a adding a quick deodorant swipe! A lot of people walk at lunch in my building, so it isn't that unusual to be glistening when you walk back in.

Happy walking! :glasses:
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    thanks guys :) I'll pick up some little wipes, no makeup here, I'm au natural LOL Going to buy some sleeveless dressy shirts and will pick up deoderant to leave at work. . .it wasn't like I was dripping in sweat(slightly damp LOL), most people here have been supportive, I just know how the MD area will get in a month or two so wanted to be prepared :)
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I went for a walk on my lunch yesterday and it was only 75 here and my back was all sweaty when I got back. Yuck. lol I'll have to remember to try to bring an extra change of clothes to work with me.
  • kbeatty1015
    kbeatty1015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A co-worker and I do the same thing during lunch. We walk the track at our school. To be honest, we don't walk when it's really hot, because we don't want to sweaty and stinky the rest of the day. I keep deodorant in my purse and put it on before and after I walk..... that helps a bit. Could you walk inside on really hot days?
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    A co-worker and I do the same thing during lunch. We walk the track at our school. To be honest, we don't walk when it's really hot, because we don't want to sweaty and stinky the rest of the day. I keep deodorant in my purse and put it on before and after I walk..... that helps a bit. Could you walk inside on really hot days?

not a lot of walking room inside, we're a tall skinny office building, and I KNOW I couldn't do the stairs for 30 mins LOL But I can walk in the parking garage where it'll at least be a bit cooler, and then do a '*kitten* bath' :)
  • LoisSmith
    LoisSmith Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Boy we know what you mean and boy it does get warm and humid here in Indiana in the summer. I usually have to go to the restroom and freshen up and keep deo at work to use!!! I really do like to keep my walking to lunch times cause I don't always get to do any exercise when I get home. We do bike riding in the evenings but the program we are doing here at work doesn't ask for other exercise, just 30 mins of walking a day. So just keep plugging along. :flowerforyou:
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    I agree with the folks who say bring a change of clothes...even just a shirt if its not incredibly hot and humid. Its the sweat that stinks...not you. If you towel off and get rid of the sweaty clothes, voila, you won't smell. Of course, *you* may not feel incredibly fresh, but you won't be stinkin' up the office! I use to go running on my lunch break and that's what I did. Worked like a charm!