How many calories do I burn doing zumba?

Options
I'm going to a class tonight and can't find zumba in the exercise database. I'm thinking it's an hour class. Thanks!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    a HRM would be the only way to know for sure
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    You would have to a HRM to really know but I just the database "Aerobics, high impact" on here and yes, it's usually a hour long and lots of fun! Enjoy.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Zumba is not in the database but I've found a lot of people use "Dancing - General" or "Aerobics" and then choose high or low impact depending on effort.

The best way to know for sure is to get a HRM with a chest strap!
  • rice161
    rice161 Posts: 59
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba twice a week giving it everything I have so I too was worried about how to account for it. I am using the "Jazzercise" entry figuring it should be close. They estimate that in an hour of normal Zumba fitness, you would burn 500-800 calories. At my larger weight, it still tells me with Jazzercise that it would be 731 calories so it seems accurate too. I've been pacing ahead of the 1.5 lbs/ week lost that I've set up my profile for so perhaps it might even be underestimating. Hope that helps!
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The category "Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist" gives you a rough estimate for logging. I have a HRM and it's pretty close to what MFP gives in that category.
  • misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I use the database, so who knows if it is truly accurate, I also need to get a hrm. Anyways, I do Aerobics(high impact). Hope this helps :)
  • Rachele329
    Rachele329 Posts: 8
    Options
    I do Zumba at Curves and asked the instructor and she said typically a moderate effort is about 500-ish calories, but thats just an estimate. I'm surprised its not in the MFP options too...I use the dance aerobic option.
  • makmyra
    makmyra Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I added it to my database and looked it up online...the average person can burn 500-700 calories for an hour long class. Feel free to add me if you'd like...I've become a sort of zumba junky recently....I'm kinda upset they don't have more classes during the day at 24hr fitness. Anyways-don't count it as dancing or aerobics...its much more than that! Ul see....and I wore my HRM the other day to Zumba and it read I burned 900 and something....just FYI :smile:
  • Shawna0101
    Shawna0101 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and go to Zumba twice a week, for me at 5'5 and 135lbs I burn between 400-450 it all depends on your weight how much you would burn. Good luck, its lots of fun :)
  • mummakitty
    mummakitty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Guess we've all noticed i isn't in here yet.. but apparently shoud be given the huge popularity! I too put it in as a Jazzersize /dance..& the cals burned seem about right :happy:

enjoy your class!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that it really does vary based on your effort as well. In my zumba class I am all over the place cause I want to burn, but many people I notice don't put all that much effort so there is no way they are really burning much. So just go all out and enjoy! An HRM is a great motivator, it makes me jump that much high and go that much lower!
  • my3sons321
    Options
    How many calories do you burn if you do zumba with weights for 45 minutes?
  • Kate_321
    Kate_321 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I spent an hour on the wii zumba2 the other night and it said I burnt 550 calories after an hours work out.
    I love Zumba. Sadly no longer have the time to make it to class though :( I just put my own exercise in as Zumba and put the calories stated from the wii.
  • my3sons321
    Options
    Is this with weights?
  • hayjaylove
    Options
    Go to zumbacalories.com ! :)
  • jbmotley
    jbmotley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This website http://www.zumbacalories.com/ has a calculator specifically for Zumba on it. It is just an estimation, of course, but it has really helped me out!
  • CurlyNee
    Options
    I'd like to know the answer to this question also. I also do Zumba with weights for 45min. I list it under Aerobics - high impact. I'm exceeding my goal of 2lbs/week so I may be underestimating how many calories I'm actually burning.
  • HelenNis
    Options
    Go to zumbacaloriecounter.com that'll work it out for you. :smile:
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I use Zumba Calories.com and it is actually very accurate. You can add it to the Database when you put in your exercise based on the # from Zumba Calories for your personal use
  • Charlene_91
    Options

This is where i got mine from and added it to my own exercises.