Why are free weights better than the machines?

Options
SuggaD
SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
People keep telling me on here I need to be lifting in the free weights section, because the machines aren't as good and I can't possibly be strong or muscular at my weight and using the machines. What am I missing? What is the difference? When I started losing weight 2+ years ago, I started lifting at specialty gym and have been lifting ever since. I have only ever used the machines. And I'm sure I'm doing everything "wrong" and I don't even know the proper "lingo." I just go to the gym 3x per week and lift for around 90 minutes going from machine section to section and doing my thing and have progressed that way. The women I see using the free weights section of the gym don't have the muscle definition I have in the places that I've already hit goal (still working on one other), and that's despite doing A LOT of cardio. So someone please educate me. I'm always willing to learn to improve.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with machines. You can get quite a bit done with them. But free weights have many advantages:
    - Better functional motion (it is hard to build a machine that fits everybody right).
    - As a corollary, the range of motion might be harmful, causing injury.
    - In some cases, you’ll have a leverage advantage that doesn’t translate into real strength.
    - Better accessory muscle engagement.
    - More variety
    - Moving big weights are so much more motivating than moving down the weight stack of a machine
    - Extra energy used loading and unloading bars.
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Machines are great for really isolating certain muscles, but you work more muscles simultaneously with free weights. Think of all the extra effort you have to do to keep everything stabilized with free weights since you don't have a track or leverage point doing it for you.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Machines are useful, if you can put the machine on your back in the low bar position and squat it.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here will say that it's not possible to actually build muscle using machines. However, for people who are new to weight training machines can work to build a fair amount of strength.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are trying to do. I lift to improve my overall strength for everyday activities. Machines keep you in one track and stress just a single muscle group in a single direction. But your body moves in many directions when you are doing real physical work and many muscle groups are used. I prefer the feel of free weights, but I have used machines in the past for some things. As AllanMisner said above, you can also hurt yourself more with free weights.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    isolations versus compounds, efficient versus non-efficient.

Your choice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    - True and free range of motion with free weights
    - machines isolate...which is fine for accessory stuff, but your muscles do not work in isolation in the real world...they work together; as such, free weights are far better for actual functional strength.
    - With free weights you engage specific muscles and groups of muscles...along with all kinds of helper and stabilizing muscles...this is why compound lifts are so important...you would have to work on several machines to get remotely close to hitting everything you would hit with a barbell squat for example...one exercise vs numerous exercises.
    - you engage more core with free weights
    - improved balance with free weights
    - improved mobility using free weights
    - improved stability using free weights

Machines have their place, but IMO the foundation of your routine should be free weights and more specifically, compound movements that work your entire body with one exercise.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    People keep telling me on here I need to be lifting in the free weights section, because the machines aren't as good and I can't possibly be strong or muscular at my weight and using the machines. What am I missing? What is the difference? When I started losing weight 2+ years ago, I started lifting at specialty gym and have been lifting ever since. I have only ever used the machines. And I'm sure I'm doing everything "wrong" and I don't even know the proper "lingo." I just go to the gym 3x per week and lift for around 90 minutes going from machine section to section and doing my thing and have progressed that way. The women I see using the free weights section of the gym don't have the muscle definition I have in the places that I've already hit goal (still working on one other), and that's despite doing A LOT of cardio. So someone please educate me. I'm always willing to learn to improve.

dbmata wrote: »
    isolations versus compounds, efficient versus non-efficient.

Your choice.

These...you say 3x a week for 90 min each. I can get the same accomplished in 45 min 3x a week. It's not that anything is "wrong" with the machines, just think of free weights and compound exercises as "multitasking". You just get more accomplished in less time.
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am brand new to weight lifting and am sticking with machines right now... I have seen significant muscle improvement by using various machines 3x a week. It's been really nice for me.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with machines. You can get quite a bit done with them. But free weights have many advantages:
    - Better functional motion (it is hard to build a machine that fits everybody right).
    - As a corollary, the range of motion might be harmful, causing injury.
    - In some cases, you’ll have a leverage advantage that doesn’t translate into real strength.
    - Better accessory muscle engagement.
    - More variety
    - Moving big weights are so much more motivating than moving down the weight stack of a machine
    - Extra energy used loading and unloading bars.

All of this.
    I have seen insane increase in my strength since I stopped using machines. There are a few that I still enjoy, lat pull-down and hack squat machines come to mind, but generally, I much prefer free weights. The energy output in maintaining correct form without support helps target additional muscle groups and I find really helps me focus on the muscle rather than mindlessly pushing/pulling with machine support