what size will i be ?

Options
i weigh 166 ish now, down from 184. i really want to be a a size 8 idk why probably because i never was that small before. i think im a 12 now, was a 14 before. does anyone think i will be a dress size 8 US, if i get down to 145. also have big hips so i think thats a factor also am 5' 5".

my measurements now are 36 bust 34 under bust 42 hip

opinions and maybe some similar height weight measurements would be helpful to compare.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to tell. Two people may be the same height and weight, but wear different sizes due to body composition.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Yeah what she said. I'm 163 right now, and my profile photo is of me in a size 8. So it really, really varies.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Impossible to tell. I'm 5'4" and my hips were fitting in an 8 at 145. They were about 40 inches around then. My top was a size 4 though.

Edited: This was dress size. I'm unsure of jeans.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Depends on your body type, composition, etc. Everyone's different.

But you can visit http://www.mybodygallery.com/ and enter your height, weight, age and body type to get a rough idea based on other user-submitted photos.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Pant sizes are hard to tell esp in the US. I can be a size 8 in American Eagle and a size 6 in Old Navy.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    When I weighed 174, I wore a size 12. Tight. I was nearing a 14. I went down to 142 pounds and wore a size 8 pants. I went up to 160 and still wear 8 (pants). But I have broad shoulders and enough bust that in a dress I have to wear 10 or 12. I'm 5'6 and 40" hips. I have less fat and more muscle now than when I was at 142.

A friend of mine weighs much less than me but has bigger hips, she can't wear less than a size 10, she always wishes she could be a size 8, but she can't make her hip bones any smaller. But through the shoulders and bust she is much smaller than me. We are just different shapes and different composition.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Dress size is trickier than other sizes due to tailoring. I am 214 right now and wear a size 10 in jeans, but I rarely find dresses that fit that are below size 14. They have to be big enough to allow for boobs.

You may have the same issue with your hips. Your biggest part is going to determine your dress size, even if the rest of you keeps getting smaller.
  • segacs
    Options
    I'm constantly amazed when I hear people say they're 200+ pounds wearing a size 10. I'm 127 pounds and wearing a size 10, down from the 14 I was wearing when I weighed 155.

I know sizes vary by brand, but I'm talking about an American chain vanity-sized 10, not a super-small size 10. I mean, some variance based on shape and body composition is one thing, but I really am mystified by some of these self reported sizes.

(FWIW, even at my tiniest, weighing 100-105lbs, I've never been smaller than a size 6.)
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help, because everyone has a different body, BUT:

I am 5'5" too and I have big hips. I started at 181 in a tight 14 size for jeans (I think), and then was a 12 in the 160-170s, a 10-12 in the 150s, and an 8-10 in the 140s. I am 141 now and my pants are starting to get loose again. As for dress sizes, I can probably do a 6 or 8 depending on how it is made, but because my top is small and my hips are larger (although they are starting to go away, yay!) I can fit in to smaller dress sizes than pant sizes.
  • reachingforarainbow
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I'm constantly amazed when I hear people say they're 200+ pounds wearing a size 10. I'm 127 pounds and wearing a size 10, down from the 14 I was wearing when I weighed 155.

I know sizes vary by brand, but I'm talking about an American chain vanity-sized 10, not a super-small size 10. I mean, some variance based on shape and body composition is one thing, but I really am mystified by some of these self reported sizes.

(FWIW, even at my tiniest, weighing 100-105lbs, I've never been smaller than a size 6.)

Do you live in the UK because US and UK sizing are 4 sizes apart... if you get a 6 US size, it would be 10 UK...
  • segacs
    Options
    Do you live in the UK because US and UK sizing are 4 sizes apart... if you get a 6 US size, it would be 10 UK...

Nope, I'm in Canada. Our sizes are equivalent to US sizes. I'm using Banana Republic as a reference, which has fairly generous sizes even by US standards. My current measurements are 36/30/39, and I'm 5'1".

All that to say, we're all different and there's really no magic formula to determine what size you'll be once you reach a certain weight.
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    BioQueen wrote: »
    Not sure if this will help, because everyone has a different body, BUT:

I am 5'5" too and I have big hips. I started at 181 in a tight 14 size for jeans (I think), and then was a 12 in the 160-170s, a 10-12 in the 150s, and an 8-10 in the 140s. I am 141 now and my pants are starting to get loose again. As for dress sizes, I can probably do a 6 or 8 depending on how it is made, but because my top is small and my hips are larger (although they are starting to go away, yay!) I can fit in to smaller dress sizes than pant sizes.

it sound like you have a similar shape to me thanks for input. i would be a size 8 now if it wasn't for my hips, i have every small upper frame. you look really good it gives me motivation for when i reach that weight. thanks all for your input.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there in case it helps: at 5'8 and 152 pounds I wore a US size 12. Now at 144 pounds my 10s are loose and I might be heading toward an 8. My skirt today is an eight, for example. I think it might be a large 8.

Good luck! An 8 sounds plausible for you.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    i weigh 166 ish now, down from 184. i really want to be a a size 8 idk why probably because i never was that small before. i think im a 12 now, was a 14 before. does anyone think i will be a dress size 8 US, if i get down to 145. also have big hips so i think thats a factor also am 5' 5".

my measurements now are 36 bust 34 under bust 42 hip

opinions and maybe some similar height weight measurements would be helpful to compare.

I'm super hippy and I tend to stay in a size for a long time - pants/dresses get baggier on my butt and legs, but they still fit because my hips are holding them up lol. So you may be in the same boat as me and may need to lose more before dropping a size. Or not! Nobody knows :)

• Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have a small frame, I'm 5'6' and at 148' my starting weight, I was a size 6 or 8.
    I now weigh 139 and I'm a size 4 or 6.

Hope that helps!
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add measurements: currently, 36-27-38.5. I believe I started at 37.5-30-40.5
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body. Im in between size 12 & 14 at 156lbs with a 39.5" bust, 31" waist, and 39.5" hips..my butt is rather large also.
  • TrinNZ
    TrinNZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    when I was wearing a size 8 (I'm currently a 10) I was about 150lbs. I am 5'8 and I have average hips. When it comes to your body type you can get rid of fat and you can firm up muscle but you cannot do anything about your bone structure. Maybe pay less attention to the size and more to the measurements?