What was the last straw?

Options
What was the final push you had to finally lose the weight? What was your motivation?

Replies

• chubbymybunny
    Options
    2 weeks ago got on the scale at the doctors and couldn't belive the number. Then the doctor said I was considered obese. That was it for me I was so upset with myself and how far I let myself go that I started making changes that day I have lost 4 pounds since then.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It was kind of a combination of things-- a consistent sluggish and general icky feeling crept up. Then the buttons on my shirt popped open at work one day (luckily, I had a tank top on underneath!). The official last straw was probably when I grabbed some pants out of my closet and they were a bit snug. "These can't be my 'big' pants," I thought to myself. They were.
  • rissavanwey
    Options
    I graduated from nursing school, so don't have the excuse to not have time to eat right anymore. Also, the interview clothes I bought in September were suddenly a little snug. I don't have the money to buy new clothes again!
  • raoflight
    raoflight Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My son being born. It's more than just about me now. I need to be well not only for myself, but for him.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I ran out of pants that fit. I refused to go buy a size bigger.

So I wore dresses and my loosest tight pants for a few weeks while I initially dropped some pounds.

Now I'm 3 sizes smaller and don't have any pants that fit, because they are all too big!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I wasn't overweight when it finally hit me, but I was on the high side of my weight range. After huffing and puffing my way through a 6-mile hike on my honeymoon, I decided I wanted to get in shape.
  • smfrench1
    smfrench1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Health problems of my older siblings, happening before my birthday - seemed like a wake up call. Three and a half months later, I am close to the milestone of 200 lbs (21 pounds down) and within 11 pounds of my goal weight. Has been kind of fun to get rid of old clothes that are way too big now - clean out the closet. Surprising that slow and steady weight loss has been a little easier than I expected using MFP (making sure I do some daily exercise and watching what I eat).
  • Dana_Poo283
    Options
    The last straw for me was when I stepped on the scale back on January 19th and I weighed more that what my scale would read. I was disgusted...I have now los 17.5 lbs.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Blood sugar and cholesterol spiraling out of control. It was no longer simply a matter of aesthetics.
  • applcorp
    applcorp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    After a lifetime of lower-than-normal blood pressure, it's become high enough that my doctor suggested medication for it. That coupled with the fact that next year is my fiftieth birthday, I decided I wanted to be in shape instead of "obese."

Oh, and there is a vanity factor.....I'm single and I keep looking at these gentlemen my age who are fit and healthy, and I had been thinking I'd like to date someone like that, but in order for ME to date THEM, I need to be HEALTHY like them!
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I had been off and on for a long time. Started getting serious for "swimsuit season" about 3 weeks ago. Had labs done last week. Result was that I had elevated cholesterol levels. 27 points above normal range. Not horrifying yet, but I will not take drugs for cholesterol....
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I got a new job about a year ago (switching from on my feet all day to a desk job), and now all my pretty, expensive new clothes don't fit. I've picked up a few in-the-meantime items... but I want to wear all my beautiful NEW clothes again!

Plus I had put on almost 20+ lbs in a year. If I keep going at that trajectory... I'll be at 200 lbs in another year. 200 lbs on my frame isn't healthy or attractive, ergo... weight loss.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I ended up in the hospital with severe anemia caused by stomach erosion from GERD that bled. The tests that they did showed that I also had T2 diabetes. The GERD could easily be attributed to the excess weight and the pressure on the stomach. Diabetes also is a side effect of excess weight.
  • KindaSortaKaty
    KindaSortaKaty Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wedding dress shopping.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    my orthopaedic surgeon telling me that i need dual hip replacements due to old sports injuries and a major car accident.

he said, either have surgery or lose weight.

im 33. too early for one hip replacement, let alone two.

oh, and also my daughter asking me if i had boobs.
  • Khalstead0517
    Khalstead0517 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The final straw for me was when I had to have further testing done because mt dr. thought I had breast cancer and the idea of potentially dying and leaving behind a wibderfyl husband and four kids didnt sound as aweful as living another 40+ yrs in my body! I was 5'11" and 429 lbs and barely squeezing into size 32W jeans. That was a year ago,currently have no signs of cancer...am still 5'11" and am 348 lbs...down 82 lbs and trucking along at about 2lbs a week lost.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Watching obese people 15 years older than me really struggle with health issues. I figured at 47 I had some time to change my future before it got too late.
  • senglishrose
    senglishrose Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When I remembered a poem from many years ago:

Tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow I say,
    Tomorrow will be a better day,
    Today I'll snick and today I'll snack,
    And maybe tomorrow my diet will come back.

You can't keep saying tomorrow. It will never come. I have to do it today! That has gotten me back on track.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Went to the dr after spraining my back. He looked me in the eye and said, "You are borderline morbidly obese. This will continue to happen unless you lose weight."
  • cattitude123
    cattitude123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The old health scares..High Blood pressure, developed diabetes..sucking wind at the simplest chores..and not liking who I saw in the mirror!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!