Nausea and workout?

Options
I've been doing the same kettlebell workout for about 6-7 weeks, slowly increasing intensity over the weeks. I've been using a 20lb weight, and I've been doing a variety of exercises with it, but mostly swings. Yesterday I bought two 10lb kettlebells so I could start incorporating other exercises that the 20lb was too hard for me to do, like the figure 8, rows, plank lifts. I basically followed the women's health magazine kettlebell workout, with a few more reps, and I started to feel so sick at my stomach. I kept going since I was almost finished anyway, but by the end it was really bad. Does it mean I've increased in intensity too much? I warmed up properly, and stretched after. It was a bit before the nausea went away. I had a banana as a snack before and a bottle of water. I usually only do kettelbell workouts a couple of times a week, and I run a couple of the other days, and walk at least 10k steps the other days.

Replies

• jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are either not eating or drinking enough before/during your workout. You could try eating a bit more beforehand. If that doesn't work I've found drinking BCAAs during a workout will help keep the nausea at bay for 30-60 minutes if you don't want to eat (I do this while on a deficit), but that could also be a personal thing.
  • pumpkinik06
    pumpkinik06 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find that I get really nauseous when my heart rate is high or if I'm doing a lot of intense exercising with my arms over my head or my head down (i.e. mountain climbers, planks). Do you have a heart rate monitor? My Polar lets me know when my heart rate is too high (out of the fat-burning zone). I can go above that number somewhat but it reminds me to keep an eye on it to keep myself from getting sick.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If I push myself too hard, I get pukey like that.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have to eat at least 45 minutes before I exercise, or I get nauseated. It also happens the first few times I increase weights/intensity. Oh how I love my sensitive tummy!
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I find I get really nauseous when my head is upside down - I had to stop doing yoga for that reason. I don't know if it's to do with my lowish blood pressure or what but it doesn't seem to matter when or what I eat.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    When I drastically increase intensity, I can get nauseous. Also too much water just before or during a workout (for me, it's better to keep consistent hydration, sip some after, then resume consistent hydrating sometime after my shower).

If it's from the increased intensity, and you meet with this again, I'd advise stopping if it's occurring mid-workout. Usually it means you've sort of gone past a limit, or that's how it feels to me, so no need to keep going past and past. And next time, should not feel so bad.
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It could be too intense, or you may not have eaten enough first. The cobination of those two would often get me feeling pukey mid-kickboxing class.
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I get that way if I eat anything before I work out. I always make sure to wait at least 4-5 hours after eating before I do any kind of workout. I've always been this way.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before I workout at 5am, but if I drink too much water during or immediately after I get nauseated. I have to sip during the workout and drink a little at a time after.