Skeleton on Top - Elephant on the Bottom? Please Help!

Options
Hello Everyone, I'm Sienna.

I want to keep it short and sweet so here goes.
I have over the past year and a bit lost a total of 60 pounds thanks to MFP. Everything was going good but the weight loss isn't even over my body. I was losing inches evenly all over my body but the last 15 pounds have been all upper body. My upper body is getting more thinner than I'd like. My collarbones, backbones, shoulder bones, ribs all protrude immensely. My bottom half still has so much fat that I'd like to p*ss off but just hasn't been budging as of late. I'm 6ft, 70kg - my goal was originally 70kg but i'm not happy so want to go to 60kg. I do intense weights 4 x a week and cardio 1 hour 5 days a week.

Is it just a case of waiting it out or what? Any advice?

Cheers

Replies

• SiennaL
    Options
    I don't have broad hips. There is just alot of fat around my thighs. I know under it, lies the legs I bloody want lol
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are a pear shape. This is the shape that is currently the hight of fashion- think Beyonce bum! I suggest you learn to love your curvy shape.

Be aware that pears will always be smaller on top than the bottom and no amount of weight loss will change it - Keira Knightly is very tiny but she is still actually a pear shape.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    yup gotta love us pears! theres really not too much you can do about it. you can work on toning the legs and thighs and glutes to give them more shape and definition, but sadly, we can't spot reduce fat. even when i was much thinner way back when i was in middle and high school, if you look at pics you can see that classic pear shape- thinner on top and rounder on bottom.

you can keep trying to lose some weight and see if it evens out a little (you said you had some more to go) but if it doesn't, don't hate yourself!
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ah bodies! Bloody brilliant aren't they. As others have said spot reducing is not possible. I don't know much but would doing some strength training help to add muscle and tone to the top to even it out a bit whilst you continue working on the bottom? Can any lifters advise on this? I understand your frustration but another 10 kilos is a lot. Please don't get unhealthy for aesthetics I am betting you look great already. Take care
  • KrisAZ000
    KrisAZ000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am in the same predicament as you. Skin and bones on top, but those damn thighs just won't slim down as much as I'd like. I'm shooting for another 10 pounds down. I figure at some point it *has* to come off. If not, then at least I can say I tried.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Can you post pictures? My first thought was that you aren't seeing yourself as you really are.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    So you're 6 feet tall and 155-ish pounds? Do you have a picture you could share?
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to focus on cardio leg workouts such as spinning :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    So you're 6 feet tall and 155-ish pounds? Do you have a picture you could share?

Yeah...
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm naturally pear shaped too - bony on top but still with chunky thighs. I'm focusing on lifting weights now, in an attempt to build some muscle and start to even myself out. Fingers crossed this is the right approach!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You may be bigger in the lower body, but with that height and weight if you think your bottom half is fat you may have Body dysmorphic disorder
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've never had thin legs, even at my lowest weight (107 pounds for 5'4") where all my bones were visible and my breasts had almost disappeared.

That made me truly realize what I knew (and feared): a perfect weight does not make you perfect (in terms of looks) and NO, exercises and working out does not allow you to shape your body like you want. I know it seems like common sense, but I needed to experience it to SEE that it was pointless to starve until all the fat was gone, as it would not make me more attractive - quite the opposite.

Now I am not saying it's the case for you. But just keep in mind that what the media want us to believe (i.e. that you can have whatever look you want, as long as you work for it), is total baloney.

Good luck, and take care.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Were you heavier on your bottom half when you were younger?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    6 feet and 70kgs. Without seeing you I'm finding it hard to imagine there's any fat on you at all? ?
  • SiennaL
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply! Thank you for answering everyone :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Look, this is a thing most pear shaped women deal with. (I'm a ruler/pear.)

I really feel the best thing to do is just accept that this is your shape and fat distribution. Build up the muscle in your legs so they're firm under the fat, and don't drop so much fat that the top part is overly boney.

There are lots of lovely pear-shaped women. Learn to love your shape.

• tomatoey
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Keep losing then.

Nope, not for pears who've reached the low end of their BMI. There is nothing pear-shaped women can do about fat distribution. Encouraging further loss is going into losing your period territory.
  • SiennaL
    Options
    Thank you for your answer @tomatoey. I am more of a Straight body shape though
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Yes, a picture.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    SiennaL wrote: »
    Thank you for your answer @tomatoey. I am more of a Straight body shape though

Lots of lovely straight shaped women too. :)