Change in waist but not scale, why?

Options
87aakir1yua8.jpg

So I've been lifting weights, cardio, dieting and doing the best I can. As far as appearance goes I'm liking what I see but it's not reflecting in my home scale. What causes this?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I see a big difference. Among the weightlifting crowd I think this is called "recomping".
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I see a big difference. Among the weightlifting crowd I think this is called "recomping".

Yes, improved body composition. Don't fret the scale, there appears very visible progress there. Are you utilizing measurements for comparison as well?
  • Swoopette
    Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    you have to remember the size of an oz of fat vrs the size of a oz of muscle. You are going to many comments that the scale doesnt matter its how you feel and you look. And you look good. I see the difference. We all live by that scale but you are proof scale doesnt mean everything.

Keep it up
  • kokorae
    kokorae Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, but is more compact. The more lifting you do, you replace fat with muscle. Have you tried tracking measurements vs weighing yourself? That's a better way to see progress. It's obvious from these pics you are smaller. Nice work!
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more compact than fat - you've gained muscle and lost fat. I'd say, if you like what you see (and you look fantastic, btw!) keep doing what you're doing and forget the scale.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you're making visible progress, feeling healthier, and happy with what you're seeing, what the scale says really doesn't matter much.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The changes are definitely visible!
  • bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ok. I see. It's just frustrating for me as the whole reason that I am on this weightless journey is because I just had a baby daughter 4 1/2 months ago and I had extra weight to lose. I've always been about 125lbs my whole life so when I look at the scale and see 150lbs it's discouraging. But this is my first time at lifting weights, also.
  • bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    And yes I have been taking measurements. I recently start measuring forearm and wrist to find my body fat percentage and it says I'm at 25% and I'd like to be 20%