Protein Shakes? If so, which one?

Options
chuisle
chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
Hi All!

I have really been trying to up my protein lately and I'm making progress but not quite getting to where I need to be. I know the body absorbs things better when consumed as a whole food but while I work to get to my nutrition goals with food I was considering adding a protein shake. What do you all think? And if you use one, which is it and what is its nutritional breakdown?

Thanks!

Replies

• shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump! I would like to find one too that doesn't have a gritty texture!
  • maurilax
    maurilax Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For my first 8 weeks on P90x I was using just the BCN syntha-6 protein with a blender bottle. 200 calories per serving 13g carbs/ 6g Fat/22g protein. they taste pretty good with just water, so far ive tried cookies and cream, strawberry and vanilla.

recently I added the Gold standard 100% Whey so i could increase my protein intake while not increasing my carbs.
    120calories 3g carbs 1g fat 24g protein.

I usually have 2 servings of the gold standard after a resistance work out and i use the syntha-6 for a recovery drink or before bed or after a cardio workout.

generally i will have 2-3 shakes a day after workouts. I always mix them just water and throw them in the fridge when i start my workout and they are nice and cold after.

Edit: A lot of people feel that protein powders are a waste of money, dont work whatever. I always thought like this too. when you break down the math for a price per serving per gram of protein and compare it to buying a bunch of chicken or fish I think it is very comparable. especially considering you dont have to cook or do dishes for 2 extra meals per day.
    The convenience of throwing a scoop of powder in a bottle with water has made these shakes a staple of my diet.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Protein powder is great because it's convenient.
    I'd avoid EAS or GNC. www.bodybuilding.com has cheap prices and quick shipping on protein powders.

Look into ON, Dynamatize, Xtreme Formulations, Myofusion, Scivation.

Great brands. As far as whole food protein, yes it's better and too easy to get:

Protein:

* Tuna or most any fish.
    * Cottage cheese.
    * Eggs (especially the whites).
    * Chicken breast (boneless skinless).
    * Turkey breast (boneless skinless).
    * Lean beef.
    * Low fat or no fat cheese.
    * Low fat pork.
    * Milk protein isolate.
    * Whey protein.
    * Soy protein.
    * Essentially most any other source of protein so long as it is low in saturated fat and carbohydrates.
  • Helen_Ch
    Helen_Ch Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate - Dutch Chocolate. I've tried a few other brands and it bothered my stomach so I did some research online and found that others liked this one and it was easy on the stomach. I only use 1 scoop and mix it with half a banana and water/ice and it's not gritty at all.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I drink EAS soy whey protein. I only use half a scoop cause one makes it too gritty. I had forzen strawberries, ice and water. Comes to about 150 calories
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use soy protein powder vanilla flavored and mix it with a little milk and frozen fruit in a blender. Melaleuca also has great shake options...I think the brand I currently have is gensoy.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    ON=Optimum Nutrition

I use ON 100% Natural Gold Standard Whey in Chocolate. I think this is by far the best tasting an keeps the sugar and sodium content down.

I also take ON 100% Natural Gold Standard Casein protein in Chocolate Creme. I find this brand to taste the best. It does not blend SUPER well but with a blender or shaker its not half bad. It's not as cheap but not the most expensive I have seen on the market. Normal going price is 550-55 a 5lb container. I buy them from amazon on a monthly program at like 40 dollars shipped for a 5 lber.

I have tried over 10 different brands over the last 3 years and so far this is the best without getting to pricey.

Please take note that a lot of brand have filler such as a high carb count or high in sugar or sodium. This brand so far has been the lowest for the money. Also note that any casein protein you will find will have a higher sodium content compared to a Whey protein. It's the nature of where Casein comes from.

Hope this all helps.
  • MKPRN
    MKPRN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting my protein in so I added shakes to help. I drink Muscle Milk light. I get 15gm protein for 100 calories. I buy it at Sam's Club. It comes premade in a juice box type container. I find that makes it easier for me to grab one on my way out the door or take it to work with me.
  • CLA2801
    CLA2801 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb Whey. Both the chocolate and vanilla are great.

It's as "natural" as a powder can be, and it is sweetened with stevia too!
  • JDMPWR
    Options

Dont forget to add the price in. This stuff is great but per lb it is almost double the price as protein that is just as good.
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I started using the GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. No problem with Grit and purchased a mug/glass that makes for easy mixing and cleanup. Able to mix without needing a blender just the mug/glass.

I am bumping my protein intake a-lot. Also find hard to bump protein and keep sodium incheck. Cant wait to see what is posted on this topic.

Here is my diary for the day (I did an extra hour on the bike today, and have p90x left tonight) (dinner is based on my evening workout calorie count). I will probably consume another 8oz+ of turkey or chicken tonight.

This is what I have ate so far today.
    6 strips turkey bacon (low sodium)
    1 and 1/2 cups of fat free milk
    5 eggs
    2 protein shake
    8 oz ground turkey
    2 cups of yogurt
    1/2 cup of Bear Naked protein granola
    2 cups strawberries
    1 cup carrots
    1 kashi bar
    1 cup mixed salad greens
  • CLA2801
    CLA2801 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Dont forget to add the price in. This stuff is great but per lb it is almost double the price as protein that is just as good.

OH very true. I meant to mention that! It is pricey! For somebody like me who only uses PP 1 or 2 times a week, it's not so bad, but if you use it every day, it might be cost-ineffective.

However, compared with BB brand Shakeology, it's a bargain! LOL
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My super-secret recipe:

1.5 cups Silk Regular Soy Milk
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 cup frozen blueberries (the berries are eyeballed, and the ratio can change)
    1/2 banana
    1 TBSP natural peanut butter
    2 scoops Nature's Life Soy Protein - Super-Green Pro-96

BLEND!

This breakfast has 641 calories, 68 grams of protein, no added sugar, low glycemic index/load. It is delicious, nutritious and most importantly, it keeps me satisfied all morning -- even till a late (2 PM) lunch. No sugar crashes.
  • dot513
    dot513 Posts: 38
    Options
    bump
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of protein powders and I personally like Muscle Milk. It is one of the few that dissolves completely - even in water. Tastes good - I'm picky and I want it to taste good. Is affordable (GNC has it on sale a lot). There's another brand (Fusion or something) that I like too, but MM is by far my favorite.
  • heatherlh83
    heatherlh83 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using Ultimate Nutrition Prostar.. Per scoop: 120 calories, 1g fat, (0.5g sat), 2g carb, 1g sugar, 25g protein. I usually order a 10 lb bucket from bodybuilding.com. I just go for the best deal I can get per serving on an isolate or blend with low carbs & sugar.
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm on the road too much to make my own, so I buy EAS Advantedge Chocolate Fudge protein shakes. In bulk they are just over$ 1.00 each...110 calories 17 g protein 2g carbs. I use these to supplement my whole foods intake. My goal is 80-100 g protein per day. I have max of 2 per day.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I can't do powder!!

I use oh yeah RTD or pure protein RTD;s.

Oh Yeah:
    (IIRC) cal 220, fat 9g, carbs 4g and 32g of protein

Pure Protein:
    160 cal, 1g fat, 2g carbs and 25 g of protein

I buy a 12 pack every 2 weeks for about $25.
    I happen to work at GNC, so I get a discount :)
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    I started using the GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. No problem with Grit and purchased a mug/glass that makes for easy mixing and cleanup. Able to mix without needing a blender just the mug/glass.

I am bumping my protein intake a-lot. Also find hard to bump protein and keep sodium incheck. Cant wait to see what is posted on this topic.

Here is my diary for the day (I did an extra hour on the bike today, and have p90x left tonight) (dinner is based on my evening workout calorie count). I will probably consume another 8oz+ of turkey or chicken tonight.

This is what I have ate so far today.
    6 strips turkey bacon (low sodium)
    1 and 1/2 cups of fat free milk
    5 eggs
    2 protein shake
    8 oz ground turkey
    2 cups of yogurt
    1/2 cup of Bear Naked protein granola
    2 cups strawberries
    1 cup carrots
    1 kashi bar
    1 cup mixed salad greens

Look into ON 100%Natural Whey Protein. check my log and you can see it is VERY low in sodium versus the rest of the market.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    My super-secret recipe:

1.5 cups Silk Regular Soy Milk
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 cup frozen blueberries (the berries are eyeballed, and the ratio can change)
    1/2 banana
    1 TBSP natural peanut butter
    2 scoops Nature's Life Soy Protein - Super-Green Pro-96

BLEND!

This breakfast has 641 calories, 68 grams of protein, no added sugar, low glycemic index/load. It is delicious, nutritious and most importantly, it keeps me satisfied all morning -- even till a late (2 PM) lunch. No sugar crashes.

This statement of low glycemic index is very wrong the sugar content in your fruits alone is insane. I used to make a shake just like it and cut out dam near all my fruit.