which protein bar do you eat

Options
which protein bar do you prefer to eat and why

Replies

• diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Quest. High protein, high fiber, relatively low calories, almost tastes good. I eat one a couple times a week when I am low on protein or fiber for the day and can afford the calories.
  • Rlavigne93
    Rlavigne93 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yup Quest. I think they taste amazing. High protein and fiber, low sugar and net carbs. No real junk ingredients. The only downside is that they're kind of pricey.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    They are all gross. I tried so many, I have given up. They either have a ton of sugar or worse: fake sugar/stevia, and I just can't handle the nasty aftertaste. I guess they really are just candy bars for grownups, as some call them. So instead I will eat peanuts, cheese, jerky, etc. Not much harder to carry around than a bar, a much shorter ingredient list :-)
  • ekg0328
    ekg0328 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    GoMacro - any of them. Sooooo good.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    None of the above.

Eat the chicken.
  • SR_86
    SR_86 Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I eat PhD ones (I'm in the UK) they're lovely if you put them in the microwave for 10 seconds mmm :)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I like Quest too. I have them for breakfast - I'm not a breakfast fan and have always been one of those people who feels sick when she eats in the morning, but I feel much more energetic later when I get some calories in first thing - and they're tolerable. Then I've had some protein and fibre and I don't feel like a zombie all morning but I don't have to face actual food.

Protein bars are a convenient way to get some nutrition, and there's nothing wrong with eating them. I don't understand why some people get all "but just eat some meat!" or whatever about it. Not everyone wants to cook and eat a hunk of chicken every time they need some calories/protein (and personally, the idea of a chicken breast first thing in the morning makes me want to hurl.)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I make my own. They are very similar to Quest bars and use the same key ingredients as Quest bars use to keep them low carb, high protein, and high fiber. The difference is I can make any flavor I want and they are about 1/2 the cost of Quest bars.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Not everyone wants to cook and eat a hunk of chicken every time they need some calories/protein (and personally, the idea of a chicken breast first thing in the morning makes me want to hurl.)

Me too. That's why I typically only eat it in the evening. And I'm semi-vegetarian-flexi-whatever (poultry and fish yes, other meat no) so, often, my protein comes from dairy or veggie sources, not meat.

It was an expression. My point was, you don't *have* to eat protein bars to lose weight. I think they're quite popular on MFP because there's a culture here that perpetuates them, and because once people start logging their food they often find themselves under on protein and look for easy ways to increase it.

Nothing wrong with protein bars if you enjoy them. But most of them are IMHO kinda gross tasting, and I think a lot of the nutritional claims are a bit suspect, too. If you prefer to get your protein from real food, it's not that hard.
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I find Quest bars highly unpalatable. Although they probably aren't considered protein bars, I prefer to eat Larabars.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    Not everyone wants to cook and eat a hunk of chicken every time they need some calories/protein (and personally, the idea of a chicken breast first thing in the morning makes me want to hurl.)

Me too. That's why I typically only eat it in the evening. And I'm semi-vegetarian-flexi-whatever (poultry and fish yes, other meat no) so, often, my protein comes from dairy or veggie sources, not meat.

It was an expression. My point was, you don't *have* to eat protein bars to lose weight. I think they're quite popular on MFP because there's a culture here that perpetuates them, and because once people start logging their food they often find themselves under on protein and look for easy ways to increase it.

Nothing wrong with protein bars if you enjoy them. But most of them are IMHO kinda gross tasting, and I think a lot of the nutritional claims are a bit suspect, too. If you prefer to get your protein from real food, it's not that hard.

Personally, I consider all food "real food." And I'm guessing OP does too if he or she is asking.

Protein bars aren't necessary for weight loss, of course. I don't think anyone here is saying they are. They are an awfully convenient source of nutrition though, so I don't think there's any need to demonize them if they work for people, which they clearly do.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Musclepharm- either the white chocolate raspberry or the chocolate peanut butter ones. They are so delicious.
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of protein bars - I mostly do shakes. Although when I used to eat protein bars, I really enjoyed the Special K protein bars. They taste pretty good and had a decent amount of protein in them. Not as high as Quest or some of the others, but still a good amount. Personally I would rather grab a bag of turkey jerky and get my protein boost that way.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Think Thin - Creamy Peanut Butter flavor. Yumm yumm! All natural, no sugar. Recommended by my dietitian.
  • cgrooms676
    cgrooms676 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I really like the Special K protein bars for breakfast, chocolate peanut butter are my favorite.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Not super high protein but I like Kind bars.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I make my own. They are very similar to Quest bars and use the same key ingredients as Quest bars use to keep them low carb, high protein, and high fiber. The difference is I can make any flavor I want and they are about 1/2 the cost of Quest bars.

@vismal - would you mind sharing the recipe? Or have you posted it already that you could link to? TY
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    vismal wrote: »

@vismal - would you mind sharing the recipe? Or have you posted it already that you could link to? TY

Seconded!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Quest bars - I have one for "dessert" every night to round out my day. I don't like most protein sources, aside from chicken (and I can't eat enough chicken in one meal to get in my 130g of protein). Dairy is generally a no for me, so it makes it tough sometimes.

I get the cookies and cream, and heat them up in the microwave for 18 seconds and I really enjoy them.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Quest PB&J or S'Mores, (and some other flaovrs occasionally) or Premiere Protein Crispy Bar in Mint Chocolate - tastes like thin mints! All low-ish calories and high in fiber and protein!