Running every day

Options
Is it okay to run 7 days a week (about 60 minutes every day) or should I be taking a rest day? I've read that running so frequently doesn't give the body enough time to recover, so I give myself one day every week to rest. Usually by the time my rest day comes, my muscles are begging for a break anyway. But some weeks (like this one) I just can't bring myself to take the day off; I guess I'm a little addicted. do I absolutely need to take a rest day every week?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's a very good idea. Overuse injuries are a bear and actual overtraining syndrome SUCKS. It will also help you get faster, if that's a goal: you don't build fitness during your runs, you build it during recovery. Taking a cutback week every month or so will also help you become a better runner. (Again, if that's your goal. It may not be.)

A lot of us who can't bear to sit still take an active rest day--yoga, swimming, go for a walk. :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    If you want to run every day, you should at least vary how long/hard you're running. 60 minutes every day is a long time. When I've done run streaks and run every day, some days it was just 8-10 minutes, some days it at 45-60. Personally, I'd recommend 1-2 rest days so that your legs can recover and get stronger, especially if you're new to running.
  • ecl39
    ecl39 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you both for your responses! I decided to just suck it up and take today off. I've been running for about two years now. I can't remember how I used to feel on rest days, but whenever I take a day off now, I notice my legs feel very heavy and get spasms/cramps when I bend them-- is that normal? It doesn't happen on days when I do run, and when I wake up the day following a rest day, they're not stiff or heavy anymore.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I walk 2-12 miles a day without any issues. I only run in races. I have not ever had issues with walking consistently. I have heard running more does require some rest.
  • martinmcneely1
    martinmcneely1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had similar problems in my running days, just didn't want to have a break until I got runners knee. I'm now a cyclist tbh but rest days are essential but more often than not I'll have active recovery where I'll go for a long walk( usually 1-2 hours) or have a day in the gym doing muscle groups that aren't stressed on the bike( core+upper body etc).
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    rest days are good. Your body needs it. Heavy legs on rest day is a sign rest day is needed.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I did a run streak last year for 127days and it was great. but now I'm utilizing my rest days to recover because i want to run long and longer.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are risking repetitive strain injury. My physiotherapist has me on three run days a week maximum. On non-run days I do other activities to scratch that itch to stay active.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I depends on a couple of things, mainly how resilient your body is right now and how hard you are running. If you are resilient and keep the effort level low you can run every day, and recover, and improve. If you run every day and run hard everyday you will eventually crash.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You are risking repetitive strain injury. My physiotherapist has me on three run days a week maximum. On non-run days I do other activities to scratch that itch to stay active.

This.

I never run more than 4 days per week and usually take a day off between. I've been running since 2011, race half marathons, and have never had a running injury. The days between runs I lift weights or walk; nothing high impact. Most runners who end up injured aren't giving themselves enough recovery time between runs.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    ecl39 wrote: »
    Thank you both for your responses! I decided to just suck it up and take today off. I've been running for about two years now. I can't remember how I used to feel on rest days, but whenever I take a day off now, I notice my legs feel very heavy and get spasms/cramps when I bend them-- is that normal? It doesn't happen on days when I do run, and when I wake up the day following a rest day, they're not stiff or heavy anymore.

No, that's not normal. Take a rest day.

Usually the people doing 'streaks' are experienced runners, and even then some of their runs will only be one or two miles.

Even in ultramarathon training I will max out at 6 running days a week.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

This.

I never run more than 4 days per week and usually take a day off between. I've been running since 2011, race half marathons, and have never had a running injury. The days between runs I lift weights or walk; nothing high impact. Most runners who end up injured aren't giving themselves enough recovery time between runs.

giphy.gif
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I would ask "why"? Take a rest day when you need one. I took none in December, did a bike day in January, but have taken 3 complete rests so far in February. I'm training for a marathon and can't really afford an overuse injury with it being 8w away.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    do I absolutely need to take a rest day every week?

No not necessarily. However if your body is telling you to rest, obviously listen to it. It also depends on what your experience is with running. If you have many years of 1000+ miles a year under your belt, you probably know when you need to rest. If you are relatively new, you should perhaps take it easy (or do something different on your off day like cycling or swimming).
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Can you run every day? Yes.

Should you take rest days? Yes

There is no "one size fits all" answer. It depends on a lot of factors, many of which were already mentioned. like how hard you are going, how long you have been running, what your goal is, etc. If you aren't going to take a rest day, you should have a reason for it. If you DO take a rest day, you should have a reason for that too.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I run about 3 times per week and that is because I have built in cross training days to help with my running. I rarley take a full on rest day. My rest day is typically something like yoga that will help with my running. For me personally, the three day running per week is great for me. My legs feel rested and ready to go for my runs. Like others have said you should find something that works best for you and your body.
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I always ran 5 miles every day, and did for 3 years without any problems at all. I loved it and it was the perfect start to my day. Just listen to your body. If you need a rest - take a rest.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I run every day. I am currently on a 105 day streak. You should have a solid base built up if you want to do it. I have my 'recovery' days at 2 miles. My average run is about 5-6 miles with a long run of 12-20 (20 once every two months or longer). However like most things in life YMMV.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    do I absolutely need to take a rest day every week?

Depends on your fitness/health level. For someone with a high degree of both, running 60 minutes a day, every day, won't be a problem, especially if a couple of those days are at a fairly relaxed pace.

The human body is designed to do a lot more than our modern lives typically demand of it. :drinker:

• iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A big rest day advocate :)