New Here: Have a Question about Sodium

Options
Hello All!

I started MFP this Monday and so far I am enjoying it :o) I have one question though. It kind of surprised me to see that my Sodium intake should be around 2,500. That seems like A LOT! How much sodium do yall try to take in a day or, more like, try to avoid?

Replies

• amylynn9
    amylynn9 Posts: 40
    Options
    I try my hardest to be under 2500. I don't know why, but geez sodium is in EVERYTHING. haha. I don't use salt or anything that has a huge amount like soups.
    I am still learning tho :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    once you start tracking it, you're going to see how hard it is to stay under that amount. In other countries, they recommend 1500, but in the US we have 2500, and my guess is that's because it is in EVERYTHING!

Exercising regularly and drinking all your water helps reduce the effect of sodium on your body, so do both of those!!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I just read that the american heart association has lowered it's recomendations for people over 50 and people with high blood pressure to 1300 mg a day, 2500 for everyone else. I would say stay somewhere in between if you don't have any of these issues.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I'm in the USA and I try to stay under 1500...even though MFP gives me 2500. 1500 seems to be what most doctors recommend. Though its been really REALLY hard for me to do, it can be done! lol
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I do believe the RDA lowered the guidelines to 2,300 for everyone without high blood pressure and heart conditions.
  • tazlady
    tazlady Posts: 60
    Options
    dr oz recommends 2000 mg a day. still trying to do that but everything out there has added sodium. An even better reason to get away from processed boxed and canned goods. make it fresh soups pastas etc..
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't track my sodium anymore. I am generally under the 2500 but I'm not concerned either way. This is mostly because based on my health and history, sodium is the least of my worries. But play around with what you eat, see how you feel, and adjust accordingly :)
  • Tic_Tac_Toe
    Tic_Tac_Toe Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for the information, everyone!!
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

I started MFP this Monday and so far I am enjoying it :o) I have one question though. It kind of surprised me to see that my Sodium intake should be around 2,500. That seems like A LOT! How much sodium do yall try to take in a day or, more like, try to avoid?

Your body will eliminate sodium at as much as 2,000mg per hour of heavy exercise, and the dreaded "water retention" that people try and scare you with happens both at excessively low sodium levels (~500mg or less) and excessively high ones (not sure how high, but athletes and bodybuilders consume up to 5k with no problem and no water retention, so maybe 7500?).

Unless you have a medical condition such as high cholesterol, hypertension, heart arrhythmia, etc., you don't need to watch your sodium intake. 2k is fine, 3k is fine.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Here's a question for everyone: Does sodium intake hinder weight loss or muscle growth at all? My sodium is typically higher than 2500, but I drink about 5-6 liters of water a day and work out most days. I guess I could google it, but probably won't since I'm generally a healthy eater.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I aim to have the number of mg of sodium I eat correspond to the number of calories I eat.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Here's a question for everyone: Does sodium intake hinder weight loss or muscle growth at all? My sodium is typically higher than 2500, but I drink about 5-6 liters of water a day and work out most days. I guess I could google it, but probably won't since I'm generally a healthy eater.

No, in fact sodium is required for proper muscle response and growth. Here's what GetBig.com has to say about sodium:

As most bodybuilders know, Sodium is an electrolyte that plays a vital role in the regulation of body fluids. The level of sodium in the body determines the amount of water the body will 'hold', and high intakes can cause body tissues to swell. (It is not uncommon to look like 'Quasibloato' and be up to two pounds heavier the morning after scarfing down a Big Mac and large fries.) Although a normal diet usually contains a reasonable amount of sodium, be careful not to limit sodium intake too much at contest time to get an ultra shredded look. An excessively low sodium intake turns on protective mechanisms within the body that cause sodium and water retention. Finally, keep in mind that sodium plays a major role in resistance training; its function in nerve impulse transmission and muscular contraction is critical to bodybuilders. Dietary sodium isn't all that bad, it's having the right amount that's important.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    No, in fact sodium is required for proper muscle response and growth. Here's what GetBig.com has to say about sodium:

As most bodybuilders know, Sodium is an electrolyte that plays a vital role in the regulation of body fluids. The level of sodium in the body determines the amount of water the body will 'hold', and high intakes can cause body tissues to swell. (It is not uncommon to look like 'Quasibloato' and be up to two pounds heavier the morning after scarfing down a Big Mac and large fries.) Although a normal diet usually contains a reasonable amount of sodium, be careful not to limit sodium intake too much at contest time to get an ultra shredded look. An excessively low sodium intake turns on protective mechanisms within the body that cause sodium and water retention. Finally, keep in mind that sodium plays a major role in resistance training; its function in nerve impulse transmission and muscular contraction is critical to bodybuilders. Dietary sodium isn't all that bad, it's having the right amount that's important.
    Thanks for this note...been worried about going over in sodium since it is in everything....have been REALLY conscientious about it lately...driving me batty!! Like today I have calories and fat left (have'nt even considered in exercise calories yet since I exercise at nite) but barely any sodium left!!!