New to Keto...

Options
Hi everyone! This is my first time trying a forum so all help or direction is appreciated. I just started a Keri diet about 5 days ago and I'm not sure what I think about it. I'm hitting my macros and watching calories, but I feel very fluffy, almost like I'm gaining. I haven't stepped on the scale because I'm scared it will say I'm right. Is this normal at first?

Replies

• summersondov
    summersondov Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Keto
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from personal experience: The first two weeks I'm in ketosis my body fights it all the way and sometimes that means I overeat all the steak. And I have gained weight from it. Then it smooths out and I start losing. It seems to be unusual, a lot of people experience a big weight loss rush and their appetites seem to go down faster, but it takes me awhile. So maybe you have been eating more. If you're not weighing and tracking your food, that is.
  • summersondov
    Options
    I'm tracking everything I eat, but I'm not weighing. What are your macros?
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Are you doing it for weight loss, or peripheral health benefits, or both?

If you are doing it for weight loss, then weighing in only gives you information. You cant be a girl about it, because the numbers tell you how well you are doing. The weight loss may slow and speed up at various times while in ketosis. You can measure whether or not you are in ketosis by using ketone blood test strips. They cost $2 per test, so use them wisely, but it will tell you how much your body is using fat for fuel. Educate yourself thoroughly, as it is a very specific diet that requires you stay inside the diet with no "cheat days". One cheat day coukd set you back about a week.

My macros are at about 75%F, 20%P, 5%C
  • RockstarWilson
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Btw...eat REAL butter, not margarine, and be liberal with it. Eggs are your friend, along with avocados, so find sales on those. Use heavy whipping cream in your coffee, and if you enjoy ranch, Kens Steakhouse Buttermilk Ranch is pretty much all fat with no HFCS. Use the dressing on a salad if you need to catch up on fat macro.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm tracking everything I eat, but I'm not weighing. What are your macros?

Fat: Whatever Protein: Trying to get it down a bit, I'm getting over 90g and sometimes higher. Carbs: For the first two weeks I tend to keep it around 20g or less a day. Right now I'm eating around 30g.
  • Cheesasaur
    Cheesasaur Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a reliable scale when I first started keto, so I don't know if I gained in the first few days and then had a whoosh, but by the time I got a scale 2 weeks into it, I'd lost 11 pounds. I didn't get hit with the 'keto flu' until about days 5-7 and those were rough, I felt sluggish and woozy all day. Honestly, you might as well just go ahead and check the scale. Going by feeling isn't accurate.

I've been on keto for almost a year now and my macros are around 74/19/7, I think.
  • summersondov
    Options
    I'm doing it for weight/fat loss. I don't have a lot to lose (about 10 lbs) so I know it will be a little tougher than if I had a large amount to lose. I am doing full fat EVERYTHING and it is a huge change from what I'm used to! The calculator I used said I should be at around 69/23/8 and I've been pretty consistent with those ratios so far.
  • RockstarWilson
    Options
    Use a scale when possible, so you can gauge your estimation. My estimations are pretty accurate when I dont weigh