Half marathon training

Options
Hi everyone :-)
So I've been a bit of a intermittent logger on here for a while!! I have now decided to be more serious about my weight loss, diet and exercise!! I'm training for a half marathon in July and want to be in the best condition I can for this!! A friend of mine and I are supporting each other to help us stick to an appropriate diet and exercise regime!! Only day 2 but so far so good!! Have started both days with a 5km run and plan to do this 5 days a week to fit in around kids/work then a longer run at the weekend! Trying to eat the right number of cals or there abouts and have cut out chocolate totally as this was my major down fall and I can't just stop at one piece once I start!!
I'm finding I'm a slow runner and increasing speed has been difficult in the past! I would love to complete the half in under 2 hours!! I did one 2 yrs ago at 2hrs 27min and that was hard work!! Is love to feel like it is more comfortable so I can enjoy it more!! But that's quite a chunk to cut!! At the mo my absolute fastest for 5km is 28 mins but that's hard and I couldnt maintain that speed much longer than that!! I would love any advice to help me slowly increase my speed!! I'm hoping that a regular regime and good nutrition will help too!! :-))

Replies

• meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi there, running everyday may be quite strenuous on the body, and not be as effective at increasing your speed. Check out websites like: http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/basichalf.htm for training schedules that incorporate appropriate rest days and full body circuit recommendations which may improve your time.

For me, I found that incorporating a lifting program 1-2 times per week helped increase my time because it strengthened my lower body.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I do a jog walk pattern never felt tired and completed my first half 2 weeks ago in 2:03:48. For me logging consistent miles in training was more important than speed. Leading up to my half I had not gone more than 11.5 miles and my time for that was 2 hours. I did 3-6 miles most days with one day a week being my long day. Good Luck on your Journey
  • vball83
    Options
    Hi, I agree with meryl135 that cutting down on the number of runs per week and incorporating strength training would be beneficial. This is the program I have used for the 2 halfs I've run, and will be using again for an upcoming half in September! http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
  • edf620
    Options
    If you want to run faster, you have to train faster (some of the time). You don't have to run 6 days a week, 4/week might be ok. You want a variety of workouts, for example tempo/threshold runs, hills & interval runs, and an easy pace long run.

Check out the Hal Higdon free training plans online, and try the long distance running group here on MFP. Don't get injured! Remember that easing into running and letting your muscles and tendons get used to the strain of the road/trail is really important. Stretch! Foam roll! Ice when it hurts! And 100% get the right shoes. Go to a real running store, don't just say any ol pair will do, bc they wont.

And remember the 10% rule, don't increase volume or speed by more than 10 % week over week.

but yes, being lighter definitely helps to run faster.
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I, too, agree with cutting on number of runs per week. I did my last marathon without strength training but when I do it again that is something I am sure I will add! I did three-four runs a week, the bulk of which were only 3-4 miles and then the ones on the weekends were the ones where I added miles. I started 26 weeks out so I simply added a half mile every weekend.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    meryl135 wrote: »
    Hi there, running everyday may be quite strenuous on the body, and not be as effective at increasing your speed. Check out websites like: http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/basichalf.htm for training schedules that incorporate appropriate rest days and full body circuit recommendations which may improve your time.

For me, I found that incorporating a lifting program 1-2 times per week helped increase my time because it strengthened my lower body.

For a beginner, yes. However, the easy miles are really the best way to get faster, while a targeted lifting routine will strengthen the injury prone areas. Running more is the most effective way at getting faster, but that doesn't mean all those miles need to be run faster, ifyouknowwhatimean.
  • lyndsayfletch
    lyndsayfletch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    meryl135 wrote: »

Thanks so much I will def check out the website.... I have just started a strength based routine too so hopefully that will help :-))

• lyndsayfletch
    lyndsayfletch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    edf620 wrote: »
    If you want to run faster, you have to train faster (some of the time). You don't have to run 6 days a week, 4/week might be ok. You want a variety of workouts, for example tempo/threshold runs, hills & interval runs, and an easy pace long run.

Check out the Hal Higdon free training plans online, and try the long distance running group here on MFP. Don't get injured! Remember that easing into running and letting your muscles and tendons get used to the strain of the road/trail is really important. Stretch! Foam roll! Ice when it hurts! And 100% get the right shoes. Go to a real running store, don't just say any ol pair will do, bc they wont.

And remember the 10% rule, don't increase volume or speed by more than 10 % week over week.

but yes, being lighter definitely helps to run faster.

Oh that's cool I hadn't heard of the 10% rule before..really good to know :-))