Goodbye wine...I'll miss you

Options

Replies

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    the cool thing though is once you start drinking it again your tolerance will be lower so you won't need as much to get that nice wine glow.

mark me down for one that cannot have wine in a healthy moderation. I was managing for a while, but it's been more difficult lately.

when i lost the majority of my weight i would drink just a bottle a week, and that was only on the weekends mostly. compared to...waaay to much.

it's good to cut back once in a while, give your body a break.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    karaboo20 wrote: »
    We have a bar in our house

My kind of house :heart_eyes:
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    What's funny was once I cut out weeknight beer I was left with a (mostly) healthy diet. I've altered my portions but it's obvious my weight gain was primarily a result of beer. It's laughable, really. I might as well been eating seven donuts every night.
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love it and haven't given it up. It's just not an everyday thing like it used to be.

Log it and measure it. A 5 oz. pour is a typical serving. I've been known to drink 1-3 ounces if I can't fit in more. If you love it, make room. Measuring and self-control work for me (and I've had entire bottles to myself in the past).
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    GingerSka wrote: »
    What's funny was once I cut out weeknight beer I was left with a (mostly) healthy diet. I've altered my portions but it's obvious my weight gain was primarily a result of beer. It's laughable, really. I might as well been eating seven donuts every night.

Huh. Minimum 24-36oz beer daily - wonder how that happened..............

t23raojmna23.png

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If you are only trying to lose 10 lbs you should have your loss set at 0.5 lbs/week which is a calorie deficit of 250 from your maintenance level. I highly doubt that your maintenance level wouldn't allow for a couple of glasses of wine a couple times per week. No one is saying you have to drink it daily, though I usually do, but I'm betting you can find a way to work it in if you enjoy it.
  • Gska17
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    GingerSka wrote: »

Huh. Minimum 24-36oz beer daily - wonder how that happened..............

t23raojmna23.png

Nice work! Gold star for you: (*)
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine almost every night. If I want it, I make it fit in my calories. Simple as that. But - I used to have 2-3 glasses a night. I now only have ONE.

• Lisajohnston
    Lisajohnston Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love wine but I don't cut it out I just moderate. If on occasion I have more than I should on a weekend so be it. I won't cut things out completely just cut down as for me it would not be sustainable.
  • lorddoit4me
    lorddoit4me Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I know this is a wino conversation, but anyone advise me? I am so addicted to Coca Cola!!! Its so bad. I bought a case thinking I could have maybe 2 a week...boy was I wrong. I don't care for diet pop. :p:s:'(
  • Gska17
    Options
    I know this is a wino conversation

You're fine & welcome to the conversation!

What about those mini-cans? Limit it to weekends only? Cut it with seltzer water?

• lorddoit4me
    Options
    Thanks Gingerska. I could try that. I don't recall,does seltzer water have calories? Its pretty bitter if I'm thinking of the right thing. I have trigger foods the pop and sweets. Pretty much every week I buy something and tell myself it will be my treat. .Instead I gobble it all up. Then I'm mad at me. I know I cant have certain things and I need to stay away completely!
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love me some wine and like other posters, I work out extra or eat a little less so I can fit a glass or three into my diet a few days a week. Yep self-professed wino here. But hey, good for your for kickstarting your weightloss by taking the hard steps!
    Thanks Gingerska. I could try that. I don't recall,does seltzer water have calories? Its pretty bitter if I'm thinking of the right thing.
    I think you're thinking of tonic water, which is bitter (quinine flavor) but also has as many calories as soda...it is a kind of soda, actually. SELTZER or SPARKLING water is just carbonated water. It's great to mix with soda or white wine to cut down on calories.

• lorddoit4me
    Options
    Thanks I will try that
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I know this is a wino conversation, but anyone advise me? I am so addicted to Coca Cola!!! Its so bad. I bought a case thinking I could have maybe 2 a week...boy was I wrong. I don't care for diet pop. :p:s:'(

Coca cola was a real issue for me, and I also don't like diet drinks. In 2008 I gave up Coke cold turkey (during Lent). The first two weeks were so much harder than I thought they would be, but then it got easier. I replaced it with unsweetened ice tea to ward off caffeine headaches, but it was still hard. But I never looked back. I don't drink it at all now, nor do I want to. While I really try moderation with most things, this was one time where I just had to give it up.

Now, wine.....that is a different story. I love my wine. Moderation isn't working. I'm going to have to do something....tomorrow :).
  • lorddoit4me
    Options

Coca cola was a real issue for me, and I also don't like diet drinks. In 2008 I gave up Coke cold turkey (during Lent). The first two weeks were so much harder than I thought they would be, but then it got easier. I replaced it with unsweetened ice tea to ward off caffeine headaches, but it was still hard. But I never looked back. I don't drink it at all now, nor do I want to. While I really try moderation with most things, this was one time where I just had to give it up.

Now, wine.....that is a different story. I love my wine. Moderation isn't working. I'm going to have to do something....tomorrow :).
    [/quote]

I guess we all have our vices <3
  • kathrynrf89
    kathrynrf89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I gave up wine for months for this reason. Then we were having a celebration with friends, I cracked open the bottle, and ended up drinking the whole thing over the course of the night.

I was disappointed in myself, mostly because I didn't work out the next day because of the hangover!

The main reason I stopped drinking though was because of the munchies! I end up doing way more snacking the more I drink.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Silly - prelog your wine and work your calories around it.

How many calories a day do you "get"?

As many as I want and adjust accordingly.

Never mind.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i never used to drink, then the past year i was drinking a lot of wine. still have a couple of bottles in the fridge, though ive not had any since Christmas. i do like wine.... i just like spending my calories for food instead of drinks, more. LOL

if its a big thing for you, find a way to work it into your calorie goals!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Silly - prelog your wine and work your calories around it.

this! although I've been known to have my wine and get on the elliptical afterwards!

Now that could be entertaining!