Convince me ya or nay

Options
As I have progressed through this journey I have begun to notice some muscle loss. Not unexpected with the amount of weight I have to lose. I have lost 150 lbs so far and have 30-40 lbs. to go to get where my Dr. wants me. I am not really interested in bulking up so to speak, just looking to build functional strength like I have always had. I keep looking at the TRX type systems and been doing a fair amount of reading on them. Seems like it could be a big help. Looking for input from those that have used them and their results. Can't afford a real TRX system, but the Woss systems seem to get pretty good reviews. If you have any opinion on those I would appreciate it as well. Thanks for taking the time.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’m not sensing a commitment. So, I’m not sure a purchase is going to lead to results.
  • blueridgeloner
    blueridgeloner Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I can assure you the commitment to use it is there, I'm just trying to gather information and decide a route to go. Gyms and such are out of the question, and the limited weights I have are unusable until warmer weather. They have to be in an outbuilding and there is no heat in it. I'm looking for something I can use in the house with limited space until spring, maybe at other times as well when I don't have time to get exercise in until very late evening or night
  • pink00007
    pink00007 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I haven't purchased my own, but I have tried TRX classes before and really enjoyed them.
    Maybe try a class first? Especially to learn the correct form before committing to buy?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You messed up, should have been strength training during the 150 lbs you already lost. Any work you do now can't get you anywhere near where you would have been if you lifted during the weight loss, but that doesn't mean it's hopeless. Start lifting heavy, get on a program like Stronglifts 5x5 for beginners and just follow the program and go from there. Hit it hard and hit it often and you'll get stronger.
  • blueridgeloner
    Options
    I have lifted quite a bit. The loss has come in the last couple months since it has been to cold in the building. I have retained the biggest part of my strenght. Im looking to see if trx style can help me from now till I can get back to normal weights. Stronglifts is the main thing I was doing. Classes are unfourtunatly out of the question, gotta rely on videos to learn.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    don't do it.
  • bmanlatour
    bmanlatour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've used them quite a bit at my gym. I like them. All sorts of exercises are possible. Rows, skullcrushers, single leg squats, single leg "deadlifts", arm curls, leg curls, muscle ups. I like that almost everything you do you have to brace your core really hard like a plank.

Jungle gym xt is another product that is well reviewed.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The reality is you can do many of the same movements without the TRX straps. I’ve found the TRX straps are best for scaling many exercises up by adding an instability. And I do like them for pulling exercises (I’ll occasionally carry a set when I travel and there are no available or adequate gyms in the area). Instead, I’d invest in a couple of durable pads and bring my barbell into the house (deadlift, squat, push ups, rows and overhead press).
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I bought some TRX type bands to take with me when traveling. For me, it was a (small) waste of money. Had my bag stolen - it's really the only thing I never even thought of replacing. Without a proper fixation point they are awkward, avoid the door type hooks.

I know there are people that use TRX often, and I think it can be a valuable functional/equilibrium complement but personally I would not put it as my main focus - body weight, a mat and an exercise ball are where I'd put my own effort if I couldn't get access to weights.

Your mileage will vary.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Would look into bodyweight exercises first to get you through the winter.
    No purchase required but can make the blood rush to your head (see profile picture!).

An alternative would be to dress warmly and continue to use your weights.
  • FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You want to build strength but not bulk and hit one of the big myths about weightlifting. Lifting weights does not equate to bodybuilding. Those guys train like anything for years and years to look like that and many just can't. Yes, lifting weights will put some muscle one, but you aren't going to turn into Arnold. Look at a beginner strength program like Starting Strength or StrongLifts. 4 or 5 compound lifts (multiple muscle groups at once) with linear progression designed specifically to build functional strength. Inevitably there will be some muscle growth but not bodybuilder hyerptrophy.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a kettlebell and a video to go along with it? Doesn't take much space at all, and at least you'd be somewhat entertained by the video. I did kettlebell workouts with a Paul Katami video till I bought a barbell and weights, and my husband still does them. I think the TRX workouts look really boring (but of course, that's my personal opinion).
  • dbmata
    Options
    If you're really set on TRX, go to REI.

Buy a bunch of climbing quality webbing. It's going to be sub $1 a foot. It's also going to be rated for more weight than TRX. Then, using a little basic knot work, you'll have a full modular DIYRX system.

For like $15-20 bucks.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    FullOnBurn wrote: »
    You want to build strength but not bulk and hit one of the big myths about weightlifting. Lifting weights does not equate to bodybuilding. Those guys train like anything for years and years to look like that and many just can't. Yes, lifting weights will put some muscle one, but you aren't going to turn into Arnold. Look at a beginner strength program like Starting Strength or StrongLifts. 4 or 5 compound lifts (multiple muscle groups at once) with linear progression designed specifically to build functional strength. Inevitably there will be some muscle growth but not bodybuilder hyerptrophy.

Dude was asking about a TRX like system since his weight set is in an unheated outbuilding which is unusable due to the cold.
    If you had read more than the OP before responding you would have seen that.

OP, I used the TRX at my gym when I was doing physical therapy and I did consider getting my own system to use along my regular lifting. But having to support myself off of a door just seemed sketchy to me - mostly due to living in a rental apartment and not my own home. If you can anchor it differently - like from a rafter or mount it the way the systems are in gyms, I'd go for it if the price and reviews are right. Otherwise, I'd find a body weight routine to do til the weather is better so you can go back to your regular lifting. And maybe use the savings towards insulating that outbuilding so you can use it year round.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss.

I'd get a good pair of resistance bands that can mount to a door (Bodylastics, Black Mountain, etc). They're about the same cost as the Woss, but with variable resistance.. and you can do more of the basics - squats, split squats, bent over rows, overhead press, standing chest press, torso rotations, etc. The standing position you assume with the bands is more functional for everyday life than the position with TRX, bodyweight, & bench exercises.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss.

Here's the thing, understand what you want to accomplish from a physical fitness perspective and then figure out how to get there. If you just want general conditioning then something like TRX is okay and if it will help get you exercising and active then by all means do it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    The standing position you assume with the bands is more functional for everyday life than the position with TRX, bodyweight, & bench exercises.
    lol.
  • FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    FullOnBurn wrote: »

Dude was asking about a TRX like system since his weight set is in an unheated outbuilding which is unusable due to the cold.
    If you had read more than the OP before responding you would have seen that.

OP, I used the TRX at my gym when I was doing physical therapy and I did consider getting my own system to use along my regular lifting. But having to support myself off of a door just seemed sketchy to me - mostly due to living in a rental apartment and not my own home. If you can anchor it differently - like from a rafter or mount it the way the systems are in gyms, I'd go for it if the price and reviews are right. Otherwise, I'd find a body weight routine to do til the weather is better so you can go back to your regular lifting. And maybe use the savings towards insulating that outbuilding so you can use it year round.

Perhaps if you read the full post, the context was also about building functional strength but not interested in bulking and was looking at TRX as an option. I simply presented another. But thank you for your interest.
  • blueridgeloner
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I was at Walmart today and they had a Golds gym version for very little money. Just went ahead and got it to try out and see if I like this style exercise or not. Cheap and easy way for me to find out, and I'm out less than $20 if I hate it so its worth it to me.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    What about a sandbag? There are tons of diy instructions, but basically, it'd be, get
    - a bag of sand (or rock salt, or cat litter, or gravel) - prices vary but should be sub $10
    - a duffel bag (maybe a half decent one with reinforced seams, military supply outlet)
    - heavy duty extra large ziploc freezer bags
    - duct tape

1. use a scale to pack the ziplock bags in weight increments
    2. duct tape the crap out of them
    3. put them in the duffle and close it up

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/19/sandbag-workout/