Rotator cuff surgery..kind of scared of weights

Options
Hello. I had rotator cuff surgery last April. I want to start working out as I've been doing well with my calorie intake but I'm a little fearful of the pain. Today I did my 30 day shred level one and I didn't even do the weights. I'm already feeling a bit sore in my shoulder. What should I do for overall weightloss? I work 9-10 hr days and live in Michigan where it's freezing and snowing right now. I'd like to do something besides walk on a treadmill. Thanks

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    have you talked to a physical therapist about this?
  • StephenCyrus
    StephenCyrus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    After my rotator cuff surgery it was two years before I started free weights again. Because of the extent of my injury, I go super light on the weights, but high reps. I also use an elliptical to break up the monotony of walking or treadmills. Hope this helped...
  • Garethkk
    Options
    When I broke my collarbone I had to resort to mostly leg and core work :( Sorry to hear about your rotator cuff, must be very painful.
  • amyhamilton15
    amyhamilton15 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes I finished my PT end of summer last year. I left them with a few strengthening exercises like light bands and stretches. I also left with the answer that I may never gain full strength and range of motion again. And I could possibly have to have my left shoulder done someday. I had bursitis, then cortisone shots. Finally a car accident pushed me into surgery. I just want to lose these 50 lbs and tone my whole body. I know strength training needs to be done with cardio to see results.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I had rotator cuff surgery a few years ago and I lift heavy and have no issues at all!! Take it light and work yourself up on weights.
  • amyhamilton15
    amyhamilton15 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all. I know it will take some time
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I had a torn rotator cuff, but no surgery - just PT. It took about six to eight months in PT and then I started back in classes. It probably took a year to regain most of my ability. I still (2 years later) cn't reach all the way up my back as I could before and I now use a sponge on a stick for my back in the shower. Also, I can't get my arm overhead to go completely down to the ground.

I don't have any pain though, which is the most important thing to me.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I've had 4 operations on my left shoulder in the last 5 years including rotator cuff. Due to a couple of the surgeries back to back (long story) I didn't get the range of motion back like I should have. I'm doing PT exercises daily and it's getting better.

Talk to your surgeon or PT about any restrictions you have now.