Calories burn in Yoga

Options
Type of Yoga Calories burned (1 hr / 150 lb person)

4. Hatha Yoga 189
3. Ashtanga Yoga 351
2. Bikram 477
1. Vinyasa 594

Replies

• imsmellie
    imsmellie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Where did you get this from?
  • abbey1234
    abbey1234 Posts: 9
    Options
    Any idea about Iyengar yoga please as that's what I do?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Iyengar would be the same as Hatha, but that doesn't mean you should switch! I do almost all Iyengar.:wink:

I don't believe the numbers, myself. I don't think Bikram burns more because it's hotter. Ashtanga is a harder sequence, normally even harder than most Vinyasa. (both Bikram and Vinyasa stem from Ashtanga, btw)

You get a false reading by wearing a HRM in a hot class - there is some, but not much, increased calorie burn. The only way to compare would be to wear a HRM doing each of the sequences in at the same temperature.

That said, do the yoga you love and don't worry about the calorie burn. If you want to burn calories, run.
  • mariteqsw
    Options
    Reference fitsugar.com. The numbers noted are based on calories burned (1 hr / 150 lb person)
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    How do you tell what's what?

I'm not that into yoga, just starting it because its known to help back pain. Most of the videos I pick up and read just say "Yoga." What's the difference? How do you tell?
  • rebeccacvee
    Options
    There's no way that's right. Ashtanga is much more challenging and fast-paced than any vinyasa sequence (all of which are derived from ashtanga to be easier).
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Where does Anusara Yoga come in all this? :wink: