What was the last straw?

Options

Replies

• ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    After spending my entire life morbidly obese and utterly disgusted with myself but never caring enough to actually do anything about it.. one day I decided I didn't want to live that way anymore. I was so desperate for change that I googled calorie counting and found mfp. I finally stopped feeling sorry for myself, learned about nutrition, and took control of my life.
  • kourt_phx
    kourt_phx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Having a cardiologist telling me I needed to be active. I went in for pericarditis and it's slowly getting better, I decided that I have used every excuse now so I needed to start taking my health serious.
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The short story...I found out my husband has a crush on a beautiful co-worker and I became Ms. frumpy.

The long story...My weight has been a problem most of my life which has affected my self esteem in many areas. I thought I lived in a very secure marriage and trusted my husband and never doubted his fidelity. I discovered that he wasn't satisfied sexually and started desiring other women (videos) and developed this crush on his co-worker. I found out about it and was shocked. After some self refection though, I had some fault in it. Due to my extra weight, I didn't feel sexy, wasn't intimate with him enough, he didn't communicate his needs, time went by, and then the truth came out. I knew I had to make a change. I had let myself go. I had let my weight steal my joy and peace. I wasn't taking good care of myself. My neglect for my body, over focusing on work, and being over stressed has almost cost me my marriage. I've started working out, I've lost some weight, I am at a normal BMI, my stress is taken out in the gym, and my confidence is up. Our sex life is better, still wounded with doubt, but trying to save my marriage and family. I am ten pounds away from my goal weight, and no matter what the outcome is, I will continue doing this for me.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have dropped a significant amount of weight a few times in my life. Here are the three reasons (separated by about a decade!). Always managed to keep it off for a few years but....
    1. High school grad and not wanting to look like a whale.
    2. Seeing an ex girlfriend at a wedding who looked amazing and I felt like a whale
    3. Seeing pictures of myself that made me feel old, fat and frumpy.
    and most recently after gaining a few lbs back after a successful loss last year
    4. Not fitting into a pair of jeans I love.....so before I let things slip too far I am doing something about it now!!!
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I literally spent almost of all of 2014, starting in January, saying I'm going to start losing weight today. I'd make it to Wednesday before I caved and ate/drank poorly. Then one bad day would ruin the rest of the week and I'd say Okay, Monday is a new week I'm going to start losing weight on Monday. This was a vicious repetitive cycle that lasted until December.

I honestly can't say what changed in my mind, but something clicked and I buckled down and stayed focused. It's been 3 months and I've lost almost 20 pounds. I'm shooting for another 30 by the end of August. I guess it took me a years worth of internal dialog before I acutally did something about my weight.

I have a family and I want them to be proud to be seen with me in public. Not embarassed because I the fat mom picking them up from school or dropping them off at sports.
  • egorre
    egorre Posts: 72 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    that odd feeling i got around my heart one day during work where i felt like it's pumping so hard it felt like my arteries are literally clogged. i was 21 and i felt like i'm about to get a heart attack. that's not normal. friday that week (june 6) i started walking around my apartment complex. a month later (june 8) i found out about and joined MFP and started logging daily. fast forward now i'm 90lbs down.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    On my 21 birthday (January 2014) I went out to a Mexican joint with my girls. Wearing plus size clothes I wouldn't even take off my (ex) boyfriends sweater to eat because I was so ashamed. When I saw pictures from that night and my chubby face and all my skinny girls I thought "this is it - no more fatty" and slowly but surely I have lost 50 pounds in just over a year.
  • UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Getting BACK up to 200 pounds.
  • erinp523
    erinp523 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was sick and tired of yo-yo dieting and losing the same 5lbs over and over. I never stuck to anything more than a few days and gave up on most exercise regimens after about a week and a half. When I would see pictures posted of me by others on facebook I realized how big I actually was. In addition to my personal motivation, I have seen my previously obese mother become diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, cancer, and a heart condition all before the age of 50. She had bariatric surgery a few years ago and has since become healthier but still have complications from time to time. I don't want that to happen to me so I needed to make a change.
  • jerogers4s
    jerogers4s Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I always told myself that I would do it, but would get overwhelmed or just decide I would rather be fat and happy bc all this was just too hard. Then this past January, something just clicked. I realized I had to go slow and steady. My goals started out about vanity, looking good naked, fitting into smaller sizes, etc. I had it mapped out that I would drop down to 120 in a year and a half and get smoking hot. I've only been at this for 7 weeks and consistently lost a little over a pound a week, but my goals have already changed. Now I don't really have a goal weight anymore, I just want to see where I feel most healthy at. I've fallen in love with running, so I want to build up to a 5k, then see what I can do next. I like how I feel mentally as the weight comes off. Something about changing my diet and exercising has done wonders for my mood. And mostly, I want to be a positive role model for my daughter.
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This is a great thread. It's cool to see what started people's life changes.

Seeing a 3 as the first number on the scale. I hadn't weighed myself in a while. I got on a scale at my mom's house just to see what it would say... 301 lbs. That was the final straw.

I went on a crazy unhealthy 1200 calorie diet and got down to 230 lbs. I quit because it was too hard. Bounced back and forth between 230 and 250 lbs til a year ago when I found MFP in the Google Play store.

The first number on the scale is now a 1. 193. 40 lbs down from last year at this time. It's been slow, but lifelong, sustainable progress. I love MFP!
  • beachbum4044
    beachbum4044 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My son has a weight issue, he is 14, he is my last straw. I had my health screening at work and my BMI hit the obese range. 5' 4 and 178 lbs and I was obese. My son is 5' 10 248 lbs at 14. I had to take control of my eating, show him and the rest of my family what portion control is, how to make better choices and that we can do it together. He wants to lose 40 lbs. He played basketball this year and is so proud that he can now run a mile without stopping. He has lost some weight along the way, but he is my last straw. I need to be a better role model for him. I need to show him we can do this, and to us this as an opportunity to be closer to him, to share this journey with him. Since January 6th I have dropped almost 15 lbs and over 7 inches. Mostly be diet alone. This week I have added 60 minutes of exercise and am for every day. My body is starting to change, I sleep better and I feel better. Its a win win.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I had a "final straw", but more of a lifelong accumulation of being unhappy with my weight. A few months after having my first child in 2013, I bounced back up to my highest pregnancy weight and have been there for over a year.

I started karate in October, but didn't change my eating habits. My asthma was really making it hard to get through sparring matches, and I just felt so discouraged that I was getting out of breath so easily.

Right before I rededicated to mfp, I had to buy a new pair of dress pants, and they were the highest size I'd ever bought. Two weeks later, they literally fell off of me when I wore them again. I'm hooked.
  • berry987
    berry987 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My stretchy, everyday yoga pants are now tight and uncomfortable.
  • CindyCalories
    CindyCalories Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    2 Weeks ago on the 6th February we were at my sister in laws house it was her birthday and I overheard my husbands niece telling my mother in law "Cindy gained so much" wow I was shocked and the next day I joined MFP and started doing Zumba, I don't see this girl a lot but hope when I see her again she will say "wow you look great"... XD
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to be very active when I was younger, and now that I am older and have started gaining weight I wanted to get back into shape again. I went through a breakup and it motivated me to take that time to focus on myself.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Doing bloodwork and finding out I have metabolic syndrome and am considered prediabetic. Also having 50% body fat. It's all too much. Way past time to do something.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I was contemplating how to enjoy the beach while not having to wear a swimsuit on my honeymoon. I started working out/dieting that day. I lost 20 lbs in 9 months after that.
  • David2788
    David2788 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    for me it was just being fed up of continually putting more weight on so decided to do something about. I think the main thing was seeing the pictures around Christmas
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    My doctor told me I was pre-diabetic, and I read a really scary article about visceral fat. That did it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!