Need to change eating habits

Options
Just started, need support, I always start and then fail, this time I want to win this battle of war with food, Please Help

Replies

• Lisa82OnAMission
    Options
    Hi Jen, good luck and feel free to add me for a bit of support
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Buy a kitchen scale and get used to logging your foods in the diary every day for about a week. After that you can assess/evaluate and find places to reduce calories.
  • annasteen13
    annasteen13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Be consistent, it will take time! Losing weight does not happen overnight! But if and when you do slip up ( because it happens to everybody trust me) don't beat yourself up over it! Just get back on the health train for your next meal! Enjoy your food, find a workout plan that makes you feel great and don't sweat the small stuff! Good luck! You can do this!
  • tsalowitz
    Options
    hi I'm new to all this especially this technical stuff I have a lot of weight to lose and I feel quite overwhelmed I need a network of people that will help me with the mental stuff of losing weight so please feel free to friend request me or however you do that could use the support thank you very much
  • Jenmurray6
    Options
    thanks for all the support, I really need the feedback, thank you again
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Forget most of what you have heard about dieting. Eat what you want, when you want it, as long as you stay in your calorie goal.

Read the links in the first response, they are both great. Get a food scale. Log everything every day, weather its a treat to yourself or not you have to log it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'll echo forgetting what you think you know. There's no magical combination of foods to eat (or avoid) unless you have a medical issue. There's no time of day you should or shouldn't eat. No foods "burn fat" and you can't reduce fat in one specific area. I think that covers most of it. :)

Babysteps. Start slow. Make little changes and keep doing those things until they become habit then add another change. Right now, that change should be getting into the habit of weighing and measuring your food and logging every single thing you eat. Everything down to chewing gum and vitamins. You don't need to change what you're eating or how much you're eating yet, just log it all and be brutally honest with yourself. You may not like what you're seeing but you'll learn a lot more if you can correlate what you're eating, and how many calories it contains, with why you were gaining weight.

After a week or so, look back over your diary and figure out where you can make some substitutions that will have big impact. Smaller portions at meals. Swapping one or two sweetened drinks with water or something zero calorie. Strive to stay just under your calorie goal every single day.

Exercise isn't needed for weight loss but it's important for fitness and overall health. Don't join a gym right away just start walking more. Park at the back of the lot. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Find an activity that you like whether that's walking, running, swimming, biking, Zumba, or whatever. Do something you like so that you'll want to stick with it. Working out shouldn't be something you dread each day.
  • janny668
    janny668 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new here also started a 4 week weight loss challenge with work in a team of 4 we lost almost 3 stone between us. Personally lost 16.5 in just over 4 weeks. Been playing badmington with daughter who also in team started out just us 2 now booking 2 courts and 8 of us running about, laughing. Now asked if others can come so enjoying it.
    On a bit of a downer as not lost this week but will keep going.
  • Jenmurray6
    Options
    thanks for all the hints and suggestions, I am using a diary for food and it is amazing to see the breakdown of what each food consists of, so far staying on or near calorie intake count.