Motivate Me to go to the Gym!!!

Options
Just joined a gym again. I need motivation to go by myself. For some reason, I feel weird going alone to exercise. I know the rewards will be worth it - I just need to get rid of this feeling!!

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    What I do is go to Pinterest and look up fitness inspiration and start pinning all the people who have the body I want.
  • MammaSavage
    MammaSavage Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have pinned exercises and healthy foods. Those bodies just make me depressed. Lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I cannot motivate you to do that. Just go. Pick the thing you know you won't fall off of or that you know how to turn on, and start. Try new things every week.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Stop making it optional. Think of it like brushing your teeth or going to work. It's a thing you just do, not a thing you do if you feel like it.
  • Papatoad194
    Papatoad194 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Find your self a person you know who does not care about you one way or the other. Make a deal, for every day you miss going to the gym, give him or her a twenty dollar bill( or equivalent) and have that person burn it in front of you. Don't give it to chary, don't let them keep it, have them burn and just walk away. I bet you don't miss more than twice. Unless your saving a bus full of orphans. AND you still need to give them a 20 and watch them burn it.
  • daviloreana
    daviloreana Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I guess you should start by deciding what motivates you. I love clothes, so when I do a full week of going to the gym like I'm supposed to, I buy myself a new pair of gym pants or running shoes!It keeps me looking forward to a reward when i do good things and make good choices. decide what motivates you and reward yourself!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I think about how much better I feel afterwards, both physically (like the feel of exercising, love being clean from the shower) and mentally (I know I'm doing something good for myself, establishing discipline, stick-tuit-iveness, etc.).

Just go. As Snuggle said, make it not optional. Or if you can manage it, give yourself one rest day a week. But no more.
    Nobody is going to nag you, nobody but you will be affected either way if you go or not.
    And probably nobody is going to pay any attention to you while you're there. The vast majority of people I see at the gym are just sort of there, not something I focus on & really see. (When they're hogging a machine I want, I notice.)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Stop making it optional. Think of it like brushing your teeth or going to work. It's a thing you just do, not a thing you do if you feel like it.

This!

Nobody can give you motivation, you have to find it yourself.

Put some motivating music on your iPod, plug in your headphones and head to the gym.
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is getting started, once you have gone a couple times you will feel more comfortable.
  • azneee
    azneee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    "They" say it takes 3 weeks to form a habit, good or bad. Try going to the gym 3x per week for three weeks and before you go, think of exactly what you will be comfortable doing there. Maybe it's the elliptical in the corner for 15 minutes. Maybe it's just stretching! Commit to doing just that and everyday you'll feel more comfortable. Add more variety as your comfort expands. Pretty soon, you'll own it!

Also, I find that just putting on my gym clothes is the best thing to get me out the door, even when my brain is not on board.
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym alone always have. From my photograph on the left you can see I was a big chap when I first started to go and it wasn't easy for me to take my clothes off and get into the pool in front of lots of buffed guys and ladies. Over time the other members must have watched me come and go and realised my determination to sort myself out; nowadays even though I still go alone, I have made many new friends in the gym, always positive always helpful. If you want to get fit then go for it you have nothing to lose :-)

PicsArt_1424684547647c_zpse51771db.jpg

• Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Are you scared about using the weights/machines and not knowing what you are doing? Or scared you won't look like you know what you are doing? Maybe try to find the deadest time and see if one of the front desk will show ya some things. Usually they are way nice and more than willing to help. Do you need help figuring out a routine?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I make super-awesome playlists on Spotify and my MP3 player, and promise myself I only get to listen to those songs at the gym.

I also really like the idea of scheduling a personal training session for someone to show you how to use the different equipment. Even if you already know it all, the appointment will get you in the door the first time, make it so you don't look "alone," and hopefully get you past the psychological block/self-sabotage you've got going on. (Because it's probably not a question of "not wanting to work out alone"; that's probably a proxy for some other feeling.)
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I hadn't been to a gym in about 3 years until Sunday just gone, then I went again yesterday.
    Yesterday I had my induction, and then a programme made up for me, I don't know if gyms normally do those or not? It was kind of like a personal trainer session and at the end he wrote everything down for me and they will review it again in a month. I think that really helped because he got me doing things I felt stupid doing and doing them a place I would normally avoid, in the middle of the weights when the gym was busy.... :| . In a month I want to have improved, I want them to know that I'm not just some fat chick there on a whim, that I'm there for a purpose ....to improve.

Another thing I think is a good idea, is not to tell yourself you'll go every day, if you know you can't go every day...don't set yourself up for a fail. I'm self employed and my gym is at a high school so only open before /after school times. So I know there are going to be days it clashes, like today I'm going to the hairdressers and then straight to see friends so there just won't be time. I'm aiming for 4 days a week. If I do more awesome. If I only manage the 4 I'm still winning :) x

• Saab_2015
    Saab_2015 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    There are lots of pretty people there to look, talk too and motivate you. Group classes much better than DVD at home and more socialable .. hardest bit is going there it's always better once your there
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Music playlist! This is what I do. Write down all you favourite motivating songs and how long they are, then say you want a 15 min warm up, pick songs that add up to 15 mins and that is your warm up etc etc. Not only will it let you know when to move on but it should keep you going. Some people will say it is unsociable, but I don't like the music they play at the gym so to me it's a win win. :smile:

Edit: Also have someone build you a routine, and how to build it up, so every time you go you have a goal in your head of what you want to achieve.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    pyranna wrote: »
    Just joined a gym again. I need motivation to go by myself. For some reason, I feel weird going alone to exercise. I know the rewards will be worth it - I just need to get rid of this feeling!!
    How much are you paying per month for your gym membership? If you don't go, just think how much money you're wasting.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    The motivation has to come from you. You have to figure out what your "why" is. Why did you join the gym? There must be a reason...start with that.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    OP, I totally understand. At my old job we had an onsite trainer 2 x a week, so I had a standing appointment with him on my calendar. Easy peasy. Now that I've started a new job I'm having a heckuva time getting myself to the workout room. There's no trainer or instructor, so have been struggling getting in a meaningful workout.

I feel like it's just become such a hassle (carting gym clothes on the bus, elevator ride from 33rd floor, needing a lock for the changing room, but can't leave the lock on all day, forgetting shower shoes, and so on) that I have missed several days of going.

I know, I know, woe is me.

Today I wore pants that fit fine last year (as in DECEMBER 2014), now they are a might uncomfortable and feel revealing. Ugh.

Step zero yesterday: Brought in workout gear.
    Step one today: Put invite on my work calendar!
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I too suck at going to the gym. If being alone is your major issue, then maybe you could join a spin class or like, zumba or something. Chat with people in your class and make some friends, I bet you'll find people who are interested in working out with you outside of your classes :)