My net calories are pretty low is that bad or good?

Options
wilson_76
wilson_76 Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Getting Started
I am pretty active because i play sports year round. I am supposed to eat around 1800 calories a day to lose weight. Most days i work out way over 1000 calories (just what i can list) and my net calories are only in the hundreds sometimes low hundreds. should i eat more to raise my net calories higher to 1800? I'm usually not even that hungry. any suggestions I'm new to this

Replies

• AmandaErdely
    AmandaErdely Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good question is like to know the answer to that too
  • David2788
    David2788 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    From what I have read previously on here, people tend to advise eating back half of your workout calories.
  • hungryinsomniac
    hungryinsomniac Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is fine. While taking to account your busy lifestyle check out a calorie calculator and make sure your cal intake is what is recommended. Since you want to lose weight, this is fine. Being a low net means you will lose weight faster, if youre hungry up your intake a little
  • kennetho_07
    kennetho_07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you think your calorie total is low that's fine. If you are feeling supper hungry all the time up that number and slow your wieght lose down.
  • wilson_76
    Options
    okay thanks ill make sure i get to my daily calorie suggestion and eat some of the workout calories back if I'm hungry
  • Josh_ATX
    Josh_ATX Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That sounds really low. If you aren't getting enough calories, especially with being active in sports, your body will start to metabolize lean tissue and muscle, not just fat. Ultimately it can hurt more than it helps. Keep an eye on your body fat % if you can. If you are losing body weight faster than body fat, you're probably burning muscle.

Here are a couple articles that cover what I'm talking about:
    Why Big Caloric Deficits and Lots of Activity Can Hurt Fat Loss
    What Happens to Muscle If You Lose Weight Too Fast?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MFP Exercise calories overestimate - cut them in half

Yes you should aim to reach net calories across the week which is your goal. You need to fuel your body and preserve as much LBM as possible as you lose weight.

Open your diary if you want specific advice