FitBit - JawboneUP - and other devices

Options
Anyone using any of these devices with MFP? Thinking that one with a heart rate monitor would be great. Don't think I'll care to use the "sleep mode" feature though.

Thoughts?

Replies

• _franco_
    _franco_ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Brannon,

I have been using my Garmin Vivofit for a month and it is the perfect device for me at this stage of my new training program.

I looked at the Jawbone, the Fitbit, and the Fuelband before going with the Vivofit.

PROS
    - It fits great, it's sleek, it's light and has an adjustable secure band.
    - The battery last 1 year, unlike the others which you need to recharge after 7 days....like I needed to think about charging yet another device
    - It is waterproof, not water resistant like the others. I swim, that's important
    - It has no "Hello Kitty" type features...it doesn't beep, it doesn't vibrate, it doesn't produce a fancy LED light show
    - Various colored bands are available on eBay for a couple of dollars
    - Reviews have mentioned synching issues with the Garmin Connect app. I haven't had any.
    (iPhone4S IOS 7)
    - The information is well displayed and easily toggled thru via the button
    - It sends to MFP the steps I logged and the daily calories limit gets adjusted. So as you log steps, you need to sync, that way your daily calories limit will increase allowing you a little more food. So if you reached that limit at the end of the day, log many steps, sync, then watch MFP allow you more food....for that late-night snack ;)
    - MFP data is also visible in the Garmin Connect app
    - I bought this off a friend for $80. Knowing what I know now, I would have no problem paying full price for it.

CONS
    - Can't see the display at night or in dark areas. And that's why the battery lasts so long...no illumination.
    - The Garmin Connect app is kinda bland, almost monochromatic. Other device apps are more colorful and seem to give more detailed info.

Hope this helps! Feel free to add me as a friend. We can compare devices when you settle on one.

Give me a shout if you need more info.

Cheers,

Frank