what am i doing wrong? :(

Options
Help please! Today is the first day of my third week of eating better/clean. Before that, i would get a drink and a breakfast sandwhich from starbucks, totaling 600+ calories a DAY. On top of that, i would drink at least one Red Bull....as well as a couple beers or a margarita or two. EVERY single day. I cut ALL of that out, and i started eating veggies, and staying under 1200 calories with the help of the fitnesspal app. I have not seen ONE pound or one inch come off. I have noticed that i started breaking out with big huge zits (tmi, i know...) and i have maybe had 5 zits in my 32 years on this planet....so that is really strange to me. Another thing i notice is that before, when i would weigh myself at night, i was 7-10 pounds heavier than i was in the morning. Now, I am the exact weight at night that i was when i woke up. Does that, or the breaking out, mean anything at all? Does that mean im on my way to weight loss? I heard there is such a thing as "detox pox"..and you break out when you start eating better...but I dont know..please help because i feel like giving up ...thanks!! <3

Replies

• envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Do you have some type of health issue that requires you to consume so few calories?

What is your height, weight, age and activity level?
  • christen996
    Options
    No...but when i put in my goal weight loss (2 pounds a week) and my height and weight, 1200 calories was recomended...is that too small an amount? Im 5'7", 225 pounds :*( 32 years old and just started exercising today lol
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Read http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

And http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

There is probably an issue with your logging that you could work on

But good on you for making a start ..giving up won't help you in the slightest ...stick with it and learn how to do it properly ...it gets much easier with practice
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" 211 and 25 - to get 2 pounds a week loss I eat 1450 calories a day. I don't really exercise very much but so far I've gone from 232-211. Try to be as accurate as you can with logging and understand that you won't always see consistent losses. I lose an average of 2 pounds a week, which means 1 pound some weeks, 2.5 or more others.

Also for your skin, I've found that for me personally my skin looks way better if I drink a lot of water. This is my personal experience only but it is an easy thing to try. I also stay fuller and feel better when I drink water.
  • christen996
    Options
    thats awesome disneygirl! Maybe I need to eat a little more then? If something is not on the app, and the nutritional info isnt available,i wont eat it....which is a bummer because going out to eat used to be my THING. Now, I stay at home so i can track what im eating. I feel different, thats for sure, but the scale and the measurements say otherwise. Even my daughter said i feel smaller when she gave me a hug today! But, the proof is not there :(
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The weight of an average person can fluctuate up to 5 to 8 pounds throughout the day. As women, we have even more factors to consider when we weight ourselves. Where you are in your menstrual cycle, for example, can have a significant effect on what the scale says.

If you haven't already been doing so, I would start taking measurements of your waist, hips, thighs, neck and arms. The inches on the measuring tape are a much better indicator of your progress than the number on the scale.
  • christen996
    Options
    thanks Envy!
    and thanks for all the info Rabbit :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Open your diary. If your weight has not changed in weeks, you are probably eating way more than you think you are.
  • christen996
    Options
    my question....im assuming i should rephrase it, is: Is it normal not to see any weight loss in the first two weeks?
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    my question....im assuming i should rephrase it, is: Is it normal not to see any weight loss in the first two weeks?

No, it's not typical if you're eating at a deficit. Nor is it normal to not lose weight overnight. You're both burning calories and dehydrating while you sleep, so weight drops.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

I didn't!

A lot of people see a big drop initially. A lot of other people (like me) see no change. There are a TON of threads on MFP from people who hit the 1-2 week mark with zero difference on the scale. I actually went well into week four before the scale started cooperating. (And then it paid off with a pretty big drop right away, which was gratifying).

Weight loss isn't linear, despite the appealing "X lbs per week" setting in MFP. Salt intake, shark week, stress, sickness, workouts, imprecise logging in either direction, days we choose to eat a little more because life happens, there are all sorts of reasons it's not perfect. The important thing is to find what works and keep at it. Usually 1 month is a good benchmark to assess whether something is working or not.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Use an app called HappyScale to track daily fluctuations in your weight. After 2 weeks you really have no idea if you're losing or maintaining.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Help please! Today is the first day of my third week of eating better/clean. Before that, i would get a drink and a breakfast sandwhich from starbucks, totaling 600+ calories a DAY. On top of that, i would drink at least one Red Bull....as well as a couple beers or a margarita or two. EVERY single day. I cut ALL of that out, and i started eating veggies, and staying under 1200 calories with the help of the fitnesspal app. I have not seen ONE pound or one inch come off. I have noticed that i started breaking out with big huge zits (tmi, i know...) and i have maybe had 5 zits in my 32 years on this planet....so that is really strange to me. Another thing i notice is that before, when i would weigh myself at night, i was 7-10 pounds heavier than i was in the morning. Now, I am the exact weight at night that i was when i woke up. Does that, or the breaking out, mean anything at all? Does that mean im on my way to weight loss? I heard there is such a thing as "detox pox"..and you break out when you start eating better...but I dont know..please help because i feel like giving up ...thanks!! <3

Please open your diary, usually with newbies who are struggling there are some accuracy issues which are easy to correct. Some people for example will simply put a banana as a banana rather than weigh it individually. Little things like this can add up over a week. If you're not losing weight it usually always means you're eating more than you think. But don't be disheartened by weight fluctuations, they'll always just randomly happen. By the way, there's nothing wrong with that breakfast sandwich from Starbucks. If that's what you want, go for it. You just adjust what else you eat that day accordingly. I guess the take home point of this would be:

- Weigh everything, in grams ideally.
    - Pre-log your food, it's much easier to plan before than to have to frantically readjust later on and find you're left with 20 calories for your final meal.
    - The body is weird and changes constantly.
  • christen996
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Well...this morning when i woke up, i was 5 pounds lighter! I havent seen the scale move below 225 in 2 years!
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Well...this morning when i woke up, i was 5 pounds lighter! I havent seen the scale move below 225 in 2 years!

Congratulations!

I can't speak for others, but my weight loss is generally no movement/slight increase 2 weeks a month, followed by 1 week of sudden of weight loss #ladyproblems
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options

Awesome work!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    You may be losing fat and replacing it with water weight. This can disguise weight loss. A number of things can cause you to retain water, including an increase in salt or carbs, hormonal fluctuations, and an increase in activity (especially weight lifting or other things which cause muscle atrophy.) The water weight is temporary, but it can be frustrating to not see the scale move. This is why a tape measure and progress photos are so important to get a more accurate picture of your progress.
  • LoveMyBabes3
    LoveMyBabes3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I find that weighing myself only once a week is best. Even if it is a little change it makes me happy rather than having discouraging days when there is no change. Weightloss takes time.