Anyone on around 1800 calories

Options
I am trying to eat around 1800 cals but am finding it difficult planning meals that for in with that and knowing what to eat starting out with this
At the moment I seem to be using too much during the day and having a small dinner which leaves me hungry!
How would you split this throughout the day and what sort of things would you have at each meal?
Thanks in advance x

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I would advise pre-logging! That way you won't run out of calories early in the day. How you split it depends on when you're hungrier. Are you evenly hungry throughout the day, do you get hungrier in the evening, or do you prefer a larger lunch, etc?

Note that this is all about preference... But I eat a very small breakfast, a slightly bigger lunch, and a higher calorie dinner. My remaining calories are allocated to two snacks, sometimes one will have more calories than the other, and sometimes they'll be roughly equivalent. However, in general, my snacks and meals have almost the same calories.. So it's more like eating five small meals a day. This is just the way I prefer to eat--You might like having three large meals and no snacks, for example. :)

My diary is public, and although I eat less than you (1400), maybe you can get some ideas on how to portion your meals if you take a look. :) My last two days are pretty terrible, so you might want to look at the days before that instead! ;)
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I would advise pre-logging!

I would advise that too. I log my entire day's meals in the morning, that way i can plan properly and spread my calories. I'm also on 1800 per day.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Oh, so sorry. I make a big breakfast and usually have a lot of fat in the mornings and that keeps me feeling good all day and I don't feel the need to binge at night anymore. My go to in the morning for one person is one slice of bacon panfry and diced. Toss in some chopped onion, peppers and whatever veggies you have like broccoli, mushrooms. Then toss in 60-80 grams cooked quinoa and scramble in a whole egg or 2 whites. The bacon grease is all you need to cook everything. This makes me feel great all day. I season with a little garlic salt and lawry's too. Oh and sriracha, and sometimes fage yogurt.
  • clayslc5
    clayslc5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am at 1800 calories but I don't get close to that here lately! To split it up I guess I would do about 300 calories for breakfast, 400 for lunch, and 600 for dinner. Then have 2 100 calorie snacks between meals to keep your metabolism going. That will still leave you with 100 calories to spare for wiggle room. Depending on how late you eat dinner you may want to eat a heavier lunch and a lighter dinner. Eating high protein and healthy fats keep you fuller longer! Have a smoothie with protein powder for breakfast or eat a boiled egg with the smoothie. Or I've fallen love with my veggie omlettes. Lunch I usually do a salad with chicken/turkey meat and dinner I do some kind of chicken or low fat ground beef dish (I'm not a seafood person lol). The thing I find most helpful is to plan and cook meals ahead of time so I can just grab and go. I take one afternoon and do all my prep work. It saves loads of time! Good luck! You will find the right balance that works for you!
  • anndisme2
    anndisme2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to pre-log anything, but glad it works for others. I'm usually flying by the seat of my pants (whatever that means ;-) ) and the day sucks me up before I can give thought to food! I try to add fruits and veggies whenever possible - to meals, snacks, etc. Not only does this help fill you up, but it is healthy (they contain powerful vitamins and antioxidants that fight off illness, cancer, etc!)

Best of luck to you!!
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I would advise pre-logging! That way you won't run out of calories early in the day. How you split it depends on when you're hungrier. Are you evenly hungry throughout the day, do you get hungrier in the evening, or do you prefer a larger lunch, etc?

Note that this is all about preference... But I eat a very small breakfast, a slightly bigger lunch, and a higher calorie dinner. My remaining calories are allocated to two snacks, sometimes one will have more calories than the other, and sometimes they'll be roughly equivalent. However, in general, my snacks and meals have almost the same calories.. So it's more like eating five small meals a day. This is just the way I prefer to eat--You might like having three large meals and no snacks, for example. :)

My diary is public, and although I eat less than you (1400), maybe you can get some ideas on how to portion your meals if you take a look. :) My last two days are pretty terrible, so you might want to look at the days before that instead! ;)

Exactly what I do. Makes me feel sure of what I'll be eating and that way I can decline certain foods easier knowing that I already have a meal plan fir the day.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    paradi3s wrote: »

Exactly what I do. Makes me feel sure of what I'll be eating and that way I can decline certain foods easier knowing that I already have a meal plan fir the day.

Exactly! And if you really want to have something, you know which meal you'll have to displace/sacrifice to fit it in! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree with pre-logging.

I am eating 1800 cals (plus exercise) so i eat around 300 for breakfast, 4-500 for lunch, 800ish for tea and then the rest as snacks or supper.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts are never more than 200 .. my lunch and dinner around 350-500 the rest is all snackage and evening grazing
  • SR_86
    SR_86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I log my whole week in advance and leave some calories by for snacks which I choose on the day. Works great for me.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Another vote for pre logging.

I try and push my breakfast back 1-2 hours after waking, and wait til I feel physically hungry for lunch, rather than seeing 12 on the clock and going for it. Drink lots. I like to have about 800-900 calories for dinner so split the rest equally between breakfast and lunch, and try to include lots of veg and fruit which are lower calorie for the bulk they provide.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am set to 1800. Feel free to add me. I tend to know that I like a large portion of my calories around dinner time so I try to either pre log my dinner and fill in the rest throughout the day, or if I don't have time to pre log at least reserve 800 or so for dinner and plan around that when I prepare dinner.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Definitely pre-log, makes a huge difference. Also, remember to include snacks.
  • Hellaine
    Hellaine Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm around 1800 and have a public diary for the past week or so. I mostly just do like, 300-400 calorie breakfast and lunch, then a snack at about 200 calories, then a massive dinner (I like to save calories in case I want to go out to eat or order in for dinner, my 'funner' calories haha), then save 150-200 calories for nighttime snacking.

I don't pre-log too much--usually just for hours I'm at work. But I do have a lot of 'go-to' meals I have for breakfast, lunch, snack, etc., that way I can log quickly and have a comprehensive shopping list.

I get a little hungry sometimes but I drink a lot of water and coffee between meals and keep busy so it works out.

Good luck to you :)

• szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Also a pre-logger here, although mostly my breakfast, lunch and snacks so I know how many calories are left for dinner. Mine are generally broken down as 250 for breakfast, 350 for lunch and 200-300 for snacks. That leaves half of my calories for dinner and nighttime snacks. I like to save that many for dinner because then I have more choices since I usually cook only one meal for the family and they are not usually low calorie. Then I can decide what size portion to eat of the main dish (pasta, chicken, whatever) and then can supplement with veggies to keep myself full.

The great thing is if I have something special planned (a meal out, birthday, etc) it is really easy to cut out the snacking and still stay within my calorie range.

I have learned over my two months here that protein and fat go much farther than carbs and try to center my snacks around those. I am a big fan of greek yogurt, beef jerkey and string cheese for low calorie, very filling snacks that keep me full until my next meal.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Im at ~1800 and my diary is open to friends. Anyone can feel free to friend me. I feel that i eat alot, and not all clean. But i do prelog on days i work and pack lunch. I sometimes, rarely, eat 1/2 my exercise calories. Or i go over by a little every now and then. Need more friends!
  • slimmingfairy
    slimmingfairy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
    I had never thought about pre logging but it makes perfect sense!!!
    I am not sure if I can plan dinner as easily but deffo plan my breakfast and lunch
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've been successful at 1800-2000 for a few weeks now and have an open diary. I don't eat particularly clean, but I weigh my food and log religiously. Feel free to send me a friend request if my meals may be helpful.

• kelroberts21
    kelroberts21 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1900 - 2000 calories a day, depending on my workouts, but I do pre-log. I try to do weekly (mainly for grocery lists), but usually end up editing in the morning every day. I do it mainly to make sure I hit my macros, but it has helped me stay around my calorie limits. I think my diary is open, you're welcome to check it out if it helps you!
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I also vote for pre-logging :smile: what I normally do, since I sometimes don't know what we'll be having for dinner (it's so much easier to plan but with a toddler sometimes planning can be a bit tricky) is that I add 800 quick calories to dinner and once I know what I will be making then I go ahead and replace it with whatever I actually ate. This helps me to visually stick to the 900 I still have left over for breakfast and lunch. Although breakfast and lunch are WAY easier for me since I only have to worry about myself.

I hope that makes sense! As for how I spend those 900, it can vary by day. Sometimes a larger breakfast with smaller lunch or vice versa OR smallish breakfast and smalllish luch with snacks.