Hi from Nova Scotia!

Options
Hi. I am a 41 year old from Nova Scotia, Canada and I am trying to become healthier with little baby steps. I am a horrible eater - I eat very little all day and then I eat a bunch for supper. I also love carbs and sweets. So, I'm hoping this will track what I eat and show me where I need to make improvements. And yes, I am a crazy cat lady. I have 6 - all indoor. I also have a husband and daughter. Hopefully this forum will give me some motivation and advice!

Replies

• smartnincompoop
    Options
    Hello fellow Scotian! Cheers from the East Coast!
  • fieldh1976
    Options
    I am also in NS :)
  • Jeepchic12
    Jeepchic12 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm here too :-)
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    Well.... I'm also 41, my husband is a Nova Scotian, and we hope to move back some day.... can I post in the NS Message Board too?! ;>)

When I started MFP, I just logged everything I ate. It became a routine habit, and I didn't stress about the numbers. It helped A LOT to see the calories, sodium, fat etc. in foods that had never occurred to me to be "that" unhealthy. It was also a good way to see what I was eating too much of and not getting enough of (i.e. Vitamin C/protein). And then gradually, you adjust your diet; watch that you are putting in "Canadian" foods..... i.e. US Kraft Dinner is worse than Canadian. As you said, "baby steps". I'm not on a diet, but I do watch serving sizes, try to drink my liquids, don't eat after 7:00 p.m. and try to move more. What I like too is the extensive exercise listing. Cleaning house intensively can burn up some calories! So it was also neat to see exercises and their considered value for burning calories. I'm not a gym person, but I do like walking as much as I can manage (hard at the moment after the latest ice storm and subsequent deep freeze!)...... I should look up how many calories we can lose when shivering in -30 degree Canadian winters......!
  • smartnincompoop
    Options
    Good reminder to look at Canadian inputs instead of US! I forget that more often than not and I bet it causes at lot of issues.
  • tarajeffery132
    tarajeffery132 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    im here :) and also a fitbit user if any of you are, please add me on both, together we can do this :)https://www.fitbit.com/user/2CTDYZ
  • Arch799
    Arch799 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I miss my homeland...
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Howdy neighbour, I'm in NB! Feel free to add me if you want. :smile:
  • dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I grew up in S.W Margaree in Cape Breton then spent 9 years in Truro NS before having to move here to Ontario.... I too miss home!!!! :'(
  • Quoya94
    Quoya94 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Whoa! So crazy!! I'm from NS too :)
  • joeymelias
    joeymelias Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Halifax is here too....somewhere under this snow!
  • MelanieAnne84
    MelanieAnne84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello From Dartmouth :smile:
  • jtwakes
    jtwakes Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm from ns too:)