I have PCOD and cannot seem to drop any pounds Help !

Options
kgerette1
kgerette1 Posts: 3
edited February 2015 in Motivation and Support
Any women out there with this and what helped you shed some weight. It is very hard with this even though I'm eating healthy and going to the gym 3-4 times a week. Wondering if I need to be eating differently.....low carb, etc?

Replies

• melorastar
    melorastar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have been diagnosed with PCOS so I can totally sympathise. I had been doing exactly what you have been doing since last October, but I wasn't seeing much or any results. However it was only until the end of January that I began to properly stick to reduced portion sizes (which is the hardest thing to adjust to) and incorporating vegetables as much as possible, and sticking to eating 1500 calories. I walk absolutely everywhere now, and logging in absolutely everything I eat and making sure I don't eat late. I went from 108 kilos (January) to 99 (currently). I also found drinking lots and lots of green tea really helps! You could try low carb and see if it works for you, my mother does the dukan diet and swears by it, but for me personally I like carbs too much to cut them completely out.

Again with all weight loss it might take a bit of time to see results, so stick to it and don't get disheartened because you will succeed :))
  • amsnew
    amsnew Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you're insulin resistant, lowering your carbs might help some. I don't have PCOS, but I was pre-diabetic and had insulin resistance. I think that helped make it hard for me to lose weight, even on pretty low calories. I am an "apple" shape, and a lot of my excess fat was around my waistline.

I tried very low carb, high fat (like a keto diet) and it worked great but it's kind of hard to maintain in the long run, especially if you work out a lot. After experimenting for a while, I don't even think you need to go super, super extreme. My sweet spot is 100 or less and trying to avoid as much added sugar as possible. And sugar is almost everything processed so that forces me to be really conscious of making better choices.

FYI - there are a lot of people on the MFP forums who are super against cutting sugar out or reducing carbs for some reason. I ignore them lol. Most days I try to avoid eating it, but I do indulge sometimes. I just try to eat healthier for the day if I'm planning on having something sugary. And now after cutting back, it really makes me feel pretty terrible to pound back a bunch of candy or baked goods.

You'll probably want to talk to your doctor, but some of them aren't really into the idea of going low carb for some reason. My doctor was ok with it "temporarily" but wanted to put me on metaformin and I've heard it gives some people embarrassing digestive issues. So I decided to try to tackle my diet first and if I didn't get results I was going to give it a chance. I didn't end up needing it in the end though. :smiley:
  • kgerette1
    Options
    I am not diabetic. I watch my sugars but they are mostly from fruits, etc. I have reduced my portions and most days I'm at 1200-1300 calories. I love carbs also but have trimmed way back on breads, etc. No soda, mostly water and sometimes a glass of milk. Try not to eat processed food if at all possible. I cook alot of our meals from scratch. So, I guess I just need to pitch the scale and go with my healthy choices and what will be, will be. Thanks for your input.