Sugar????

Options
I've been working hard to stay under my calorie goal, but I've noticed on days when I eat a lot of fruit, I often tend to go over my sugar goal. Is this comprising my progress, even if I'm eating under my calories? Please help

Replies

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    No. If you're under your calories you will be fine.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    MFP has a notoriously low setting for sugar (carbs). The fruit is good for you. It might help to pick something else to track, and your overall calorie goal is much more important.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    nope, doesn't matter. i always went over the sugar goal and lost weight anyway.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I go over my sugar goals nearly every single day, purely because of milk and fruit. No, it won't affect your weight loss.
    Do a search on here, there are tons of sugar threads :smile:
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    krisp007 wrote: »
    I've been working hard to stay under my calorie goal, but I've noticed on days when I eat a lot of fruit, I often tend to go over my sugar goal. Is this comprising my progress, even if I'm eating under my calories? Please help

As long as you stay under your calorie goal you will be fine. the MFP guidelines for sugar are very low. If you don't want to keep tracking sugar many people have found success swapping it out for fiber.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Most people change out the sugar goal and track fiber instead. Sugar is just part of your total carbs anyway. (Granted, so is fiber but making sure you get enough fiber is more important to overall health than tracking sugar is).
  • bespatter
    bespatter Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When I was at my smallest, my sugar (from fruit and coconut water) was at its highest, lol.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Nay
  • Smoofalz
    Smoofalz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've gone over my sugar goals a lot.. and it doesn't seem to affect my progress. I mainly just focus on my calories and I've been losing pretty much as much as predicted by MFP.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Stupid app warned me I was going over my sugar goal last night with my bedtime glass of milk. I am changing over to track fiber too.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Stupid app warned me I was going over my sugar goal last night with my bedtime glass of milk. I am changing over to track fiber too.

You are T1, right? Sounds like you already have a handle on what you need to do so why bother? My Dad died of colon cancer and a higher fiber diet is one way to reduce the risk so I will always say that making sure your fiber is high enough is more important than any sugar goal.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit, not sugar consumption, affects weight loss..

as longa s you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

as an FYI, the MFP sugar limit is insanely low.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I track fiber and calcium instead of sugar and sodium. No medical reason for me to track sugar and sodium, fiber and calcium, on the other hand....
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    15% of calories, the MFP default for sugar, is not insanely low - it is in line with various guidelines for total sugar intake.