Coughing after exercising

Options
Does anyone find themselves coughing a bit after exercising? I just had zumba and I feel the need to cough. Not a lot, but some light coughing

Replies

• karaboo20
    Options
    Probably aren't breathing correctly, or Opening your chest when you are working out
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Asthma?
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    karaboo20 wrote: »
    Probably aren't breathing correctly, or Opening your chest when you are working out
    Yeah, now that I think about it, you are most likely right.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Is it cold? Whenever I do anything in the cold, even train in my basement when it's cold I cough a lot. Years ago when I would run outside in the winter, I'd cough 'till I'd vomit. It doesn't happen when it's warm though.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    yes yes yes! Mostly after running, not after strength training. Truthfully, I haven't followed up with my dr because I don't want any bad news. I'm sure in your case it's not bad though! =)
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I had (have?) exercise-induced asthma. In HS I ran track & would cough rather violently after races, but even during practice it would sometimes be hard to take deep breaths. When I started having mild chest pains in general I went to the doctor and that was what he diagnosed it as. I had an inhaler that I only used before practice or meets. I don't really work out as vigorously now- but I would suspect I would still have a coughing fit if I had to run away from zombies or something.
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I agree. It sounds like exercise induced asthma. Have your doctor prescribe and inhaler and use it 15 minutes before you exercise and that should help.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yes - usually if I do something that gets me really out of breath (which doesn't take too much right now). I did the Couch to 5K program and, for probably the first five weeks, coughed and wheezed after each workout for up to an hour.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes! Mostly after running, not after strength training. Truthfully, I haven't followed up with my dr because I don't want any bad news. I'm sure in your case it's not bad though! =)

I think it has to do with airway constriction resulting from inhaling cold air combined with an over developed gag-reflex. This has affected my for over 27 years without any ill effects so I never really worried about it.

I would just chalk it up to one of those things.