SWEET POTATO FRIES

YOU CAN USE SWEET POTATOES OR YAMS.
PEEL AND CUT INTO DESIRED SIZE OF FRIES. I MAKE MY REAL THIN SO THEY GET CRISPY.
PUT IN LARGE BOWL
ADD SALT AND PEPPER
ABOUT A 1/4-1/2 TSP CHILI POWDER
4 CLOVES OF MINCHED GARLIC-OR USE A POTATO PEELER AND US THE SHAVINGS.
1-2 TBLS OLIVE OIL-JUST ENOUGH TO COAT THEM SO THEY BROWN
AND LOW FAT PARMA CHEESE. SRPINKLE ALL OVER.
MIX IT REAL WELL AND PUT ON A BAKING SHEET.
BAKE AT 350 FOR ABOUT 20-45 MIN. DEPENDING ON SIZE OF FRIES.
UUUMMM GOOD.

Replies

• YOU CAN USE SWEET POTATOES OR YAMS.
    PEEL AND CUT INTO DESIRED SIZE OF FRIES. I MAKE MY REAL THIN SO THEY GET CRISPY.
    PUT IN LARGE BOWL
    ADD SALT AND PEPPER
    ABOUT A 1/4-1/2 TSP CHILI POWDER
    4 CLOVES OF MINCHED GARLIC-OR USE A POTATO PEELER AND US THE SHAVINGS.
    1-2 TBLS OLIVE OIL-JUST ENOUGH TO COAT THEM SO THEY BROWN
    AND LOW FAT PARMA CHEESE. SRPINKLE ALL OVER.
    MIX IT REAL WELL AND PUT ON A BAKING SHEET.
    BAKE AT 350 FOR ABOUT 20-45 MIN. DEPENDING ON SIZE OF FRIES.
    UUUMMM GOOD.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    You can make chips in much the same way too. You can help make them crispy if that is what you enjoy by placeing them in ice water before baking them. Just another idea.

:wink:
    Eve
  • THANK YOU, I WILL TRY IT TONIGHT!!
  • sounds yummy! but whats the nutrional value on this?
  • I do this using half garnet yams, and yukon gold potatoes, but I cut them into tiny cubes, toss them lightly with olive oil, add salt, pepper and fresh rosemary. They are amazing, and really taste like a treat! I'll try them your way next time.:happy:
    As far as nutrition- you'd just have to measure everything when you make them and figure it out that way:
    i.e. how many cups of chopped potato, how much oil, parmesan, etc... then divide by the number of servings.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Thanks for the tips on making them crispier I made these last week and they came out pretty poor. Not like the ones my local restaurant serves (which I am sure are deep fried) I know I would have like them if they were crispier. So I will try this again
  • this sounds awesome! I actually have yams on my grocery list for this week; thanks for the idea!
    The only thing I'm wondering is if it's kid-friendly. I've got a 4 year old who can be picky and a very picky 2 year old. I'd like to make these enticing for them without wrecking mine and my husband's diets!!! thoughts?
  • JennaH
    JennaH Posts: 59
    Instead of salt and pepper, I like cinnimon on mine.
  • OH MY GOSH I tried them for the first time at this restaurant that we went to the other week and they kicked butt!! I'm tempted to make them at home now! Thanks for the recipe. Are they healthier than regular potatoes??
  • Here i found a recipe with the nutrition information for Sweet Potato Fries and the recipe that was included.

Sweet Potato Fries
    Serving Size: Serves 2 people; Calories: 89, Total Fat: 3.38g, Carbs: 15.02g, Protein: 30.25g

Ingredients:
    1.00 servings Cayenne Pepper
    3.00 servings Atlantic Sea Salt
    1.50 servings Olive Oil
    3.00 servings Sweet Potatoes

Instructions:
    slice potatos into fries .put in bag & add seasoning & oil. bake 400 for 10 min then flip & do 10 min
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    this sounds awesome! I actually have yams on my grocery list for this week; thanks for the idea!
    The only thing I'm wondering is if it's kid-friendly. I've got a 4 year old who can be picky and a very picky 2 year old. I'd like to make these enticing for them without wrecking mine and my husband's diets!!! thoughts?
    . My two year old who is also picky liked these even though when I made them they weren't very crispy. my 8 month old baby liked them too although she will eat anything (quarters, toys dirt) if I let her. So she is probably not a very good critic
  • Imagine how they would taste with a very light coat of Coconut Oil, a little Stevia Powder and a dusting of Cinnamon?

By the way, Coconut Oil is a Medium Chain Triglyceride and goes straight to the Kidney, it nevers enters into the bloodstream. Many think it's much healthier than using Olive Oil. The Extra Virgin Coconut Oil even has a mild Coconut taste to it, but it's a bit expensive. I can say one thing about Coconut Oil, it brings out the flavor in food much better than other oils I've used, including Olive Oil.