Meals on repeat

Options
For the past two weeks,I've eaten the exact same thing for breakfast, lunch and snacks. Dinner is more flexible. I like what I'm eating, I know how to track it and it fills me up. Is there by reason this is not a great idea?

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    For the most part I eat the same thing every day for lunch. It's easy to pack for work and fits nicely in my diary. I rotate between 2-3 different breakfasts depending on how late I am running for work. Dinner usually is chicken or beef but made differently. The only real downside to eating the same thing day in and day out is you may get really really bored. :)
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The only thing I could see in the long run may be a vitamin/mineral deficiency by a restricted diet, but that can take a really long time.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with that....if you are enjoying it. I eat the same thing every day for breakfast and I love it. I am also the type of person that never gets bored eating the same thing if I like it. So I am on repeat with you :p
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    For the past two weeks,I've eaten the exact same thing for breakfast, lunch and snacks. Dinner is more flexible. I like what I'm eating, I know how to track it and it fills me up. Is there by reason this is not a great idea?

As long as your overall diet is balanced and provides adequate nutrition, then no.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You could get bored and depending what's in these meals/snacks, you could be missing macros and vital micronutrients.

But based on a quick glance through your diary, you've got a bunch of veggies and some fruits.
    You don't seem to be logging accurately though. Picking the entries without the asterisk (*) for things like bananas, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc will be more accurate and weighing your food on a food will also be more accurate.
    You still have 75 pounds to lose so it's not pertinent to be super accurate now but if you start stalling, it's something to consider since for items like nuts, bananas, meats, etc, incorrect calorie counts can wipe out a deficit
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am similar. I almost always have the same smoothie for breakfast, lunch changes around slightly but always with the same veggie mix. My snacks don't change much either. I don't know if it is a great idea or not but I like it, it works for me and I can't think of reason to stop.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm going to vote for it's totally fine. Don't get overwhelmed trying to hit super specific nutrition goals or add variety for the sake of variety. You're full, it makes logging easier, you're happy, you're getting variation at dinner, so it sounds good to me! (Plus everyone is different. I have a friend who can't bear to repeat a food in a two-week period, and I'm happiest with a lot of repetition.)

You'll probably eventually want some change, and you can change when the time comes. Or you can make little changes. Change fruit for what's in season. Make changes for flavour (like some chocolate in your oatmeal now and then, change the herbs and spices you're using, etc).
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Just do what you enjoy and what is easiest for you. I get bored so quickly, I couldn't do that. But, if it works for you, go for it.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Look at your nutrients - you want to make sure you're getting enough 'good' and keeping the 'bad' down low normally. There's only a problem eating the same thing every day if you're creating a deficiency or getting too much of something else (sodium, saturated fat and sugar would be things to really watch in this area).
  • KateLouiseS
    KateLouiseS Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @lishie_rebooted‌ thanks for taking a look at my diary. I never noticed the astricks before.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    @lishie_rebooted‌ thanks for taking a look at my diary. I never noticed the astricks before.

That's a bigger deal at this point than the weighing. The entires without the asterisks are from the USDA database (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list) and were entered by MFP. The others were added by the users and aren't always accurate - missing macro info ex no protein in a chicken breast...
  • jennbo83
    jennbo83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem as long as the meals are well balanced and you are getting all of your nutrients.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I do it, I've eaten the same dinner quite a few times a week since I've started this. And often the same breakfast. My lunch isn't exactly wildly different every day either. It just works for me.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is a great idea. :) Make things as easy as possible in order to be successful.
  • PrzemekR
    PrzemekR Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe sometimes you should "go crazy" and change one meal once or twice a week. In that way you won't get bored and it will force you to be creative.
  • lovelylightz
    lovelylightz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    me to I really don't mind eating the same food/meal over and over and over again...there was a point where I consistently had hummus for lunch that I couldn't look at hummus again for 6+ months...till this day but I recently am craving it
  • beatnikragamuffin
    beatnikragamuffin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Snap. I'm usually very repetitive with my meals. Mostly because I know what nutritional value is in them. I tend to have the same things for breakfast, lunch and my night time snack every day, but I have several teas that I have, depending on what nutritional needs i require that day (workout day/rest day)

As long as your getting everything you need, nutrition wise and your ok with it.. then it's all good.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    When you get bored, your body is telling you to eat something else. You will be fine.