Okay, how likely is this? (Read inside.)

Options
So i went on vacation (Disney World) for ten days and just came back about 2 days ago. Before the vacation, i had lost about 20lbs in about 5 weeks. During the vacation, throughout the whole 10 days, I ate out at restaurants 2-3 times a day. Also, I had no less than 3 alcoholic beverages (margaritas, vodka-sodas, wine) daily. So i come back home from my flight, weigh myself and see that i have gained 7lbs. This is to be expected. I wanted to enjoy my vacation to the fullest and knew i was going to get back on track when i got back home. And I did. So it's been two days and according to the scale, I lost the 7lbs that i gained! So I am back to my original weight from before i went on vacay. My question is, is this really possible, to lose 7 lbs in two days? Or might my scale be defective? Any opinions and thoughts appreciated.

TL DR I went on vacation, ate and drank alot, gained 7lbs and then came back home, continued diet, and lost it in 2 days. Is it possible or could scale be defective?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Completely possible, likely, etc. I had a very similar thing happen when we went to WDW last fall. I gained 4 lbs. Got home on a Saturday. It was gone by Tuesday morning. As much as you walk around there, plus the fact that you likely didn't go whole hog at every single meal, it just all equaled out.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Perfectly possible, it was just water weight. You'll gain water weight if you eat a lot of salty foods, which was probably what you were doing, plus you'll lose water weight when you start eating in a deficit again anyway. It's why a lot of people lose lots of weight in the first week of their diet then get disappointed when they lose less the next week.

Though I'm impressed you didn't put on any fat in that time! I guess walking round the park all day probably helped :D
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    It's totally possible, and generally the gain is just water weight. Restaurant foods are typically high in sodium, you probably drank more alcohol and less water than usual, so you retain water.

Get home, get back to regular eating and bam - water drops off.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    water weight.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others, it is probably water weight.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Some people simply retain water when they travel. My wife has to wear compression stockings anytime she travels to avoid swelling in her legs.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Absolutely possible; you had water retention.
  • ShayP0879
    Options
    Plus your body was burning more calories during the trip from all the daily walking you were doing. Looks like your metabolism was just catching up and it took a couple days but.... Walla!! Basically the same thing happened to me on a 7 day cruise to Jamaica. I ate so dang much on that ship and drank Guinness and fruit juice mixed with RUM! But we hiked a waterfall...walked the ship all day every day and when we got home...only 2lb gain. I'm pretty sedentary otherwise so I think my body thought I was doing a spin class every day!
    Good for you and keep going!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    So i went on vacation (Disney World) for ten days and just came back about 2 days ago. Before the vacation, i had lost about 20lbs in about 5 weeks. During the vacation, throughout the whole 10 days, I ate out at restaurants 2-3 times a day. Also, I had no less than 3 alcoholic beverages (margaritas, vodka-sodas, wine) daily. So i come back home from my flight, weigh myself and see that i have gained 7lbs. This is to be expected. I wanted to enjoy my vacation to the fullest and knew i was going to get back on track when i got back home. And I did. So it's been two days and according to the scale, I lost the 7lbs that i gained! So I am back to my original weight from before i went on vacay. My question is, is this really possible, to lose 7 lbs in two days? Or might my scale be defective? Any opinions and thoughts appreciated.

TL DR I went on vacation, ate and drank alot, gained 7lbs and then came back home, continued diet, and lost it in 2 days. Is it possible or could scale be defective?

Sewer baby. totes legit. You just sqoze it all out.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I know it's gross, but I have a feeling I'm not alone here. Traveling always makes me constipated. It's a psychological thing that has to do with public restrooms, family in close proximity, lack of privacy, etc. That may have something to do with the rapid weight loss upon returning home, as well. It always does for me, anyway.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I find that whenever I have these mega walking days, as in the Fitbit tells me 25K+ steps, I hopefully hop on the scale, only to find I've gained weight. Water, I suspect.

You probably did take in extra calories on your Disney trip, but probably it worked out close to your TDEE for your activity level on those days. The sodium-filled foods, alcohol, and just being on your feet all day probably made you retain tons of water.

It's amazing how much water weight can make the numbers on the scale swing around. You see people get so upset on here all the time about "I gained a pound last week!" when a visit to the restroom will probably fix that, LOL.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Wow , thank you for all the answers, guys!! Super helpful.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 7lbs on a weeklong trip to WDW, then lose it in 3 to 4 days. It's not fat weight, it's water weight, glycogen and weight from all that heavy food still in my system. My rule of thumb (we go every year) is not to go near a scale for 5 days after a WDW trip.
  • 1JoshG
    1JoshG Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Definitely possible, especially if you went from drinking alcohol daily to not.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 7lbs on a weeklong trip to WDW, then lose it in 3 to 4 days. It's not fat weight, it's water weight, glycogen and weight from all that heavy food still in my system. My rule of thumb (we go every year) is not to go near a scale for 5 days after a WDW trip.

I had actually planned to wait a week or two before weighing myself to avoid disappointment for gaining weight but temptation got the best of me. I then decided it's better to know how much i gained right off the bat, so that I can get a better idea of how much i should be consuming the next time i have a vacation like this.