Protein question???

Options
I was wondering if it's bad to go over on protein even though I'm under on calories, carbs, and fat? I don't want to mess this up. Thanks!

Replies

• robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    No
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I do 80 - 100 grams per day as per my Doctor and Nutritionist.
  • amylynn9
    amylynn9 Posts: 40
    Options
    No. I believe the protein is always set so low no matter what website you use to track your food. I notice that the more protein I eat, I lose more weight.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    ^What he (robertf57) said! :happy:

P.S I have got to get me one of them white lab coats!! :tongue:
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    No, it's good to go over, especially here, the protein requirements are a little light. Especially if you are becoming more active, you'll need the extra protein for lean muscle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if it's bad to go over on protein even though I'm under on calories, carbs, and fat? I don't want to mess this up. Thanks!

No MFP sets the protein at the low end of a balanced diet 15% of total calories. Going up to 30% is fine and can be a part of a balanced diet. You can change your settings to better reflect your eating habits.
  • RachieRoo323
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel much better! Now to figure out how to change those settings...........
  • einre2005
    einre2005 Posts: 6
    Options
    I was just going to ask this.....yay, someone one step ahead of me!
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Protein is yummy. Eat it.
  • mawhite717
    mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    eat all the protein you want. just make sure its good, lean protein :o)
  • RachieRoo323
    Options
    Cool I just changed my goal to 30% protein 15% fat. This will be way more managable! A girl needs her meat!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Cool I just changed my goal to 30% protein 15% fat. This will be way more managable! A girl needs her meat!

15% fat is quite low, fat is essential and should be between 20 and 30% of total calories.

A balanced diet consists of carbs between 45 and 60%, protein from 15-30% and Fat from 20-30% of total calories.
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask this question! I am always over. I guess we're good to go, from what everyone says :)
  • dcain2
    dcain2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Any good protein suggestions? I currently eat alot of eggs, chicken, greek yogurt and protein bars but am looking for something different. Peanut butter sounds like a good option but I don't want to eat too much of that!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Yes same here, I eat Greek Yogurt, Protein Bars but was thinking about getting some of the Poweder too. Any suggestions
    for Protein Powder that doesn't taste like crap? Doe eating alot more Protein really make a difference when losing weight?
    Just curious.
  • RachieRoo323
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese has a ton of protein. Edamame, canned tuna, hard boiled eggs, low sodium deli meat, and basically any beans. Homemade hummus is a great option too. It's cheap and easy and you can put it on anything.
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yes same here, I eat Greek Yogurt, Protein Bars but was thinking about getting some of the Poweder too. Any suggestions
    for Protein Powder that doesn't taste like crap? Doe eating alot more Protein really make a difference when losing weight?
    Just curious.

I love the brand "whey gourmet". The strawberry banana is my favorite and vanilla is so good with some fruit mixed in too. And it doesn't feel gritty or leave a gross aftertaste in my mouth. I have had it almost everyday for a year now and still not sick of it!!
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just curious.

I love the brand "whey gourmet". The strawberry banana is my favorite and vanilla is so good with some fruit mixed in too. And it doesn't feel gritty or leave a gross aftertaste in my mouth. I have had it almost everyday for a year now and still not sick of it!!
  • RachieRoo323
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese has a ton of protein. Edamame, canned tuna, hard boiled eggs, low sodium deli meat, and basically any beans. Homemade hummus is a great option too. It's cheap and easy and you can put it on anything.

Green beans are considered a starch I think, but black beans, kidney beans, garbanzos etc...
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    abcwhite,

Were do you find that brand of "Whey Gourmet" at? What stores carry it? Most Protein powder I have looked
    at is very exspensive.